On the nature of this sub's discussions. (Diverted from another thread.)

The issue is that the Internet can provide incorrect answers, and doesn't always answer the question in the desired way. And even if it does, then separating the fact from fiction is an entire skill into itself.

In any case, it's good to have more sources.

19 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

And even if it does, then separating the fact from fiction is an entire skill into itself.

In any case, it's good to have more sources.

You have summarized the value of doing a bit of research beautifully :)

8 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Yeah but the forum and its users can technically be sources too...

That is why learning about the quality and value of sources is important. However, as you can read in my post on the previous page, this is not a case of or, but one of and. The forums can provide incredible value.

3 minutes ago, Camacha said:

That is why learning about the quality and value of sources is important. However, as you can read in my post on the previous page, this is not a case of or, but one of and. The forums can provide incredible value.

I'm trying to point out that the internet, and googling, can be innacurate. So, it's sometimes a good idea to ask people on the forum. 

33 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

I'm trying to point out that the internet, and googling, can be innacurate. So, it's sometimes a good idea to ask people on the forum. 

You mean that unknown strangers on a forum are never inaccurate? :wink: I do not quite understand why people insist on making research and the forums mutually exclusive. They can amplify each other in incredible ways and both grow the question asker and the community as a whole. However, I feel I am repeating myself, so maybe rereading my post on the previous page might prove helpful, because that post argued exactly that :)

Edited by Camacha

3 hours ago, Camacha said:

You mean that unknown strangers on a forum are never inaccurate? :wink: I do not quite understand why people insist on making research and the forums mutually exclusive. They can amplify each other in incredible ways and both grow the question asker and the community as a whole. However, I feel I am repeating myself, so maybe rereading my post on the previous page might prove helpful, because that post argued exactly that :)

I'm not saying they're mutualky exclusive. Rather, the Internet outside of the forums is not always capable of the things forum goers ask.

Just now, Bill Phil said:

I'm not saying they're mutualky exclusive. Rather, the Internet outside of the forums is not always capable of the things forum goers ask.

Nothing I said excludes this notion, so I am not sure what it is that you are actually arguing. I feel the basic point of my post remains ignored.

In this case, and in many other cases, the internet is very much capable of answering those questions at least in part - and not rarely in full. However, even if we suppose the chances of success are much more limited, steering people towards at least finding out whether the internet (or other sources) outside of the forums has information will benefit us all, for reasons explained, and make for much more diverse and interesting conversations to boot. In the discussion that follows we can toy with insights based on that information, or fill the gaps with more rare and curious facts that we each dug up during our own respective quests. Questioning things and finding information about those things is such a valuable skill to learn that it seems cruel to withhold that. We should celebrate and foster the quest for knowledge.

17 hours ago, Camacha said:

Nothing I said excludes this notion, so I am not sure what it is that you are actually arguing. I feel the basic point of my post remains ignored.

In this case, and in many other cases, the internet is very much capable of answering those questions at least in part - and not rarely in full. However, even if we suppose the chances of success are much more limited, steering people towards at least finding out whether the internet (or other sources) outside of the forums has information will benefit us all, for reasons explained, and make for much more diverse and interesting conversations to boot. In the discussion that follows we can toy with insights based on that information, or fill the gaps with more rare and curious facts that we each dug up during our own respective quests. Questioning things and finding information about those things is such a valuable skill to learn that it seems cruel to withhold that. We should celebrate and foster the quest for knowledge.

But by pointing people to the Internet, they're getting spoon fed information. Why question something if the "answer" is right there in the palm of your hand?

Not only that but the Internet makes it too easy to find information that supports our individual beliefs, limiting the ability to effectively ask questions.

Yes, it can result in more interesting conversations, but even here there are people who use the Internet to find data that only backs their opinion up, and we're all probably guilty to an extent. But if we each only have the opinion we have and aent willing to even accept someone else's as a thought, then conversations become pretty dull, and also potentially blocked.

9 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

But by pointing people to the Internet, they're getting spoon fed information. Why question something if the "answer" is right there in the palm of your hand?

That is the exact same argument I made against spoon feeding people information on the forums, just reversed in a somewhat clumsy manner :D Handing people information without them putting any effort into it themselves is the literal definition of spoon feeding. There is no way that can be turned around. Meanwhile, having them go out and discover things that are freely available in various ways can not reasonably be called spoon feeding. A varied supply of sources are absolutely essential for a valuable debate. Information coming from one place quickly causes inertia. There is a plethora of sources to be found, each with a different angle and value, on-line and off-line. People going out, finding out and then discussing all those things in full colour is neither limiting nor feeding. In fact, it is the exact same opposite.

That is where I respectfully point yet once more to my previous post made, of which none of the points have been rebutted nor discredited, to avoid repeating myself once more. Since you indicate that you feel spoon feeding is not desirable in the least, it seems the conclusion is that we are in agreement that having people go out and discover for themselves is beneficial to all of us. We will grow the community into something more and make the forums more than the sum of its parts.

Let us make this community great together! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.