Delta/V Map/graphic?

sojourner

Hey, back in the early days of KSP there was a graphic going around that portrayed the d/v required for all of the planets and moons in the game. I was wondering if anyone had an up to date version of that? It showed everything in a "tree" arrangement and you just followed the branches of the tree and added up the d/v listed as you went along to get the total d/v for your destination.

Edited by sojourner

7 hours ago, KingMonkeyNuts said:

No worries:sealed:. I think its funny how many KSP budget maps there are relative to maps of our own solar system. I'm afraid someone, someday, is going to accidentally use a KSP map to plan an actual mission from earth...

And they thought losing a multi-billion dollar mission due to confusing metric and imperial units was embarrassing...

"What happened?

"Uh sorry boss....I kinda accidentally used the delta v map for Duna instead..."

11 hours ago, KingMonkeyNuts said:

Try this link (https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3c98ur/updated_deltav_map_for_104_from_user_kowgan_on/). If you google 'delta v budget map' you should see many examples.

8jGWLCg.png

I laughed at how according to that Delta-V map you can use aerobraking to reach Low Kerbol Orbit, as if though going through it's atmosphere isn't completely insane. :D

That map is actually out of date, as I found out yesterday (not by much, but the Kerbin launch Delta-v is a bit low. An updated one is here:

As a shameless plug, I've actually just released a little application that already has all the figures from the map plugged into it, check my sig.

2 hours ago, DolphinDude3 said:

I laughed at how according to that Delta-V map you can use aerobraking to reach Low Kerbol Orbit, as if though going through it's atmosphere isn't completely insane. :D

With the new heat/thermal changes in the last several updates, I seriously doubt aerobraking into the sun is gonna work very well these days ... :)

26 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

That map is actually out of date, as I found out yesterday (not by much, but the Kerbin launch Delta-v is a bit low. An updated one is here:

As a shameless plug, I've actually just released a little application that already has all the figures from the map plugged into it, check my sig.

I'd like this idea more if it was platform-agnostic or a web app.

I was actually just going to search for this. I just started playing again last week after at least a year off. Last version I remember playing was .22. I was building rockets with ~4,500 dV just to get off Kerbin and was amazed at all the fuel I had left over.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

This 1000%. If KSPedia didn't require Unity Programming (what's wrong with html and css anyway?) I'd have already done it.

Seriously?

Isn't that just a step short of programming the webserver using a combination of redstone and floodgates?

On May 2, 2016 at 6:29 PM, KingMonkeyNuts said:

Try this link (https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3c98ur/updated_deltav_map_for_104_from_user_kowgan_on/). If you google 'delta v budget map' you should see many examples.

8jGWLCg.png

Okay, just as an FYI, this map appears low to me or rather, very highly idealized. Yesterday I launched a lander to a 60km Duna orbit from a landing site at exactly 600 meters above mean sea level. The lander had ~1405 m/s worth of dV at liftoff and need up about 85 m/s short of the circularization burn. I had 1.7 T/W ratio at liftoff so excessive gravity losses wasn't an issue. It's also possible my ascent trajectory wasn't optimized for Duna (I used the latest dev version of MechJeb to fly it). But yeah, I'd pad these numbers quite a bit. I saw another such "subway map" like this that shows needing 1450 m/s for the ascent to 60km circular from Duna, which is within 35 m/s or so of my experience, and well within the range of error flying an ascent.

34 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Okay, just as an FYI, this map appears low to me or rather, very highly idealized. Yesterday I launched a lander to a 60km Duna orbit from a landing site at exactly 600 meters above mean sea level. The lander had ~1405 m/s worth of dV at liftoff and need up about 85 m/s short of the circularization burn. I had 1.7 T/W ratio at liftoff so excessive gravity losses wasn't an issue. It's also possible my ascent trajectory wasn't optimized for Duna (I used the latest dev version of MechJeb to fly it). But yeah, I'd pad these numbers quite a bit. I saw another such "subway map" like this that shows needing 1450 m/s for the ascent to 60km circular from Duna, which is within 35 m/s or so of my experience, and well within the range of error flying an ascent.

You appear to be right. Here's a more current map from another forum thread:

and this should be an updated map: 

iXtul2v.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.