Kaa253

Tracking station vessel renaming gone?

47 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, NathanKell said:

The problem is the rename dialog allows you to change vessel type. You could change the flag to be of type ship.

That was really useful functionality, actually. If the game mistakenly decided something was debris, you could fix that. Or if you had a ship and permanently landed it, you could change it to be a base. Or a station. That helped filter the tracking station view.

It never occurred to me to retype a flag. If the flags are the problem, then I suggest reinstating the retype functionality but locking it out of certain types (EVA, flag).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way individual users can fix this by making the relevant change to a data file or whatever? Renaming (and re-classifying) vessels via the Tracking Station is a feature I use often enough that I'm not interested in upgrading to 1.1 until it's fixed (or fixable).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2016 at 8:23 AM, Enceos said:

I know Targetron had that feature in the past.

I installed the mod, but unfortunately it only lets you rename vessels that are loaded in your physics range, so it's not really workable. Although this mod makes it ez to switch vessels so it might stay in my install :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2016 at 0:40 AM, AbacusWizard said:

Is there any way individual users can fix this by making the relevant change to a data file or whatever? Renaming (and re-classifying) vessels via the Tracking Station is a feature I use often enough that I'm not interested in upgrading to 1.1 until it's fixed (or fixable).

It works in 1.1.1, so you can upgrade safely to that version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I was holding off until 1.1.2 specifically because 1.1.1 looked so buggy. I am disappointed that 1.1.2 introduces more new bugs right before an apparent hiatus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AbacusWizard said:

Eh, I was holding off until 1.1.2 specifically because 1.1.1 looked so buggy. I am disappointed that 1.1.2 introduces more new bugs right before an apparent hiatus.

The only problem I have in 1.1.1 is exploding landing gears. Sometimes I loose them on takeoff, workaround is having more gears to reduce stress. Rover wheels behave sturdier. Other than that 1.1.1 is completely playable and all mods work flawlessly for me.

Also I found that the front gear for planes stops slipping when you reduce traction to 0.5, and the rear gears behave nicely and brake faster if they have traction 2.0

Edited by Enceos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I thought, I was going insane. Glad to know this bug is already being dealt with! :D

I frequently re-classify vessels as debris. Satellites from contracts, empty capsules from rescue contracts and some other stuff. Otherwise my tracking station would get extremely crowded!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MajorNr01 said:

And I thought, I was going insane. Glad to know this bug is already being dealt with! :D

I frequently re-classify vessels as debris. Satellites from contracts, empty capsules from rescue contracts and some other stuff. Otherwise my tracking station would get extremely crowded!

As a workaround, you could delete them.  Inactive vessels are still updated, and consume system resources.   Not an enormous amount of resources of course (much less than the active craft.. much, much less), but it's still a non-zero drain.   Deleting the vessels clears away this drain.

The only advantage to keeping 'em is the potential of being Kessler'd by one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2016 at 10:28 PM, NathanKell said:

The problem is the rename dialog allows you to change vessel type. You could change the flag to be of type ship.

I too always considered this a useful feature. Not only does the automatic system often mistakenly name ships as landers and stations as debris, but planting a flag at KSC and retyping it to "base" allowed me to have a convenient indicator of where KSC was on the night side of the planet while hiding the numerous flags I'd placed elsewhere.
As far as I could tell, retyping flags never caused any problems for me.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait whaaaaaat? This was a thing? That'll be really useful once it's fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Renegrade said:

As a workaround, you could delete them.  Inactive vessels are still updated, and consume system resources.   Not an enormous amount of resources of course (much less than the active craft.. much, much less), but it's still a non-zero drain.   Deleting the vessels clears away this drain.

The only advantage to keeping 'em is the potential of being Kessler'd by one...

Sure, but I personally prefer not to delete vessels. Too unrealistic. Especially considering that it is very well possible to collect and clear space junk.

 

That is why I made a small plugin to replace the broken feature so I can continue playing the way I preferred to play before: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/rename-vessel-in-tracking-station-zip-archive (Hopefully this one gets approved soon...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MajorNr01 said:

Sure, but I personally prefer not to delete vessels. Too unrealistic. Especially considering that it is very well possible to collect and clear space junk.

 

That is why I made a small plugin to replace the broken feature so I can continue playing the way I preferred to play before: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/rename-vessel-in-tracking-station-zip-archive (Hopefully this one gets approved soon...)

Where do I find the license and source code for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MajorNr01 said:

Sure, but I personally prefer not to delete vessels. Too unrealistic. Especially considering that it is very well possible to collect and clear space junk.

Uh, y'know, you could just consider that "deleting" the vessel is simply removing it from being actively tracked.  Also, the game WILL eventually delete debris unless you set it to 'unlimited' for debris count (very, very strongly dis-recommended).... also I wouldn't worry so much about realism when you can very well have some bit of debris eternally orbiting Kerbin with a PE of 30km, never experiencing any drag even though it should be turning into a ball of expanding plasma at that point..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
16 hours ago, NathanKell said:

@MajorNr01 oh cool, I'll have to grab that. Github maybe? :)

 

16 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Where do I find the license and source code for this?

The plugin itself can be found here: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/rename-vessel-in-tracking-station
I uploaded the source code aswell (just a single file) but that has yet to be approved.

 
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MajorNr01 Thanks for this plugin, it works quite well.

I have a small request if you have some time though. IS there a way to make the button's location configurable? I have a few mods installed and it overlaps their buttons on the toolbar. As a workaround i'm just exiting the tracking station and re-entering it so I don't have a vessel selected.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2016 at 10:47 PM, Renegrade said:

Oh oops, that's a good point.  I do hope renaming flags eventually does come back, as I do make that mistake still and usually fix it via the tracking center..

FYI, I just discovered you can still rename flags from the Tracking Center in 1.1.2.  Double-clicking the flag name in Info brings up the renaming and reclassifying dialog. I successfully renamed my flag after realizing Jeb forgot to do it. This currently only works with flags as far as I can tell. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Phi Zeroth said:

FYI, I just discovered you can still rename flags from the Tracking Center in 1.1.2.  Double-clicking the flag name in Info brings up the renaming and reclassifying dialog. I successfully renamed my flag after realizing Jeb forgot to do it. This currently only works with flags as far as I can tell. :rolleyes:

Read the last page.  Nathan knows, it's exactly backward from what it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least in 1.1.3 (didn't try to rename vessel in 1.1.2) renaming vessels from tracking station is back. The only change is, that you need doubleclick vessel name in info box (in 1.0.5 single click did its work well). Tried on one of my space stations. No mods needed to do that.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see its back, just patiently waiting on my key mods to get an update so I can fix all my different satellite and probe name into some kind of sane naming convention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys just found the fix in the tracking station click on the ship you want to rename then click the I in the lower right hand corner then juse double tap the ships name 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thread's over a year old, folks. Everyone involved has presumably long since gotten their answers.

Locking to prevent further confusion. If you have further questions in this area, please feel free to start up a new thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.