SAME AS JEB?!!?

Parv Kerman

1 minute ago, Moarmau5 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the only BadS kerbals are Jeb and Val (I could be mistaken though). And if you're concerning looks, I don't know how one can tell them apart :D.

There is a small chance (10% according to the wiki) of generating a BasS kerbal randomly.

22 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

There is a small chance (10% according to the wiki) of generating a BasS kerbal randomly.

I think there are (or were, in past versions), a couple of other "Easter egg" type kerbals with the BadS flag - basically a handful of hard-coded guys you'd get randomly as your game goes on with stats and names honoring a few real-life astronauts. I don't know it they're still in the game, however.

For what it's worth, I just opened my current Career persistence file and searched for "BadS." In addition to Jeb and Val, I found several others with the flag set as True: Aldlan, Lubald, Stauna, and Danlian (Yes, I have a lot of kerbals in my game right now!)

33 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

My white suited Giselle Kerman (science career) is one of these 10%. I checked by reading the savegame file.

Edited by lodger

Is there an ingame way to test this?  Back before 1.0, I would test my kerbals (and promote them to level 1) for the BadsS flag by launching them into orbit on a pile of hammers using explosive staging.  I figured if they could handle explosive staging, they could handle anything.

Devs, bring back explosive staging!  There have few things more kerbal in the entire game.

4 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Is there an ingame way to test this?  Back before 1.0, I would test my kerbals (and promote them to level 1) for the BadsS flag by launching them into orbit on a pile of hammers using explosive staging.  I figured if they could handle explosive staging, they could handle anything.

Devs, bring back explosive staging!  There have few things more kerbal in the entire game.

Test it how? I'm not sure the BadS flag actually does anything but control facial expressions during nutty explosions. The best way to know is just open your persistence file in a text editor and do a search for "BadS" and see if it's set as TRUE for any of your kerbals.

13 hours ago, parv kerman said:

have you ever found a kerbal who is same as jeb?!

I found one named as GENEHAT KERMAN...?!

I think he just refers to the "Courage" and "Stupidity" traits. I don't think that he knows that Genehat actually has the BadS flag.

I got a bit curious since I've noted to at least one of my white-suits appeared to meet even the most hilarious manoeuvres with a big goofy smile.

So I checked the file of my current save (science mode).

And actually 6 out of 34 had 'BadS = True' (including Val & Jeb), so 4 out of 30 random recruits.

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

I got a bit curious since I've noted to at least one of my white-suits appeared to meet even the most hilarious manoeuvres with a big goofy smile.

And by "hilarious", I suppose you mean "so funny you will die laughing"? :D

On 5/2/2016 at 8:11 AM, LameLefty said:

I think there are (or were, in past versions), a couple of other "Easter egg" type kerbals with the BadS flag - basically a handful of hard-coded guys you'd get randomly as your game goes on with stats and names honoring a few real-life astronauts. I don't know it they're still in the game, however.

For what it's worth, I just opened my current Career persistence file and searched for "BadS." In addition to Jeb and Val, I found several others with the flag set as True: Aldlan, Lubald, Stauna, and Danlian (Yes, I have a lot of kerbals in my game right now!)

phhhh. I have to get 500 kerbals for a challenge I'm doing. Every day is a bunch of rescue contracts. I think I'm around 60 now

1 minute ago, Jhawk1099 said:

phhhh. I have to get 500 kerbals for a challenge I'm doing. Every day is a bunch of rescue contracts. I think I'm around 60 now

In my Career save, hiring another Kerbal is now well over half a million funds each, and it goes up with each new hire. I've had plenty more in early sandbox games, especially back in the 0.19 - .23 timeframe when I basically considered them expendable crash-fodder.

Just now, LameLefty said:

In my Career save, hiring another Kerbal is now well over half a million funds each, and it goes up with each new hire. I've had plenty more in early sandbox games, especially back in the 0.19 - .23 timeframe when I basically considered them expendable crash-fodder.

I accept your challenge sir. I am going to get very used to orbital rendevous. 

2 minutes ago, Jhawk1099 said:

I accept your challenge sir. I am going to get very used to orbital rendevous. 

There was no challenge offered. I merely pointed out that in Career, a massive standing army of kerbals comes with a cost, so my crew of several dozen represent a significant investment in both time, funds and opportunity cost (*).

(*) Simplified, this is the concept that having invested that cash in those crew, I'm giving up on using that money for other purposes, like launching more probes to other biomes, expanding an existing station or base without a contract to do so, etc.

18 hours ago, LameLefty said:

There was no challenge offered. I merely pointed out that in Career, a massive standing army of kerbals comes with a cost, so my crew of several dozen represent a significant investment in both time, funds and opportunity cost (*).

(*) Simplified, this is the concept that having invested that cash in those crew, I'm giving up on using that money for other purposes, like launching more probes to other biomes, expanding an existing station or base without a contract to do so, etc.

Of course you didn't, but people grab every oppertunity to challenge themselves. Especially here on the KSP forums.

On topic: It was my understanding that rescued kerbals didn't cost a thing exept the cost of the rescue-mission. Is this changed nowadays?

2 hours ago, T-Bouw said:

On topic: It was my understanding that rescued kerbals didn't cost a thing exept the cost of the rescue-mission. Is this changed nowadays?

It costs the cost of the rescue mission. Which may be very costly. It may be more or less costly than the cost of hiring a new Kerbal the traditional way.

One, two, three, four, five…<_<… >_>Cost.

Edited by pincushionman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.