[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

Fantastic mod! I have been using it to greatly enhance the reusability of my craft. I will post pictures when I get home.  A suggestion though, would it be possible to add suspension to the landing gear? They perform like static posts and make for hard landings. Other than that, this mod is indispensable!

3 hours ago, RamirezCorp said:

Is this mod compatible with TweakScale? If not, can it happen?

EVERY part in the game is compatible with tweakscale, all you need to do is write a tiny simple .cfg file and put it in the patches folder inside tweakscale.

For example, here is one I made for the retractable engine made by BahamutoD (Type can be free, stack, free_square or stack_square):

@PART[bahaSRadialEngine]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = free
    }
}

Edited by TheKurgan

51 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

EVERY part in the game is compatible with tweakscale, all you need to do is write a tiny simple .cfg file and put it in the patches folder inside tweakscale.

For example, here is one I made for the retractable engine made by BahamutoD (Type can be free, stack, free_square or stack_square):

@PART[bahaSRadialEngine]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = free
    }
}

Im sorry to ask for this but can you make the .cfg file for the Aerolegs, I would very much appreciate that

On 24.11.2016 at 0:28 AM, RamirezCorp said:

Is this mod compatible with TweakScale? If not, can it happen?

On 23.11.2016 at 7:22 PM, SkyHook said:

Fantastic mod! I have been using it to greatly enhance the reusability of my craft. I will post pictures when I get home.  A suggestion though, would it be possible to add suspension to the landing gear? They perform like static posts and make for hard landings. Other than that, this mod is indispensable!

Unfortunately there won't be much spare time in the coming weeks but I'll try to work on those two things.

As you might assume I'm not using tweakscale and that's why the legs come in different sizes. However there might be a way of implementing it without making the different sized legs redundant by just allowing the legs to be scaled in a limited range.
I'll also try to add suspension to the heat shield landing legs. And don't hesitate to post those pictures, it's always great to see how the parts are used.

1 hour ago, RandyRawgust said:

Just curious if anyone has a fix for this. I'm still in ver 1.1.3 and the Aerodynamic Docking Port becomes locked with the Clamp O Tron.

I'm still running KSP v1.1.3 and use the Aerodynamic Docking Port all the time on my Dragon V2 spacecraft. I've never had issues with them locking.

You might need to provide error logs. :wink:

Quick question @EmbersArc, is there any reason you can think of why I can't dock a vessel to a docking port located inside the Trunk part from your mod? Having difficulties with it but cant figure out why, was wondering if it's something to do with the model / colliders of the part.

As soon as the probe enters the trunk, something appears to nudge its orientation off. Also decoupling it from inside the trunk sends it off in a strange direction, suggesting it's colliding with something.

Edited by Qwarkk

On 11/18/2016 at 9:17 PM, Captain Planet said:

Would it be possible to add some suspension to the little landing legs in the heatshield? It would be awesome to have just that little bit of give in those legs on touchdown.

If I remember correctly then this was a bug in 1.1.3 happening with all docking ports. Haven't tried it myself but this seems to add a workaround:

On 12/2/2016 at 8:42 PM, Qwarkk said:

Quick question @EmbersArc, is there any reason you can think of why I can't dock a vessel to a docking port located inside the Trunk part from your mod? Having difficulties with it but cant figure out why, was wondering if it's something to do with the model / colliders of the part.

As soon as the probe enters the trunk, something appears to nudge its orientation off. Also decoupling it from inside the trunk sends it off in a strange direction, suggesting it's colliding with something.

I did some tests and it worked with both docking ports. The colliders don't extend past the visible mesh. However I noticed that some of them were duplicated which will be fixed in the next version but that probably wasn't the problem.

Can you provide some screenshots?

3 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

I did some tests and it worked with both docking ports. The colliders don't extend past the visible mesh. However I noticed that some of them were duplicated which will be fixed in the next version but that probably wasn't the problem.

Can you provide some screenshots?

Only now had the chance to do some further experimenting with this issue, and it turns out it was another mod trying to limit the angled orientation of docking to conflicting numbers, hence the docking torque / ejection was messing the craft about. I've sorted that out and can now dock perfectly fine inside the trunk. Didn't think it was to do with this mod initially but the problem really stumped me so I just wanted to double check - appreciate the help.

So since this is December, here's my wishlist:

• A Dragon 2-alike, all-in-one capsule (yeah I know, not happening. Might as well try to do it myself...)
  • Dragon 1 solar panels with jettisonable cover
  • Dragon 1 docking port cover, jettisable too
  • An empty docking port shield that would allow using ports other than the Clamp-o-Tron, such as the 0.625m port, or the 0.9375m CADS from BDB
  • CST-100 Starliner parts? I dunno, the service module looks pretty cool. Also the airbags would fit well with the reusability theme...
Edited by PickledTripod

• 2 weeks later...

Ive know about this mod for a while but have never really seen the point..

Until yesterday when i finally discovered the wonders reusability works for your career mode budget, plus it just looks cool. I did i really just launch and land a rocket on the same pad?

KerbalReusabilityExpansion\StageLegs\LegTextureBlack.dds

That texture is quite large @ 20.8 MB. You might wanna reduce the resolution down from 4096x4096 to something like 2048x2048 or even 1024x1024. 

You could also go with the DTX1 format instead of DTX5. You aren't using an alpha channel on that texture. Storing it @ 4096x4096 in DTX1 results in a 10.6 MB file

Here is part 2 of the almost fully reusable mun mission, this time I am launching a kerbin departure stage made with sstu parts to hook up with the lander/habitat that is in LKO. Both the boosters and the ET use these awesome KRE parts to make these land, so thank you @EmbersArc for making this awesome mod!

The album: http://imgur.com/gallery/7lqHy

Really like the landing legs in this mod. Very nice looking and useful for those larger landers as well as reuseable launches. 

BUT, 

The collision mesh on those Flacon legs, I mean dang. I havent seen parts that touchy about collision for a long time. I love them, everything about them, except the collision issues. 

Oh and some tweakscale integration would be nice saves on the mod size and saves me an hour or so of doing it myself. 

On 12/24/2016 at 6:11 PM, RGBPeter said:

KerbalReusabilityExpansion\StageLegs\LegTextureBlack.dds

That texture is quite large @ 20.8 MB. You might wanna reduce the resolution down from 4096x4096 to something like 2048x2048 or even 1024x1024. 

You could also go with the DTX1 format instead of DTX5. You aren't using an alpha channel on that texture. Storing it @ 4096x4096 in DTX1 results in a 10.6 MB file

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll convert them to DTX1 in the next update.

13 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

The collision mesh on those Flacon legs, I mean dang. I havent seen parts that touchy about collision for a long time. I love them, everything about them, except the collision issues. 

Oh and some tweakscale integration would be nice saves on the mod size and saves me an hour or so of doing it myself. 

Can you elaborate on those issues? I'm not aware of any problems with the collision mesh.

14 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Really like the landing legs in this mod. Very nice looking and useful for those larger landers as well as reuseable launches. 

BUT, 

Not that hard to write a MM it might not work the way you want but you will get better at it give it a try for all your Tweakscale needs here try something like this

Spoiler

SCALETYPE
{
    name = TweakScale
    freeScale = false
    scaleFactors = 0.25, 0.35, 0.5, 0.7, 1.0, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8, 4.0
    scaleNames = 25%, 35%, 50%, 70%, 100%, 140%, 200%, 280%, 400%
    defaultScale = 1.0
}

@PART[*]!MODULE[TweakScale]
{
     MODULE
    {
        name = TweakScale
        type = TweakScale
        defaultScale = 1
    }
}

Click on that little spoiler thing if you didn't get it have fun and hope it helps

8 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

Can you elaborate on those issues? I'm not aware of any problems with the collision mesh.

If I place any of the Falcon legs on a craft that has anything else attached to the outside even remotely close to the legs the entire craft will vibrate during play. Some times when the legs close or open they will break parts that are attached at 45deg to them. I can only assume it is a collision problem. IDK if this is the result of a mod conflict??? I have several installed, but nothing like KJR. Ive never had much need for it honestly, good design and proper strutting has always worked for me. 

I can avoid this problem usually if I offest the legs well outside their default position. Usually resulting in shock mount and upper leg nub being just off the surface of the rocket. 

Is it really just me who has this problem? I think the upper leg nub could/should be removed it seems to be what is causing most of the problems from what I can tell. 

As to TweakScale, I know how to do it but working a fulltime job and caring for an infant child gives me little time to play games. I dont want to waste that short time editing scripts just so I can have functionality the next chance I get to play. It was just a suggestion anyway, for everyone's convenience, I will eventually do it myself Im sure. It also saves the mod maker some work instead of three of each model/texture/UV map/ect. we only need 1 and tweakscale functionality. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.