Call Me Crazy, But This is The Mod We NEED!

Probus

Make launches pretty exciting when revert, F5-savegame, cheat menu and exit without save are all turned off.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Time to finally add this Ironman mod?

• Yes! I am Ironman!
    • Absoultely Not. I can't stand the thought of not being able to revert.

Since 1.1 has gotten so much more stable, I want to ask for a CRAZY mod.  It does only two simple things:

1. Disables the alt-f12 menu.

2. Saves the game when alt-f4 is pressed before exiting.

These two things will create a pretty darn good ironman mode.  Make launches pretty exciting when revert, F5-savegame, cheat menu and exit without save are all turned off.

(This mod is for those with little willpower)

23 minutes ago, Probus said:

2. Saves the game when alt-f4 is pressed before exiting.

I am dubious that the game process event long enough after an ALT F4 for this to work.

I was wrong. I found the solution after a simple search. You can even prevent ALT F4

void OnApplicationQuit() {

Application.CancelQuit(); // prevent the game from closing it seems

// Could not do that but simply call OnSave

}

Edit : http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Application.CancelQuit.html

Edited by sarbian

While this sounds good - in theory - I am still encountering too many wheel-related bugs, crashes and random "WTF just exploded" glitches in 1.1 to play without quicksave/load.
I would like to play iron-man mode, but there is still far too much kraken bait in this game IME. I do impose my own limits on save-scumming, but I will not lose kerbals to bugs.

Catching Alt-F4 won't stop me just kiling the process if i wanted to anyway.
OTOH, if you can get the game to save before it crashes, that would be excellent.

16 minutes ago, sarbian said:

You can even prevent ALT F4

Considering that the game can still at times decide to 'hang' in the space center buildings with the 'Exit' button not working and no escape menu coming up, probably not the best of ideas.

As for the OP question: I don't get the point of this ironman thing. Those who want to enact such a thing on themselves, can already do so by simply not using save, revert, etc. That would be the true proof of the iron, actually having the option and no one watching, slapping your hand, or stopping you, but not using it anyway, because you chose to.

Those who feel they would be tempted to use one of those options at any point are the wrong target for such a mod anyway, and/or can and will find 1001 ways around it, depending on how desperately they want to.

One either 'is ironman', and the mod is completely redundant, or one isn't, in which case no amount of mod enforcing is going to make it so.

12 minutes ago, steve_v said:

OTOH, if you can get the game to save before it crashes, that would be excellent.

I doubt we can save much when the game is out of memory or half crashed.

36 minutes ago, sarbian said:

I doubt we can save much when the game is out of memory or half crashed.

I wasn't being particularly serious with this one, very much tongue-in-cheek. :P
I don't expect much can be saved when it crashes with "Error in `./KSP.x86_64': double free or corruption (out)" and a native stack-trace either... But hey, mods fix everything else, right? :wink:

Edited by steve_v

1 minute ago, Probus said:

If you had a system like @linuxgurugamer's KRASH mod:

then this Ironman mod would be much more feasible.  Is there anyway to add this to KRASH @linuxgurugamer?  Would you even want too?

No, this has nothing to do with KRASH.

Maybe a simple mod to disable those two characters, but I don't have time for that

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.