[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

The landing gear system put up a good fight but it has been defeated:

CDQJLDw.gif

Landing isn't much harder than with the SpaceX legs.
Texturing and making a 3.75m variant and will be next. The time has also come to have another look at the SpaceX legs. Maybe it'll work this time.

EDIT: 3.75m is done. Was much easier than expected, just changing the rescale factor did the trick. That seems like it's the first thing to try but I expected it to have the same effect as changing the scale factor in the MODEL node. That's probably the reason why the SpaceX legs have problems with the suspension because the scale factor was used there.

Edited by svendii

On 14/09/2016 at 2:01 PM, svendii said:
Your grind fins are pointing the wrong way which is why they might not work for you.

D'oh! :blush:

Concerning the legs... stock legs have always seemed a bit meh in KSP because they either blow up, fall off in one piece, or don't break.  This unrealistic effect is just amplified in the case of this mod because the legs are so big.

Compare this to stock wheels, which have a damage model.  If someone could come up with legs that have an alternate deformed damage model (with compacted/bent geometry) that means the craft might topel over, this would be much more realistic and satisfying, whether they stay attached to the craft or not.

It's been quite a productive day and I'm proud to announce:

The legs are fixed and work as they should! :D

The whole setup has been redone and finally seems to work.

It's much simpler now. I've thrown together some pictures for those who are interested:
EDIT: updated with latest setup

ZmFg2ep.png

I hope this can save someone a few hours (or days). It's probably not the whole story so don't hesitate to ask if things are unclear.

As per @PickledTripod's suggestion I've also made the legs compatible with FStextureSwitch2. From now on Firespitter will be necessary to get the black legs. The second variant of the legs will be hidden in the editor first (so that the crafts can still be loaded) and later deleted.

Edited by svendii

I've heard about this mod for a while, but i've never had the chance to actually look at what it has to offer, and I am definitely going to be using it in 1.2 when it gets updated for it as I really like reusable stuff like the Falcon 9.

Legs are almost done:

hhU9Rpd.png

Let me know what you think and if there's something you would change.
The new engines are also great for building engine clusters.

The setup on the Falcon legs has been adjusted (hopefully for the last time now) to increase the suspension distance to avoid some bad visuals. I'll update the last post with an explanation of the current configuration. Works really well now.

Unfortunately the 1.2 update broke the grid fins. Somehow that's what I see in the flight scene when the fins are retracted:

KlWfgqI.png

I've been able to track it down to ModuleAnimateGeneric. It happens with and without the grid fin plugin. Other parts with ModuleAnimateGeneric (the heat shield for example) work fine. No idea why this happens.
The log doesn't help either:

Spoiler

[LOG 21:25:22.434] Unpacking Untitled Space Craft
[LOG 21:25:22.474] recalculating orbit for HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft): Kerbin ( Update mode TRACK_Phys )
rPos: [-494197.387362596, -1018.13570037521, 340375.341600806]   rVel: [-99.2435385742814, 0, -144.093518395208] |174.963487597427|
[LOG 21:25:22.478] recalculated orbit for HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft): the Sun ( UT: 132514.866407728 )
rPos: [NaN, NaN, NaN]   rVel: [NaN, NaN, NaN] |NaN|
Delta: [NaN, NaN, NaN] / [NaN, NaN, NaN]
[LOG 21:25:22.485] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 21:25:22.492] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

[LOG 21:25:22.495] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.505] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.506] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.507] setting new dominant body: the Sun
FlightGlobals.mainBody: the Sun
[LOG 21:25:22.508] Vessel HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft) velocity resumed. Reference body: Sun vel: [NaN, NaN, NaN]
[LOG 21:25:22.511] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.512] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.514] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.514] Kerbin: Resetting
[ERR 21:25:22.523] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

[LOG 21:25:22.525] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.531] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.532] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.533] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.534] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 21:25:22.534] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

...and so on

It shows a problem with the collider but it also happens when the part is exported without colliders.
Maybe someone has an idea.

23 minutes ago, svendii said:

Unfortunately the 1.2 update broke the grid fins. Somehow that's what I see in the flight scene when the fins are retracted:

I've been able to track it down to ModuleAnimateGeneric. It happens with and without the grid fin plugin. Other parts with ModuleAnimateGeneric (the heat shield for example) work fine. No idea why this happens.
The log doesn't help either:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 21:25:22.434] Unpacking Untitled Space Craft
[LOG 21:25:22.474] recalculating orbit for HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft): Kerbin ( Update mode TRACK_Phys )
rPos: [-494197.387362596, -1018.13570037521, 340375.341600806]   rVel: [-99.2435385742814, 0, -144.093518395208] |174.963487597427|
[LOG 21:25:22.478] recalculated orbit for HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft): the Sun ( UT: 132514.866407728 )
rPos: [NaN, NaN, NaN]   rVel: [NaN, NaN, NaN] |NaN|
Delta: [NaN, NaN, NaN] / [NaN, NaN, NaN]
[LOG 21:25:22.485] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 21:25:22.492] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

[LOG 21:25:22.495] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.505] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.507] setting new dominant body: the Sun
FlightGlobals.mainBody: the Sun
[LOG 21:25:22.508] Vessel HECS2.ProbeCore (Untitled Space Craft) velocity resumed. Reference body: Sun vel: [NaN, NaN, NaN]
[LOG 21:25:22.512] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.514] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 21:25:22.514] Kerbin: Resetting
[ERR 21:25:22.523] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

[LOG 21:25:22.534] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[ERR 21:25:22.534] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "Grid Fin M/model/fins/Grid"

...and so on

It shows a problem with the collider but it also happens when the part is exported without colliders.
Maybe someone has an idea.

You might want to check the Superdracos, they both crash the game for me in 1.2pre as well as the grid fins.

31 minutes ago, DerpyFirework said:

You might want to check the Superdracos, they both crash the game for me in 1.2pre as well as the grid fins.

Thanks! I didn't even consider those causing any problems. Looks like it's a problem with PartTools because those parts don't have much in common. Hoping the 1.2 version of it will be released soon.

17 hours ago, svendii said:

Thanks! I didn't even consider those causing any problems. Looks like it's a problem with PartTools because those parts don't have much in common. Hoping the 1.2 version of it will be released soon.

Good news! Build 1523 fixed everything. No crashing with the grid fins or superdracos.

8 minutes ago, DerpyFirework said:

Good news! Build 1523 fixed everything. No crashing with the grid fins or superdracos.

Perfect! It looks like they had something in common after all: zero drag

Spoiler
  • Handle zero-drag cases, fixing a physics-destroying NaN issue with the Hubs.

@svendii the New Glenn leg/engine mount looks a bit plain IMO. I think it could use another texture pass to add some more details, or at least more wear. It has the 'playdough' look (a term I've been using recently :P ) where it's just sort of a blob of shape. There isn't much to break it up, make it look mechanical/manufactured. I'm aware that a lot of rockets these days have the 'smooth fiberglass outer shell' thing going on, so that's just my 2c. :)

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@svendii the New Glenn leg/engine mount looks a bit plain IMO. I think it could use another texture pass to add some more details, or at least more wear. It has the 'playdough' look (a term I've been using recently :P ) where it's just sort of a blob of shape. There isn't much to break it up, make it look mechanical/manufactured. I'm aware that a lot of rockets these days have the 'smooth fiberglass outer shell' thing going on, so that's just my 2c. :)

You're right, thanks for the suggestions. I've now tried to break it up a bit:

4lOCHjf.png

@DerpyFirework The grid fin bug is fixed! Reloading does no longer break the animation. In the devnotes a few weeks back they said that they had fixed a bug with part deployment. That must have been it.

19 hours ago, StevieC said:

does this mean I can use KRE now in KSP 1.2 without any problems?

Probably, but no guarantee. I'm currently finishing the 1.2 version anyway. Will be released very soon.

Update 2.0

• Added landing legs based on the New Glenn rocket
  • Animation and suspension of Falcon legs fixed
  • Firespitter compatibility for switching to black texture on Falcon legs (black part model hidden, will be removed in next version)
  • Grid fin animation bug is fixed in KSP 1.2
  • Other small improvements

You can download it from Curse. SpaceDock unfortunately doesn't allow 1.2 versions yet.

9 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Does it still work in 1.1.3? I'll be playing that version fo r a little longer I think...

It doesn't. I've adjusted the editor categories for 1.2 which leads to a nullref in 1.1.3. You can manually change the "category =" in each config file to be for example "Utility" which should work.

So... seeing as The Elon has tweeted some specs about Raptor, any chance of incorporating a Raptor engine into your mod please, @svendii?

(I realise it doesn't exactly fall within the realm of reusability, but adding it would be great, please, but I understand if you'd rather not)

Relevant tweets:

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

1h1 hour ago

55m55 minutes ago

Engine nozzle of 14ft diameter: 35m35 minutes ago

11 hours ago, DavidHunter said:

So... seeing as The Elon has tweeted some specs about Raptor, any chance of incorporating a Raptor engine into your mod please, @svendii?

(I realise it doesn't exactly fall within the realm of reusability, but adding it would be great, please, but I understand if you'd rather not)

Relevant tweets:

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

1h1 hour ago

55m55 minutes ago

That might be more the job of the Launchers Pack and Tundra for a stock alike version.

12 hours ago, DavidHunter said:

Relevant tweets:

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

2h2 hours ago

1h1 hour ago

55m55 minutes ago

Unless the Raptor is an integral part of the whole reusability system - like the SuperDracos for example - I'd rather not add it. But we'll see about that tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Eh, @tygoo7 spends too much time being a memelord and doing 'other stuff'. :P

Hoping for some other talented developer to do it then. *cough* @Kartoffelkuchen *cough*

Also I've noticed that the medium sized legs are way to weak. Will fix it in a 2.0.1 version soon. If anyone's found some more problems let me know.

Edited by svendii

35 minutes ago, svendii said:

Unless the Raptor is an integral part of the whole reusability system - like the SuperDracos for example - I'd rather not add it. But we'll see about that tomorrow.

Hoping for some other talented developer to do it then. *cough* @Kartoffelkuchen *cough*

Also I've noticed that the medium sized legs are way to weak. Will fix it in a 2.0.1 version soon. If anyone's found some more problems let me know.

Heh, you're funny! :P

I'm so hyped for tomorrow lol. I just want to see how the Raptor is actually made, and the arrangement of the different parts. Once that is known, absolutely nothing will stop me from doing it! Especially nice would be some spot-on 3D renders (oh, HD images of the real one would be ok too!),oh man, we'll see what they have for us!

I really like the New Glenn inspired landing gear btw, nice job with the texturing. :)

8 hours ago, svendii said:

Understandable, but I figured it was worth asking anyway. :wink:

8 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

I just want to see how the Raptor is actually made, and the arrangement of the different parts. Once that is known, absolutely nothing will stop me from doing it!

Yay! :)

SdCCdQk.png

...and of course it doesn't have any legs. Great. :rolleyes: At least saves me some work.
Not sure if we need another set of grid fins but I wouldn't be against making them.

The legs on the lander look quite interesting though:

r1Usao8.png

Looking forward to making those.

In other news:

This sweet feature has just been added to 1.2:

• Allow setting a default action group for ModuleAnimateGeneric. Apply to some pods with lighted windows.

That means that in version 2.0.2 the grid fins are now in the Brakes action group and the legs on the heat shield are in the Gear action group by default.

I've also uploaded a version 1.99 which is a 1.1.3 compatible release of version 2.0.2 for 1.2. You should be able to update without it breaking anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.