[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

3 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Is it really just me who has this problem? I think the upper leg nub could/should be removed it seems to be what is causing most of the problems from what I can tell. 

I use the Falcon legs on many of my vehicles, but have never seen any instability. Here is one of my vehicles refueling on Minmus. Note the SuperDracos mounted in between the leg attachment points.

I do adjust the mounting angles using the VAB rotate tool, because I find that the default mount position clips the legs into the fuselage. (I also use KJR)

oDGGiU3.png

On 1/5/2017 at 0:01 AM, Aaron Also said:

Is it really just me who has this problem? I think the upper leg nub could/should be removed it seems to be what is causing most of the problems from what I can tell. 

Yes. I've used the falcon legs extensively and have never encountered any problems. Some pictures of your problem craft or better yet, a craft file would help a lot with reproducing your issue (which is the first step, not gutting the model). Could be as simple as having offset the legs too far into the main body of the craft. Could be another mod interacting badly. You can find out of it's a mod conflict by trying to reproduce the issue with only KRE installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Am i the only one having this problem? I am using the 1.2 pre-release, with the 1.2 pre-release version (im too lazy right now to change versions) and no matter how i install it, whether it be CKAN, or manual install, the only parts i get to use in the game are the gridfins, the verner engines, and the dragon fuel tank, no landing legs or anything else. I have tried multiple versions of the mod, and none seem to do the trick. Is there an incompatible mod list? I have been browsing looking for a solution to this, and have not been able to find someone with this problem. Please help.

3 hours ago, cannon001 said:

Am i the only one having this problem? I am using the 1.2 pre-release, with the 1.2 pre-release version (im too lazy right now to change versions) and no matter how i install it, whether it be CKAN, or manual install, the only parts i get to use in the game are the gridfins, the verner engines, and the dragon fuel tank, no landing legs or anything else. I have tried multiple versions of the mod, and none seem to do the trick. Is there an incompatible mod list? I have been browsing looking for a solution to this, and have not been able to find someone with this problem. Please help.

Its probably best to update to 1.2.2 then see how it goes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

First, thank you for this awesome mod. I have used it for long time and is rly useful :)

I had one issue with the dragon heatshield in my last mission and maybe someone could help me with it. The thing is that the deltav readout (with KER) gave me something like 400m/s, but when I reach 300m/s the dracos suddenly stop to fire. Then I check it at the VAH and I see when i add the dragon heatshield part it adds mass to the ship, but it didnt adjust the deltav (like if it was massless).

Have someone seen this bug? it could be some part config error or just a bug of KER?

Thanks in advance! :D

PD: sry about my english guys, long time without using it :P

2 hours ago, swoosh said:

Hi all

First, thank you for this awesome mod. I have used it for long time and is rly useful :)

I had one issue with the dragon heatshield in my last mission and maybe someone could help me with it. The thing is that the deltav readout (with KER) gave me something like 400m/s, but when I reach 300m/s the dracos suddenly stop to fire. Then I check it at the VAH and I see when i add the dragon heatshield part it adds mass to the ship, but it didnt adjust the deltav (like if it was massless).

Have someone seen this bug? it could be some part config error or just a bug of KER?

Great observation! It looks like this has to do with the decoupling module. KER seems to think that after decoupling, the mass is jettisoned even though it's still there. The cause is most likely the direction of the node. Note that in the VAB it always says "decoupler attached wrong".

I'll try to fix it next week while working on version 2.3.1 of the mod.

On 6/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, EmbersArc said:

Great observation! It looks like this has to do with the decoupling module. KER seems to think that after decoupling, the mass is jettisoned even though it's still there. The cause is most likely the direction of the node. Note that in the VAB it always says "decoupler attached wrong".

I'll try to fix it next week while working on version 2.3.1 of the mod.

Yep, I didnt see the VAB warning about the decoupler. Thx for the future fix and the fast reply!! :D

EDIT: The deltav redout in IVA with rasterpropmonitor seems correct, so the "bug" is just with KER.

Edited by swoosh

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2.3.1 2

• Reformatted textures (memory demand reduced by 40%) as suggested by @RGBPeter
  • Tweakscale support: Each part is scaleable in a limited range when Tweakscale is installed (so that you can't scale up the small legs to be as big as the large ones)
  • Added crossfeed toggle to heatshield decoupler

Download from Spacedock

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to fix the heatshield deltaV bug as it is not necessarily a bug. The issue might be on the KER side as @swoosh pointed out:

On 2/6/2017 at 4:51 PM, swoosh said:

EDIT: The deltav redout in IVA with rasterpropmonitor seems correct, so the "bug" is just with KER.

Edited by EmbersArc

4 hours ago, EmbersArc said:
  • Tweakscale support: Each part is scaleable in a limited range when Tweakscale is installed (so that you can't scale up the small legs to be as big as the large ones)

The tweakscale config throws MM errors, at least when Tweakscale isn't installed.

11 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The tweakscale config throws MM errors, at least when Tweakscale isn't installed.

You're right. Forgot to tell it to check for TweakScale first.
I've uploaded a new version.

As you see I haven't done much in terms of testing. So keep letting me know if things don't work.

5 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to fix the heatshield deltaV bug as it is not necessarily a bug. The issue might be on the KER side as @swoosh pointed out:

It's not KER or KRE either one.  It's the way that KSP reads decouplers and where they decouple from.  In some cases, such as this one, nothing you can do can get you an accurate picture of the true dV without disabling the offending decoupler.  This discussion took place about 2 years ago in the KER and MJ threads IIRC.  

For example, to find the true dV of the KRE Dragon setup, temporarily add in a separate decoupler below the heat shield and disable the decoupler staging on the Dragon heat shield.  This will force both KSP, and in turn, KER to accurately calculate the dV.  I've run into this little issue SOOOoooooo many times I couldn't count it and this has always provided the solution.  The issue will really rear its ugly head if you happen to have a part that you cannot disable the staging on.  Sometimes even TweakEverything! won't allow it...

Good luck with the features (not bugs) of KSP! :P 

Hey there! And thanks for the lovely mod.

Is there a way to remove some parts that I dont need? Just wondering.

And has the creator of those perfectly stockalike legs and fins been contacted by Squad yet?? :wink:

Thanks in advance

Daf

(the Squad statement was more a hint for whoever listens than a serious question)

Great mod! I used to use it all the time for 1.1 but decided to do a total stock career in 1.2. Now I'm looking to use this again but only the grid fins and dragon tank are working as of now. The landing legs, trunk, trunk fins, etc. don't show up in my parts list or in the tech tree. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Since the last update, the sheppard landing legs have locked autostrut to heaviest part, and that breaks all robotic crafts using infernal robotics. How can I change the parts to not have that locked? Thanks!

On 2/24/2017 at 8:05 AM, Dafni said:

Is there a way to remove some parts that I dont need? Just wondering.

Sure, go to the GameData/KerbalReusabilityExpansion folder and delete anything you don't need.

17 hours ago, dschmidt972 said:

Great mod! I used to use it all the time for 1.1 but decided to do a total stock career in 1.2. Now I'm looking to use this again but only the grid fins and dragon tank are working as of now. The landing legs, trunk, trunk fins, etc. don't show up in my parts list or in the tech tree. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Hard to tell what the problem is without more information. First try reinstalling just KRE, if that doesn't work try it without any other mods. As a last resort a clean installation of KSP should fix it.

16 hours ago, Krux said:

Since the last update, the sheppard landing legs have locked autostrut to heaviest part, and that breaks all robotic crafts using infernal robotics. How can I change the parts to not have that locked? Thanks!

The original purpose of autostrut was to strut the landing legs to the heaviest part. That's what they still do by default if I'm not mistaken. Not sure why you had no issues before. You mean the last update of KRE right?

I'm not sure, but a few days ago, a craft that I built last week stopped working, the parts that had landing legs used to articulate using Infernal Robotics now don't move and break the joint. I noticed that the shepard legs had autostrut locked to heaviest part afterwards, but I'm not sure if they were before, so I don't really know why didn't it happen earlier. I looked through the part data, but didn't find any way to disable the lock for the autostrut. There's an imgur album with a couple images explaining the problem. http://imgur.com/a/cQYds

4 hours ago, Krux said:

I'm not sure, but a few days ago, a craft that I built last week stopped working, the parts that had landing legs used to articulate using Infernal Robotics now don't move and break the joint. I noticed that the shepard legs had autostrut locked to heaviest part afterwards, but I'm not sure if they were before, so I don't really know why didn't it happen earlier. I looked through the part data, but didn't find any way to disable the lock for the autostrut. There's an imgur album with a couple images explaining the problem. http://imgur.com/a/cQYds

Did you install Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? The behavior you're describing could come from that. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with KRE.
Also nice ship, I like seeing the parts being used in creative ways.

Well, I don't have KJR installed, but I'm starting to think that this may be caused by the KSP Wheel plugin created by Shadowmage, which is used in the continued Kerbal Foundries mod (and I do have that installed). I'm not totally sure though, but I discovered that every part labeled as "leg" or "wheel" has the same locked autostrut, so it's probably not related to KER as you said. I will ask about this in the KSP Wheel forum, once I get some sleep (it's like 2:00 am here in spain). Also, I'll probably make an imgur album dedicated to this ship as soon as I can finish it (its goal is to go to Duna and back, kinda like Spacex's ITS). Thanks for everything!

@DerpyFirework did some great work on his plugin that is also used for the grid fins. It now also works for lifting surfaces and is more efficient.

This opens some new possibilities. Here's what we're currently working on:

JEZLCtl.png

It's a deployable control and lifting surface based on the flyable booster concept for the Buran rocket:

gk175-1.jpg

The challenge right now is to make the elevons on the wings work correctly. We're trying to do it with just one part but so far it looks like that's not possible. The elevons would work for pitch but we can't find a way to make them move independently (for roll control).
The obvious solution is to split it up in multiple parts, but we first want to find a simpler solution.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

11 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

@DerpyFirework did some great work on his plugin that is also used for the grid fins. It now also works for lifting surfaces and is more efficient.

This opens some new possibilities. Here's what we're currently working on:

JEZLCtl.png

It's a deployable control and lifting surface based on the flyable booster concept for the Buran rocket:

gk175-1.jpg

The challenge right now is to make the elevons on the wings work correctly. We're trying to do it with just one part but so far it looks like that's not possible. The elevons would work for pitch but we can't find a way to make them move independently (for roll control).
The obvious solution is to split it up in multiple parts, but we first want to find a simpler solution.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

YES!!! I have spent so much time making a ir/procedural wings/quntum structs moving wing and i see you guys are making one! Awesome

The model is now mostly finished. Thanks to @DerpyFirework for helping me set up the wings.

Did some testing and I'm quite happy with the results so far. Here are some pictures:

KjMohsw.png

hyHLm52.png

A boostback burn is required, but you don't need to aim for the space center:

M7R9ABc.png

8iw3UV1.png

ajk7Rbt.png

iS69Uks.png

TzrIZFK.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.