Many UI elements not showing up

I can't see a lot of UI elements, such as most of the Settings screen or the Training menu. I've attached screenshots to show what I mean. Note that everything is there, just invisible, as when I click various parts of the list of training missions, the displayed name and description does change. I'm on 64-bit Linux, and this happens with both the 32-bit and 64-bit KSP binaries. I have version 1.1.1.1250 of the game through Steam. This is a completely fresh, clean, unmodded installation. I've tried this on two different computers with the exact same results: one running Ubuntu 16.04 with Intel graphics, and one running Kubuntu 16.04 with AMD graphics. I note this sounds like "No text shows up in the settings menu" in the list of common problems, but I confirmed that I already have the fonts installed that are supposed to fix it.

This might help.

On 20/04/2016 at 7:25 PM, soulsource said:

While there still are some glitches, launching KSP with the "-force-glcore" command line option makes the UI work regardless of resolution and also in windowed mode. This command line switch enables the "New OpenGL Renderer" of unity, as described in the "So, how can I use it?" section of http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/05/26/dx11-features-on-mobile/ and the "Other Improvements" section of https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.2

At least with my graphics drivers, radeonsi, the new renderer has issues with shadows, but setting shadow cascades to zero improves the situation quite a bit.

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2016 at 10:48 AM, sal_vager said:

This might help.

Thank you for the tip, sal_vager, but in Ubuntu 16.04 Linux, the command associated with the desktop configuration file for KSP is "steam steam://rungameid/220200," and appending "-force-glcore" to the end of the command line seems to have no effect.  Any suggestion for running this steam program from a terminal command would be appreciated.  This invisible text problem is ruining the KSP experience for more than a few folks here.

1 hour ago, jimbotopia said:

Thank you for the tip, sal_vager, but in Ubuntu 16.04 Linux, the command associated with the desktop configuration file for KSP is "steam steam://rungameid/220200," and appending "-force-glcore" to the end of the command line seems to have no effect.  Any suggestion for running this steam program from a terminal command would be appreciated.  This invisible text problem is ruining the KSP experience for more than a few folks here.

That is Steams file, what you need to do here is slightly different.

In your Steam client right click on KSP and select Properties from the menu, on the new window that opens you need to click on 'set launch options'

This will open a smaller box, add -force-glcore to that box then click 'ok'

Close the Steam properties window and start KSP either via the Steam client or the desktop file.

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

That is Steams file, what you need to do here is slightly different.

In your Steam client right click on KSP and select Properties from the menu, on the new window that opens you need to click on 'set launch options'

This will open a smaller box, add -force-glcore to that box then click 'ok'

Close the Steam properties window and start KSP either via the Steam client or the desktop file.

Ahhh... that fixed it.  Megathanks!

Only problem now is that setting the graphics to "full screen" crashed the program at two different resolutions.  I'm able to get it full screen by setting the res to 2560x1440 (native res of my monitor).  With the default render settings it's slightly laggy with my NVIDIA GK107M, but very playable.  Thanks again!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.