KSC changes and improvements

Runaway changes:

• T1 asphalted and smooth but short and narrow
  • T2 longer and wider than T1
  • T3 long, wide with nice lights and stuff
  • T4 adds north to south runaway for easier polar orbits

Test track for rovers. Pretty much self-explanatory. Maybe not really needed but nice thing to have.

Docks and Dry docks. Not much fun to bring every ship, submarine or seaplane from runaway to shore.

New building tiers can be similar to others. For ease to use and not to jump between VAB, SPH or Docks can be added new function for Launch button. For example: In SPH build ship and when pressing Launch it give selection menu between places

• Launchpad
  • Runaway
  • Runaway (North to South)
  • Docks
  • Test Track

For carer compability it grey out launch options witch are not upgraded to meet vehicle size. 

Planetarium: Building that can be visited only by Kerbal. It contains miniature solar system which adds planets, moons as you explore them. Beginning only with Kerbol and Kerbin

Edited by marcello639
mistake

Here are some changes I'd personally like to see:

- Longer distance between the VAB and the launchpad, at least 150~200%

- A (four to six-lane) road leading away from the KSC to an underground tunnel going into the hills near KSC

- A museum building (including planetarium) to showcase achievements and collected EVA samples from various planets; similar to@marcello639's original suggestion, the museum/visitor center should only be visitable by a Kerbal tourist in third-person view.

- Contracts be moved to the Administrative Building, and Mission Control be repurposed for something more suitable

On 5/3/2016 at 9:35 AM, marcello639 said:

Docks and Dry docks. Not much fun to bring every ship, submarine or seaplane from runaway to shore.

That would mean the KSC be moved very close to the shore. Or have an extension into the waters...

As for what I'd personally like to see, maybe a Kerbal HeadQuarters where the relationship between companies that provide parts and gives you some bonus for successfully testing out their parts. Say if you finish the hammer testing contract, the company gives you a discount for all parts available for a certain amount of time and if you don't do the task on time or reject it, then the price will be upped a little or the parts are removed from the catalog.

For @sumghai's idea, maybe refit the mission control for launch times or maybe time till manoeuvre node and will give the player a 10, 5 & 2min warning if you aren't at the ship with the node so you can go to it if you can.  

Edited by Scientia1423
I'm bad at grammar.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, sumghai said:

Contracts be moved to the Administrative Building, and Mission Control be repurposed for something more suitable

Please. Mission Control feels so wrong for contacts. That's one of the reasons I don't play Career anymore.

19 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Please. Mission Control feels so wrong for contacts. That's one of the reasons I don't play Career anymore.

I always thought it was a play on words... Mission Control as in it's where you control which missions you take...

But what I want to see is a real RND lot, wher you can run simulations. Want to test a Mun landing? Sure! It uses a crane to make it feel like Mun gravity! Want to test a new pane? Throw it in a wind tunnel!

2 hours ago, Andem said:

But what I want to see is a real RND lot, wher you can run simulations. Want to test a Mun landing? Sure! It uses a crane to make it feel like Mun gravity! Want to test a new pane? Throw it in a wind tunnel!

Yes! Put this in Sandbox to.

2 hours ago, Andem said:

I always thought it was a play on words... Mission Control as in it's where you control which missions you take.

Ah! That does make sense.

1.) Different terrains for rover testing. Like @Andem said, there would be wires and different colored rocks. It would help a ton, and after all... (1 2 3)

2.) Museum. I would love to see a record of contracts, collected samples, and missions in one place.

3.) North-south runway

4.) Drydocks

5.) If you recover a part, the next time you use one of the same part, it is free (fuel still costs money). 

Edited by Snikersnee

I agree with everything apart from the docks for ships. I mean, do we really need it? I guess the game gives enough freedom to build whatever you want, even the ships. But are they any significant for the career mode? This game should be more space exploration-focused IMO. If there would be ships then only as launch platforms spread across the oceans of Kerbin.

And we already have a planetarium, which is the tracking station, though I agree about some sort of discovery mechanic in the stock game. Maybe not the planets we have now should be discovered, but more distant ones (still in the Kerbol system though). Also while we're at it: observation of extrasolar objects (exoplanets, nebulae, pulsars, black holes galaxies, quasars, etc.)

Also the island base should be available as a plane-only launching point with a ramp by the end.

And as always in these topics: #bringbac9back

On 5/5/2016 at 10:12 PM, Andem said:

I always thought it was a play on words... Mission Control as in it's where you control which missions you take...

Well, except they aren't even called missions, which makes no sense to me.

In my perfect world the Admin Building is the place where you pick programs you want to get involved in (Space Station Research, The Mun Landing Program, Duna Rover Exploration Program +a lot more things like that). Once you picked one or two, or more you go to the Mission Control and pick the missions, which are influenced by the programs you chose.

So if you picked the 'Space Station Research' and 'Duna Exploration' programs you suddenly find a bunch of missions which will prepare you to the ultimate goal of said program, which is the Duna Space Station (you mix them and get different things to do based on what you've picked). You first get to do small things like probing Duna and building a small research station in Kerbin's orbit, then it moves onto the harder ones and once the system decides that you are ready it gives you a mission to build the Duna Space Station! BAM! A sense of progression!

Just curious, has everyone taken the time to drive around the R&D facility? It's an impressively big, detailed model with little trucks everywhere, etc. Only problem is, they don't do anything. I'd love to see it serve a more involved purpose along the lines of the rover and lander test facilities mentioned here.

• 5 weeks later...

I always figured there should be a museum at the Kerbal Space Centre, besides also displaying samples it would also be neat to have the ability to display noteworthy missions recovered or artifacts from that mission, I also agree there should be a planetarium, although it should be part of the tutorial as a sort of introduction to the Kerbol System, the museum also has an auditorium used to introduce newly hired Kerbonauts to members of the press and the general public. It could also be used for PR speeches.

Other building ideas I had include:

Bank: Withdraw and Deposit your hard earned funds, but also you can take out loans, just make sure you can pay it back.

I haven't decided wether this should be in the admin building, but having the concept of Insurance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.