1.1.2 Drag increased by almost 20%?

From a programming perspective, what this bug means is that the code that reads the physics.cfg file is broken. When the game creates a new file, it loads all the default values into memory at the same time as it builds the file. But if the file exists, it tries to read it in -- and fails to set some of the values that the default init routine sets correctly.

@Thrimm, I have found a workaround.

Delete the contents of the Physics.cfg and save it, then make it read only.

With no values and KSP being unable to write to the file it will use the internal defaults, so body lift will work.

I see Sal removed that possible workaround... because I tested it... and I have never seen the kraken/squid get so hungry... :P
I can guess the possible cause for this... Devs changed the Physics.cfg file... but forgot to change the hardcoded values... and the resulting conflicts are triggering this problems...

Edited by luizopiloto

4 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

I see Sal removed that possible workaround... because I tested it... and I have never seen the kraken/squid get so hungry... :P
I can guess the possible cause for this... Devs changed the Physics.cfg file... but forgot to change the hardcoded values... and the resulting conflicts are triggering this problems...

It worked for me however, just had to set the joints to unbreakable - everything explodes if you don't, because of incorrect values of jointBreak parameters.

16 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

I see Sal removed that possible workaround...

No, my post is gone, it's not even visible to me as an admin, figure that one out  voted best answer! woohoo! :P

For me I can work around the issue by deleting the contents of the Physics.cfg file, then setting to read only, this forces KSP to use the built-in values every time.

The values written to the Physics.cfg are the exactly the same as the internal values because that's where they come from, so "Devs changed the Physics.cfg file... but forgot to change the hardcoded values..." is a nonsense, sorry.

I tried just commenting out the parts on body lift but it wasn't enough, I'll have to try deleting those lines completely while leaving the rest of the file intact.

@sal_vager I marked your post as the best answer and now it's the first one displayed on the first page, so I guess it's not gone. I've tried deleting the entirety of the physics.cfg file except two jointBreakForce values, but the body lift is broken in that case too.

For me the workaround so far is as I mentioned, to do as you suggested (delete the content of physics.cfg and set to read only) and then check unbreakable joints in the debug menu. This way I can enjoy the body lift without losing wings and other important parts of the plane :).

Edited by Thrimm

6 hours ago, sal_vager said:

No, my post is gone, it's not even visible to me as an admin, figure that one out :P

For me I can work around the issue by deleting the contents of the Physics.cfg file, then setting to read only, this forces KSP to use the built-in values every time.

The values written to the Physics.cfg are the exactly the same as the internal values because that's where they come from, so "Devs changed the Physics.cfg file... but forgot to change the hardcoded values..." is a nonsense, sorry.

I tried just commenting out the parts on body lift but it wasn't enough, I'll have to try deleting those lines completely while leaving the rest of the file intact.

wrong answer... to evade more discussions you was supposed to say: " I talked to the dev team and they are looking into the problem. The team will release a patch as soon as possible..." :P

Edited by luizopiloto

I see, they are different, sorry about that, but it still doesn't work.

The bug doesn't appear to be the file, it appears to be KSP failing to load the file correctly, but there are no related errors in my logs.

45 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

wrong answer... to evade more discussions you was supposed to say: " I talked to the dev team and they are looking into the problem. The team will release a patch as soon as possible..." :P

Unfortunately, he couldn't say that because the dev team are on a break (well, he could have lied, I suppose, but that probably wouldn't have been such a good move)... :wink:

1 hour ago, luizopiloto said:

so... if the internal values are the same of the original Physics.cfg file... why the values from the file Steam downloads when I do a file check are different? and why the created file have joints set to old versions value? >____<" :P

Yeah also how about you don't pull stuff like this.

I have found a workaround that does not require the debug menu and has working body lift.

1. Ensure you have the physics file with jointBreakForceFactor=30 and jointBreakTorqueFactor=50 that probably has no body lift in game

2. Download the module manager and install it, then run KSP.

3. Quit KSP and remove the contents of the physics.cfg file and set it to 'read only' (as suggested by @sal_vager).

4. Restart KSP and hopefully enjoy body lift and no exploding vessels. Worked for me!

I'll let you guys figure out why this works, but so far it's stable for multiple launches of the game. Thanks for your help!

59 minutes ago, Thrimm said:

I'll let you guys figure out why this works,

Well, it sounds feasible.  Module manager keeps a cached version of the Physics.cfg file with any mod patches applied. Step 2 probably results in this cached version being a complete working version and MM probably doesn't update it because it doesn't detect any changes to the stock file because you set it to read only.  So, every time you start KSP it creates bad default settings and then MM overwrites the newly created default settings with the correct cached version...

I've located the bug. If you aren't opposed to add-ons, I've added the fix to my StockBugFixes.

With the stock bug fixes, you can continue using Physics.cfg normally (no need to lock it read-only or delete anything). The particular bug fix module is called "BodyLiftFix" and is actually purely standalone (StockPlus not required). If you want, you can delete everything else in the download (which is contrary to the install readme, but still possible for this particular module...not so for the other modules).

The only "pure stock" way to avoid this is to do the read-only tricks outlined above, or delete physics.cfg every time you start the game.

Cheers,
~Claw

8 hours ago, Claw said:

I've located the bug. If you aren't opposed to add-ons, I've added the fix to my StockBugFixes.

With the stock bug fixes, you can continue using Physics.cfg normally (no need to lock it read-only or delete anything). The particular bug fix module is called "BodyLiftFix" and is actually purely standalone (StockPlus not required). If you want, you can delete everything else in the download (which is contrary to the install readme, but still possible for this particular module...not so for the other modules).

The only "pure stock" way to avoid this is to do the read-only tricks outlined above, or delete physics.cfg every time you start the game.

Cheers,
~Claw

Thank you very much!

• 1 month later...
On 2 de maio de 2016 at 5:11 PM, llanthas said:

I've noticed the exact opposite effect, both with and without FAR installed...   My little Wheesley plane just never slows down on its own anymore..

don't install FAR with CKAN. Everytime I do it, everything is either dragless of the center of lift os offset forwards. If I install normally things work fine

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.