Ion engine rovers

Following my recent post on the pros and cons of Ion Engine and the overwhelming amount of response, I've noticed that a few of you fellow kerbonauts use ion engines mainly for your rovers. That's the background of this challenge. 

-- Mission --

Get to Minmus using a stock only lifter that has a rover powered by ion engines only (No delta V). Then you must land the rover/probe on the surface and drive around. While there be creative, maybe add some science parts for those of you in career mode?

That is about it for the mission, if you attempt and/or complete this mission share your screenshots and your experiences on this thread! 

Thanks again, 

- Mr_Kerbal

:confused::confused::confused:

On 5/2/2016 at 10:37 AM, Teilnehmer said:

I use ion rovers and like them very much.There’s nothing so challenging about it.

Interesting!  I really like the "flip-proof" triangular wheel set.

...but since you don't have solar panels (that I can see in any case) of fuel cell array, how does this rover recharge its battery?

1 hour ago, royying said:

I think ion rover is the only type of rover that can work on low gravity body before 1.1, so it is not a challenge for me:sticktongue:

I actually drove across minmus equator with an electric rover, it sucks and you need to have damn good reaction to put the reaction wheels on if you don't have such a genius idea as the guy with the triangular wheels. It works.

1 hour ago, Teilnehmer said:

RTG.

Aaah rigth, I just spotted them. It must take a while with only 2 RTGs, though. Unless you have more clipped in of course :)

Hi! My favorite part about ion rovers has always been their unlimited top speed. As long as you're light on your wheels, they just keep on accelerating. A long time ago, I put an ion dragster on Minmus, but the modern wheels make the mission a real treat. I edited down the mission, wrote in some dialogue and timed it to music from incompetech. I think it's worth the watch!

Don't mind the random planet. It was photobombing from another project, and I just decided to roll with it. Thanks for the challenge, Mr. Kerbal. I've got a few other creative entries that I've designed but not documented, and I'll try to work them in as time goes.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

And I’m also impressed by the rocket size for such a light rover :)

It's my standard career heavy lifter, believe it or not! Career mode hasn't broken me yet :">

It also helps when you know your deltaV budget in advance:
3km/s Vertical launch from Kerbin
1km/s Minmus transfer
2km/s totally faffing about

I like your triangular design with the opposed engines for accel/deccel, btw!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.