[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

Update! Kerbal Reusability Expansion 1.0

Had to re-upload the mod to SpaceDock to change the name. The new mod should be on CKAN soon.
(SpaceX Landing Legs will not be updated any more)

Let me know if something doesn't work the way it should.

EDIT: The CKAN reference should get changed automatically so that it's possible to update seamlessly.

Edited by svendii

@svendii - This is totally my new favorite mod, well done!  Love it!  Any chance that there could either be a service module the same thickness as the fuel tank?  Or possibly modifying the fuel tank model so it could also fit a couple of small items, like a USI-LS Supplies pack or a small battery?  Also, any chance there might be some conformal RCS component in the future, or perhaps incorporated into the Draco thrusters?

10 hours ago, panarchist said:

@svendii - This is totally my new favorite mod, well done!  Love it!  Any chance that there could either be a service module the same thickness as the fuel tank?  Or possibly modifying the fuel tank model so it could also fit a couple of small items, like a USI-LS Supplies pack or a small battery?  Also, any chance there might be some conformal RCS component in the future, or perhaps incorporated into the Draco thrusters?

I thought about adding a service bay to the fuel tank but somehow colliders now have to be convex, meaning they can't be hollow which makes it more tricky to do. Not impossible though, will try it eventually. Currently you can do it like that:

1rxtE9G.png

Having Dracos with integrated RCS is a really good idea :D I'll probably add that in the next update. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by svendii

I love this mod already, But i feel like i like the Aerodynamic Nose Cone on the capsule like the Poster image, But i want it to dock like the real Dragon. And i have to use the not as good looking Sheildied docking port.

I wish this mod had a deployable nosecone or something a bit like the KSO nose Radome thing.

And i also like the Hollow idea, Then i no longer have to Clip Batterys and Monoprop Into the Fuel Tank :P

9 hours ago, svendii said:

I thought about adding a service bay to the fuel tank but somehow colliders now have to be convex, meaning they can't be hollow which makes it more tricky to do. Not impossible though, will try it eventually. Currently you can do it like that:

Greeting from over on Reddit! :P Grats on getting featured in one of @Kottabos' videos.

For having hollow colliders, what you have to do is have a slice of the ring you need to make a collider for. In this example, I have a 24 sided ring. The collider is two segments of a 16 sided ring, with the two in the inside merged to make it flat instead of concave.The collider is moved up to try and make it a bit easier to see. Repeat that 8 times, and you have an 8 sided interior collider and a 16 sided exterior collider. 16 sides is usually what I use.

SJiAKoC.png

9 hours ago, svendii said:

1rxtE9G.png

Having Dracos with integrated RCS is a really good idea :D I'll probably add that in the next update. Thanks for the suggestions!

That's exactly what I was trying to do, and failing.  :-)  I'll give that another shot.  Thanks!  Re: RCS, I've always thought it's a shame to have 30 units of monopropellant and having to put the RCS blocks on to use it.  The Dracos seem like a natural place to have something like that, and I love that this mod has everything somewhat streamlined.  It really makes the stock pod into a perfect CRV for space stations.

Edited by panarchist

So much going on - I like it.

4 hours ago, Kottabos said:

Realeased a video spotlight of this mod earlier, I really enjoyed this mod.  Keep up the great work

That was unexpected :D I just discovered you last week and silently hoped that you would one day stumble across this mod. Wasn't disappointed at all.
Didn't know about the grid fin bug, they are normally not deployed before launch so that problem has never come up before. @DerpyFirework it's probably for the same reason they stop working after reloading (if that helps and you haven't yet given up on it :wink:).

@Stone Blue @CobaltWolf I'll try that. Wasn't sure if having that many colliders would be an issue but it looks like it does indeed work, thanks!
@panarchist I do it by first attaching the batteries to the pod and then attaching the fuel tank. If the colliders work then it will be possible to attach it to the inside of the tank.

@trooperMNG Glad you like it. I'd like to keep it focused on reusability so a full Falcon rocket most likely won't happen. It's supposed to be an extension to the stock game to add that reusability and not a complete SpaceX mod.

11 hours ago, svendii said:

Didn't know about the grid fin bug, they are normally not deployed before launch so that problem has never come up before. @DerpyFirework it's probably for the same reason they stop working after reloading (if that helps and you haven't yet given up on it :wink:).

It is indeed the same bug as the reloading one. I believe the issue is an interaction between ModuleControlSurface and ModuleAnimateGeneric, as I've been able to reproduce it without any plugins and only those 2 modules. I'll see if I can find anything else that might help in fixing it.

You might have noticed that the mod isn't up to date on CKAN yet. Apparently it's because of the version change from 1.4 to 1.0. So that means that a version 1.5 needs to be out soon which gave me a reason to quickly make some changes:

g7PVvSf.png

• Changed the number of small tanks to fill out the empty space in the fuel tank
  • Made it hollow so that a bunch of small parts can be placed inside (not on the inner surface though, don't know why)
  • SuperDraco with integrated RCS thrusters for docking. (Should it replace the normal one or should it be a heavier and more expensive variant of the normal SuperDraco? not sure yet..)

Update 1.5

• Version change to 1.5 because CKAN (it's finally listed now)
  • Added SuperDraco variant with RCS thrusters
  • Improved Fuel Tank mesh and made collider hollow
  • Heat shield now acts as decoupler (lower node)
  • Fixed black edges on Grid Fins texture
  • Slight change to Landing Leg texture

On July 14, 2016 at 3:11 AM, svendii said:

EDIT: The CKAN reference should get changed automatically so that it's possible to update seamlessly.

The CLI lists the mod as 'SpaceXLegs' so finding your mod is a bit of a challenge there. Might want to have a little note telling people to look for that if they use CKAN CLI. CLI is always a bit of a haystack so it's not horrible, but usually you can start with the right letter of the alphabet and S is quite far from K. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:07 PM, trooperMNG said:

Awesome work @svendii! Do you plan to do specific tanks, engines and capsules? I would definetely like a stockalike Dragon Cargo/v2 and a nice Falcon 9! Tundra Exploration is too little detailed

FWIW, Tygoo7 (someone pls tag him if this convo goes anywhere, I'm on mobile) is redoing all his parts. I spoke to him on stream and he enjoyed this mod, and was considering skipping parts like the grid fins and landing legs and telling people to download this mod, since it would save him work.

59 minutes ago, StevieC said:

Small suggestion for the fuel-tank. Add some KIS storage-space to it?

Probably not to the fuel tank. I might do a trunk soon so that containers can be placed there.

35 minutes ago, johnsonwax said:

The CLI lists the mod as 'SpaceXLegs' so finding your mod is a bit of a challenge there. Might want to have a little note telling people to look for that if they use CKAN CLI. CLI is always a bit of a haystack so it's not horrible, but usually you can start with the right letter of the alphabet and S is quite far from K. 

Thanks for pointing that out, it's now mentioned in OP.

26 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

FWIW, Tygoo7 (someone pls tag him if this convo goes anywhere, I'm on mobile) is redoing all his parts. I spoke to him on stream and he enjoyed this mod, and was considering skipping parts like the grid fins and landing legs and telling people to download this mod, since it would save him work.

@tygoo7 and I will make sure the parts work nicely together. Looking forward to the revamped parts.

2 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

Dose this work with 1.1.3? I know its not versioned but some older mods still do...

The latest version was released 7 hours ago, so yes its good to go. The changelog tab on the Spacedock page has version compatibility for each release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.