Your Best Acronyms!

Ultimate Steve

Exactly as the title says, this is a thread for the best acronyms that you have come up with for your vessels in KSP.

Mine:

E.L.M.O. - Extremely Low Munar Orbiter. My first major mission in KSP 1.1. It once missed the surface by less than two meters.

HD-VECTORS - High Delta-Vee Exploratory Craft Trying Or Retrying Scan Sat. This was my resource scanner for all five moons of Jool. It actually still has some fuel left. It is currently orbiting Pol.

SSTOKERS - Single Stage To Orbit Kerbal Emergency Rescue System. I never actually built this, but I came up with the cool acronym one day.

What are yours?

My most recent acronym for the name of a vessel/module in KSP is the Overly.Massive.Braking. Jool Fueled Heatshield, or O.M.B. Jool Fueled Heatshield.

The acronym within the name is to reference OMB Demolition Enterprises, the in-game manufacturer for the inflatable heatshield. See for yourself the proportions of such a shield docked (at a bad angle, though that's fixed by now) to a certain proportionally massive DysonCube Station! WjzPyxL.png

Don't worry, the EVA Struts mod will allow me to build struts off the EVA strut bases hidden on the heatshield, to strengthen the connection so the contraption doesn't fly off as if a frisbee.

And sure, attaching a lag-bait (not in in itself (an exception is the seconds per frame slideshow resulting in inflating the heatshield)) 1,000 part shield to a 1,500 part station, with visual mods in the background, will only leave KSP running at 3-5 frames per second, which of course won't be a problem during an actual aerobrake.

Edited by LaytheDragon

Science Platform And Roving Terrain Assessment - SPARTA

SPARTA I thru XVIII were largely identical, landing and transmitting science while a rover detached and hunted for a nearby flat region for a future crewed landing.

SSTM-LAB - Single Stage To Mun Landing And Back (would be best if it actually had a Lab, but I've never managed that)
SLAGIATT - Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time (had plenty of these!)
ROCKET - Rapid Orbital Crew Kapture Emergency Transport (pushing it a bit, but a crew recovery class craft, and like all good acronyms it's vague and confusing; "quick a Kerbal needs rescuing...launch the ROCKET!"..."erm, which one"..."No! The R.O.C.K.E.T")

33 minutes ago, katateochi said:

ROCKET - Rapid Orbital Crew Kapture Emergency Transport (pushing it a bit, but a crew recovery class craft, and like all good acronyms it's vague and confusing; "quick a Kerbal needs rescuing...launch the ROCKET!"..."erm, which one"..."No! The R.O.C.K.E.T")

Reminds me of A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

21 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Reminds me of A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S.

Well, the way to make killer acronyms is to figure out what you want to have it spell, and then make up words that vaguely describe what you want. for example:

Any Contrived Randomly Ordered Nomenclature (for) Your Message (A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.)

USLV: Ultra Small Launch Vehicle

PJW-SSTO: Please just work, Single Stage To Orbit

KISS: Kerbal International Space Station.

SPM: Standardized propulsion module.

UZS: Unified Zed System.

S.C.I Plane: Science.Collecting.Instrument, Plane.

Edited by Dfthu

They aren't funny. but:

A tug is an Interplanetary Service Module (ISM)

A rover usually comes with a Delivery and Extraction Vehicle (DEV)

My space-jeep is a Manned Multipurpose Interplanetary Vehicle (MMIpV) pronounced "mip-vee" 

And of course every mission has a TLA (three letter acronym)

Joolian Exploratory Fleet (JEF)

Solar Resource Survey (SRS)

etc

I don't usually put much effort into naming stuff, but I've got a couple.

• G.O.N.A.D.S (Geostationary Observational Nanosat for Advanced Detailing Surveys)
  • E.C.O (Earth Climate Observer)

I usually launch a constellation of 17 GONADS at a time because they are so small.

14 hours ago, LordKael said:

Well, the way to make killer acronyms is to figure out what you want to have it spell, and then make up words that vaguely describe what you want. for example:

Indeed, take my sig for example...

Oh, I have a few...

• WALIS - Wide Area Light and Infrared Surveyor (WISE analog)
  • LIRA - Land Imaging for Reconnaissance Applications (Landsat analog)
  • ARGO - Altimetry of the Rising Global Oceans (Jason-3 Analog)
  • BEERS - Belt Exploration & Electron Radiation Surveyor (Theres two of them, BEERS 1 "Ale" and BEERS 2 "Lager")
  • HADES - Heliophysics And Dynamic Energies Surveyor
  • KEOMAST - KEOstionary Meterological Analysis STation (GOES analog)
  • OXBO - Orbital Xray Band Observatory
  • GOOSE - Gamma ray Operational Orbiting Surveyor Explorer
  • KOMPASS - Kerbin Orbital Measurement of Position Applied Satellite System (Long and drawn out way of saying GPS/GNSS)
  • ASTRO (Astronomy Space Telescope & Research Orbiter

Then there's my interplanetary exploration probes...

• ESSARI - Eve Surface Synthetic Apature Radar Imaging
  • DAEMON - Duna Atmospheric EnvironMent ObservatioN
  • MMFX - Moho Multiple Flyby eXplorer
    • Possible mission extension name: MOXI - Moho Orbital eXploration & Imaging
  • MARCO - Multiple Asteroid Rendezvous, Capture, & Observation
  • DOMINO - Dres Orbiter Mission and IN-situ Observation
  • EJIDO - Extra-Joolian Interceptor for Dwarf Objects
  • LASER - Laythe Atmosphere Study and Environment Research

Did I say a few? Must have gotten carried away. :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.