ksp + NoMansSky

what if, and this is big picture excrements right? but what if, down the line, we had random biome generation on planets, random anomalies, maybe random alien life. you'd genuinely want to explore because each save is different. each space program is unique and each jeb gets to encounter different types of creatures and thread the needle on new geological formations. i feel replayability is limited with KSP unless you have new ideas for crafts, but even then, career is sort of pointless after you've done a realistic play thru 10 million times. 

so yeah, what if we added the random seed generation technology and gave some sense of exploration to going to duna or laythe, rather than just repurposing a lunar lander and running all the same experiments.

It's been suggested and shot down.  The static biomes are deliberate.  There was a quote, I don't have it, from the developers stating they wanted the community to be able to share their experiences.  You can't do that if everyone's experiences are different.

As far as replayability.. well, I've got at least 1500 hours in this game, 999 of which are currently documented by Steam, the rest is an estimate.

Edited by Alshain

10 million times? Not in my life time, but KSP is so great i wish i could:D
Like @Alshain said, this has been suggested many a times before(it might even be on the "do not suggest" list:sealed:)

What the planets need right now, is the "Procedural Mun craters" thingy(I am guessing that is why Mun looks so much more detailed than Ike?) I am no geoligist, but shouldn't Eve have riviers? What about massive mountain/volcano "craters" on Tylo because of all the tidal disturbunces and asteroids hitting it(the ones on a close fly-by of Jool)?

I'd definitely like a sequel to this game, but not a space focused one. Instead we could have Kerbal Aircraft Program (originally suggested by @Alshain?).

Earth sized Kerbin, the same vessel editor (+pWings), no rocket engines and a lot of jet and piston engines instead, realistic atmosphere and combat missions of different historical eras + multiplayer, of course.

Make this happen @SQUAD, and you'll have another $15 in early alpha from me.

11 hours ago, Veeltch said:

I'd definitely like a sequel to this game, but not a space focused one. Instead we could have Kerbal Aircraft Program (originally suggested by @Alshain?).

Earth sized Kerbin, the same vessel editor (+pWings), no rocket engines and a lot of jet and piston engines instead, realistic atmosphere and combat missions of different historical eras + multiplayer, of course.

Make this happen @SQUAD, and you'll have another $15 in early alpha from me.

Not quite as detailed and complex as KSP, but there's Simple Planes. http://www.simpleplanes.com/

I like the idea of random wildlife to discover, that would be suited to their biome. Add "animal scatter" to the "terrain scatter" feature, lol. If you got within range of one of them, you'd be able to pull some science (career mode) - give a reason for rovers :)     (And a new reason to complain about FPS drops.)

http://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-dev-on-random-solar-systems-the-joy-of-failure-and-the-cult-of-steam/

PC Gamer - December 23, 2013

Do you have plans to add more solar systems, or even randomly generated solar systems?

Falange: That's something we get a lot, and it's actually something that I'm not very particularly [interested] about implementing. It's not that can't—we could, theoretically. But I think that KSP being a game where you can build your own spacecraft, play the game in your own way, and have essentially a completely different experience from everyone else… the only thing tying these experiences together is that the universe is the same. So if we were to add procedurally generated planets outside the current solar system, you would end up with places and destinations that don't exist for anyone else. And then it would fail in terms of you being able to relate to someone else's experience. You wouldn't be able to say, “Hey guys, I landed on Duna, this was really cool!” And everyone knows what Duna is and what it stands for. Instead, you'd get, “Hey guys, I found this planet, it looks kinda like this.” And people would be like, “Oh... I've got completely different planets on mine.”

Holtzman: The game is science fiction, but one of the things that Felipe has really driven is that he wants the science to come first and the fiction to come second. So when you start talking about multiple solar systems, you get further into the realm of fiction.

Falange: Right, because you're talking about interstellar distances, which means time-warp isn't enough anymore, no matter how fast you're going. Now you need some sort of warp drive, and that falls into the realm of sci-fi. And that then requires us to break the laws of physics, which would in fact make everything much trickier.

Edited by basic.syntax

Without changing Duna being Duna, I think there should be randomization with limits. ( different amounts of polar ice, some times you get rocks, other times little tree things, maybe  a little O2, esp if you have the little trees) Think of all the  speculation we had about Mars before we got there. those should all be possibilities.

more important I think: there should be "a reveal" to the solar system:

You shouldn't get to see the other planets UNTIL YOU VISIT THEM. They should be blank globes in Map View.  Even the far side of the Mun should be blank until you orbit it.

I'm from the 20th Cent, I remember when we didn't know what the planets looked like. We were surprised by the ring around Jupiter, and the Sheppard moons in Saturn's Rings. That should be part of the game. Think of the excitement for a Noob, when he finally gets a probe to Jool, and sees Laythe for the first time!

At the start of the game, Duna's surface should be represented by a pencil sketch of canals.

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

Personally, when talking about super long KSP goals, I'd like to see an increase in scope, from Kerbal Space Program, to Kerbal Everything program.  With a focus on space, of course.  Adding moving parts, etc. and letting the people who have always stretched the limits of KSP go wild.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.