[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

I have been using this mod for quite a while and I thought that I might try to write RO configs for the landing legs to rescale them and add realistic masses. From what I can find online data about the SpaceX legs is easy to come by - I am assuming that the medium legs are supposed to correspond to the real life booster (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I will be hoping to scale all of them accordingly.

However, for the New Glenn and New Shepard legs, data is a little harder to come by so I will have to try and scale them by eye based on images of the two boosters. If anyone knows where to find any specific dimensions or masses please let me know!

• 1 month later...

What's the file/folder part name for the black legs requiring Firespitter?  So I can delete them from my install.

Firespitter is a dirty, dirty, inefficient and bug-ridden plugin that I will NOT have on my system again, after how much grief it's caused me in the past...

1 hour ago, Northstar1989 said:

What's the file/folder part name for the black legs requiring Firespitter?  So I can delete them from my install.

Firespitter is a dirty, dirty, inefficient and bug-ridden plugin that I will NOT have on my system again, after how much grief it's caused me in the past...

The legs haven't required Firespitter since 1.4, when the stock variant switcher was introduced. No need to delete them from your install.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:31 AM, Northstar1989 said:

Out of curiosity, what problems has FireSpitter caused?

Haven't really used my KSP forums acc for a while, but I really want to thank OP for making this amazing mod. Falcon-like legs should be part of the base game, and the extra stuff your mod adds (while being vanilla-friendly) is just great. I've been using it since it came out, and I don't even play without it.

16 hours ago, EvilotionCR2 said:

Haven't really used my KSP forums acc for a while, but I really want to thank OP for making this amazing mod. Falcon-like legs should be part of the base game, and the extra stuff your mod adds (while being vanilla-friendly) is just great. I've been using it since it came out, and I don't even play without it.

Given the BS that's been going on with Take2 and KSP2 lately, I wouldn't count on much content being added to the Stock game anytime soon- but you're right, better landimg-legs like these are a NECESSITY that should have been added to KSP years ago...

FWIW, there aren't enough super-flat landing engines in the game, either (closest thing is a cluster of Terriers) so we can bring the Center of Mass closer to the ground.  We need proper landing-engines AND better landing legs for landers that don't tip over so readily...

Edited by Northstar1989

Any chance someone can explain the logic behind the New Glenn legs parts to me?

The legs don't seem to want to attach to any part besides the specialized base, and the specialized base, despite being cylindrical, REFUSES to attach in stack mode- only attaching in surface attach mode (and quite poorly at that: often half clipped into the base of the rocket, which can create Kraken problems as well as being very draggy in FAR...)

On 6/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, Northstar1989 said:

Any chance someone can explain the logic behind the New Glenn legs parts to me?

Just attach the base to the side and it will be ok. Personally I like the fact that you can easily move it up and down. Not using FAR tho :/

Edited by Jovan

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 7:13 AM, EmbersArc said:

Bta7VU6.png

I've been experimenting with a reusable fairing that essentially works like a cargo bay. Not sure how reentry is going to work with this thing though. The problem is that it moves the center of drag to the front so that the second stage has to reenter engine first.

The model for the trunk is finished and I'm now trying to give it a stockalike texture.

where can I find this fairing or some fairing like that?

Mod update and new maintainer

Hi everyone.

It's been almost exactly two years since the last update to KRE. Much has happened since and I've always thought that at one point I'd get back into KSP modding. But I recently had to recognize that this most likely won't happen. Luckily, our good friend @damonvv has come forward with the offer to continue development on KRE. I'm confident that the mod will be in good hands. An update that fixes the leg suspension has already been uploaded.

Collectively, KRE has been downloaded over 400'000 times, which blows my mind. Thanks to everybody for the good times and the support.

Here's the new forum post:

Kerbal Reusablity Expansion 1.10

If you want to see what nonsense I'm up to now, feel free to follow me on Twitter @EmbersArc

We all thank you for bringing this wonderful mod to life! It has taught us many ways to reuse rockets in crazy ways and I am incredibly thankful for all the memories I have with KRE. May many more come! I wish you good luck in your voyage and may we see you again with a new mod that will blow us away! :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.