You find that the reaction wheels are unrealisticly powerful?

REACTION WHEELS BALANCE  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Does SQUAD should rebalance the reaction wheels?

• YES
    • NO

Hello, I'm not an expert, but I think that the reaction wheels power are very (too) powerfull...

This is a lil bit of cheating isn't it?

For example, take the Mk1-2 Command Pod, jettison it on space, and apply full pitch or/and roll... The pod will just rotate close to the light speed and the Kerbals inside will just have a brain attack.

This issue have to effect to make useless the RCS for the little ships...

Thanks and regards.

EDIT: to complete my statement:

The RCS is just totally useless in attitude adjustement for a regular sized ship...

I think this is a lack in the gameplay, because the reaction wheels are very light (more light than a RCS tank :)).

It is more intressting to add a SAS module than an RCS with monoproplent tanks...

Please, read the statements in this thread before voting...

Edited by Braker

9 minutes ago, Braker said:

This issue have to effect to make useless the RCS for the little ships...

RCS is very much useful for docking. But meh, I quite like the reaction wheels the way they are. Depends on everyone, I guess

1 minute ago, Atlas2342 said:

RCS is very much useful for docking. But meh, I quite like the reaction wheels the way they are. Depends on everyone, I guess

Yeah, I forgot this aspect of things, but my point of view is the same...

In reality, you can't change the attitude of a big shuttle with the reaction wheels in the Mk3 Cockpit.

So, if you build a Jool capable ship (for example), and there is no docking planned in the mission, you don't need RCS to control the ship attitude... Even if the ship's mass is about 10 tons...

This is, I think, a lack in the gameplay, because it is just very strange/awkward/weird to go to Jool without RCS and RCS fuel...

The RCS is just "eye candy" in this case and not realy useful.

Edited by Braker

RCS can be used to translate while reaction wheels can only rotate the craft around it's center axis. They have two very different purposes in that respect. 

That said, either one can be used to assist in getting the ships nose to point in the desired direction and in that case you have to decide between taking a bunch of monoprop/RCS thrusters or solar panels/batteries/reaction wheels.

I think it's fine the way it is, and offers an interesting gameplay choice between using one or the other, or a hybrid of both on each craft. Removing viable choices is never a good thing,

20 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

RCS can be used to translate while reaction wheels can only rotate the craft around it's center axis. They have two very different purposes in that respect. 

That said, either one can be used to assist in getting the ships nose to point in the desired direction and in that case you have to decide between taking a bunch of monoprop/RCS thrusters or solar panels/batteries/reaction wheels.

I think it's fine the way it is, and offers an interesting gameplay choice between using one or the other, or a hybrid of both on each craft. Removing viable choices is never a good thing,

Read my post above. The RCS are useless in attitude ajustement...

+ the battery of a Mk1-2 Command pod with one solar panel is suffcient to use the reaction wheels and to take 999°/s of angular speed...

Edited by Braker

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Check your own poll above.

No one has a problem with the reaction wheels the way they are.

If you dislike them so much go change their values in the part files, or make a mod for it. I see little chance of Squad changing them if they haven't yet in all this time.

There is only 5 votes at this time...

There is more than 1 000 000 KSP players.

I respect your point of view, so respect the mine also...

That is not a problem, I just ask for a game adjustment.

Edited by Braker

3 minutes ago, Braker said:

There is only 5 votes at this time...

There is more than 1 000 000 KSP players.

I respect your point of view, so respect the mine also...

That is not a problem, I just ask for a game adjustment.

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I've seen this topic come up before and the resounding response is usually "they are fine as they are."

I'm not sure why you think it's "weird" or "unacceptable" to send a space ship off without RCS. Depending on the design it may or not need it, just like any other part.

KSP is a game first and foremost, trying to force it into the constraints of the real world is only going to make it less fun. Besides, if you feel reaction wheels are "cheaty"...maybe just don't use them on your craft? No one is making you.

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You're certainly welcome to your opinion. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I've seen this topic come up before and the resounding response is usually "they are fine as they are."

I'm not sure why you think it's "weird" or "unacceptable" to send a space ship off without RCS. Depending on the design it may or not need it, just like any other part.

KSP is a game first and foremost, trying to force it into the constraints of the real world is only going to make it less fun. Besides, if you feel reaction wheels are "cheaty"...maybe just don't use them on your craft? No one is making you.

The succes of KSP is the correct balance between realism and fun... I think the reaction wheels are too funny and should be more realistic. (Not fully realistic, just more...)

Best the game is balanced, best is it...

EDIT: the peopole  who say: "They are fine as they are.", Have they correctly studied the question?

Edited by Braker

Well, is it important to you that it's changed for everyone or would you be happy with a mod so those that wanted it more realistic could have it? It would be very easy!

This is an example of a reaction wheel craft file:

PART
{
    name = sasModule
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko
    mesh = model.mu
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 0.5
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.1822218, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1822218, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    TechRequired = flightControl
    entryCost = 3200
    cost = 600
    category = Control
    subcategory = 0
    title = Small Inline Reaction Wheel
    description = The inline reaction wheel system uses a series of spinning discs that are going "Very Fast", to generate the torque necessary to control a spacecraft without wasting any propellant. Please do not attempt to service this device while it is running.
    attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
    mass = 0.05
    dragModelType = default
    maximum_drag = 0.2
    minimum_drag = 0.2
    angularDrag = 2
    crashTolerance = 9
    maxTemp = 2000 // = 3400
    bulkheadProfiles = size0
    tags = cmg command control fly gyro moment react stab steer torque
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleReactionWheel
        PitchTorque = 5
        YawTorque = 5
        RollTorque = 5
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            rate = 0.25

}
    }
}

The bold part is the reaction wheel stuff, you could halve all those values for example, maybe increase the electric charge required? Be the change you want to see in the world! Make a mod for it!

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Well, is it important to you that it's changed for everyone or would you be happy with a mod so those that wanted it more realistic could have it? It would be very easy!

This is an example of a reaction wheel craft file:

[...]

The bold part is the reaction wheel stuff, you could halve all those values for example, maybe increase the electric charge required? Be the change you want to see in the world! Make a mod for it!

Yeah, I already know that...

And yes, I ask for a balance in the stock game...

Edited by Braker

For some things, the grossly overpowered reaction wheels are pretty much necessary (VTOL planes are a good example, they become incredibly difficult without them). 

Since getting into RO I've stopped using reaction wheels on orbital stuff, and use RCS instead. Because it's more challenging, more realistic, and looks cool.

I don't think they need adjustment in the stock game. Players can choose to use them or not as they see fit.

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

For some things, the grossly overpowered reaction wheels are pretty much necessary (VTOL planes are a good example, they become incredibly difficult without them). 

Since getting into RO I've stopped using reaction wheels on orbital stuff, and use RCS instead. Because it's more challenging, more realistic, and looks cool.

I don't think they need adjustment in the stock game. Players can choose to use them or not as they see fit.

You can use the RCS and vectoring thrust for VTOL... (Like in reality... :p)

I not agree with that : "I don't think they need adjustment in the stock game. Players can choose to use them or not as they see fit." In this case, you can add what ever cheating parts in the game and the users are free to not use them...

What do you think about that: adjusting the reaction wheels torque according to the difficulty level... SQUAD already did that for the reantry heat.

Edited by Braker

2 hours ago, Braker said:

Please, read the statements in this thread before voting...

The issue is not that people are not reading. The issue is that your poll gives two options, when you only meant there to be one.

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

The issue is not that people are not reading. The issue is that your poll gives two options, when you only meant there to be one.

I'm just defending my point of view...

I don't force anyone to vote "YES"...

If you've ever tried rotating a large craft with just a probe core's reaction wheels, you realize how much of a pain wimpy reaction wheels are. I think they are good as is for gameplay reasons- taking way more time to do a maneuver doesn't excite me very much.

6 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

If you've ever tried rotating a large craft with just a probe core's reaction wheels, you realize how much of a pain wimpy reaction wheels are. I think they are good as is for gameplay reasons- taking way more time to do a maneuver doesn't excite me very much.

Just put two ADV SAS modules... No need to use RCS, and the SAS modules are more light than monoproplant tanks... :)

Edited by Braker

Yes, reaction wheels are stupidly OP and not realistic at all.

KSP is not realistic at all, so stupidly OP reaction wheels are legit. If you want more realism you can play Realism Overhaul with Saturable Reaction Wheels.

Edited by Gaarst

8 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Yes, reaction wheels are stupidly OP and not realistic at all.

KSP is not realistic at all, so stupidly OP reaction wheels are legit. If you want more realism you can play Realism Overhaul with Saturable Reaction Wheels.

There is a difference between "full realistic", "stupidly OP" and 'balanced"...

I just want to make the reaction wheels "balanced"... In order to make the RCS more useful.

Edited by Braker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.