[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

5 hours ago, UnknownEclipse said:

Is there an exhaust effect update on the drawing board for the superdracos? This mod would be perfect with that one small change.

This mod is awesome already, BTW.

I'll have a look at it eventually. Until then you can use RealPlume if you like, it has a config for that.

Update 2.4 "It's a plane! It's a rocket! It's both!"

6CrNoDG.png

• Added Deployable Wings: An alternative method to recover stages
  • Made SuperDraco exhaust not look bad
  • Improvements to DeployableAeroSurfaces plugin
  • Adjusted grid fin aero parameters
  • Fixed ITS leg rotation in editor icon
  • Removed stray Trunk Fin mesh from Grid Fins folder

Thanks again to @DerpyFirework for helping with configs and setups and for improving his plugin.

As always let me know if I broke something.

SpaceDock Download

8TdM7dQ.gif

That is something I didn't even think was possible. I was already using AB Launchers tanks to make a nice-looking Falcon 9, but now we can make the reusable Zenit boosters...

Also tell me if I'm pestering you with my requests, but there are two things I'd really like to have: Dragon 1 solar panels with a jettisonable cover, to go with your trunk; and a Dragon 2 trunk that's completely round, with maybe integrated solar panels.

Edited by PickledTripod

1 hour ago, PickledTripod said:

Also tell me if I'm pestering you with my requests, but there are two things I'd really like to have: Dragon 1 solar panels with a jettisonable cover, to go with your trunk; and a Dragon 2 trunk that's completely round, with maybe integrated solar panels.

Requests are always welcome :)
However I'm not planning on adding another part that is not directly connected to reusability. The trunk is already a compromise between Crew and Cargo Dragon trunks. Maybe I'll make solar panels eventually because the stock ones are a bit small.
Also, I recognize that profile picture.

1 hour ago, Avo4Dayz said:

Can I get some advice on how to attached the new deployable wing? It doesn't snap into place for me.....

Forgot to mention: The wings start in the deployed position. After placing the mount part you can rotate them with Q and E and place one on each side.

Hello, got a question, how strong are the Grid Fins intended to be compared to Airbrakes drag-wise in FAR?

Tried testing them by flying straight up to a 150km apoapsis then falling down (w/o any burns) and with Airbrakes the rocket reached a velocity of about 280 m/s shortly before crashing into the ground, while with Grid Fins (tried both medium and large ones) it was still going well over 1 km/s at 3000m and just disassembled itself from aeroforces and heat. Even when going that fast at low altitude the peak drag was about 30% lower then it was with Airbrakes (and with them it peaked at a much higher altitude).

25 minutes ago, Xaryen said:

Hello, got a question, how strong are the Grid Fins intended to be compared to Airbrakes drag-wise in FAR?

Tried testing them by flying straight up to a 150km apoapsis then falling down (w/o any burns) and with Airbrakes the rocket reached a velocity of about 280 m/s shortly before crashing into the ground, while with Grid Fins (tried both medium and large ones) it was still going well over 1 km/s at 3000m and just disassembled itself from aeroforces and heat. Even when going that fast at low altitude the peak drag was about 30% lower then it was with Airbrakes (and with them it peaked at a much higher altitude).

Grid Fins should be compared to *fins*, not airbrakes.  They're control surfaces, not braking  surfaces.  They'll point you in the correct direction, but you need something else to slow you down.

11 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Grid Fins should be compared to *fins*, not airbrakes.  They're control surfaces, not braking  surfaces.  They'll point you in the correct direction, but you need something else to slow you down.

I'm basing this off what was said earlier in the thread.

The only adjustment that's needed is the drag in the deployed position. Even with FAR the stock airbrakes have very high drag so why not have that with the grid fins too. Currently I'm looking for a way to adjust the drag in the deployed position.

I know they aren't really suppossed to be airbrakes but:

a) they work like that in stock aero

b) with KSPs mass ratios they kinda need to work like that, otherwise you either need to add actual airbrakes (mostly what I've been doing so far) or spend copious amounts of fuel just for the landing burn, as in ~1500m/s.

In reality F9 goes transonic around the time the landing burn starts, in KSP it just keeps accelerating until very low in the atmospehere and hits the ground at mach 3

1 hour ago, Xaryen said:

The grid fins achieve their drag in a different way than the airbrakes. They use drag cubes that scale up massively when they are deployed. Unfortunately, FAR doesn't care about stock drag cubes and uses its own more realistic model. Meanwhile it leaves the drag for the airbrakes mostly the same.

I'd immediately increase the drag for the fins in FAR as well but don't know how. I'll have another look at it when there's an official version for 1.2.

I just had an idea, not sure if you'll like it but it is a reusability-related part:

220px-Gemini_paraglider.JPG

The DeployableWings plugin should work nicely for that Gemini parawing idea. Or if you prefer a more modern look there's this one from the Eyes Turned Skywards alternate histoy:

fetch.php?w=750&tok=07dcd3&media=timelin

5 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

I just had an idea, not sure if you'll like it but it is a reusability-related part:

The DeployableWings plugin should work nicely for that Gemini parawing idea. Or if you prefer a more modern look there's this one from the Eyes Turned Skywards alternate histoy:

Yes! I would totally love to use a paraglider for my space program!

The dragon heat shield and fuel tank use different types of configs for tweakscale, the fuel tank needs to be changed to the following. 

//Fuel Tank
@PART[DragonFuelTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FOR[KerbalReusabilityExpansion]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = stack
		defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

On 3/13/2017 at 6:14 AM, EmbersArc said:

Update 2.4 "It's a plane! It's a rocket! It's both!"

6CrNoDG.png

• Added Deployable Wings: An alternative method to recover stages
  • Made SuperDraco exhaust not look bad
  • Improvements to DeployableAeroSurfaces plugin
  • Adjusted grid fin aero parameters
  • Fixed ITS leg rotation in editor icon
  • Removed stray Trunk Fin mesh from Grid Fins folder

Thanks again to @DerpyFirework for helping with configs and setups and for improving his plugin.

As always let me know if I broke something.

SpaceDock Download

8TdM7dQ.gif

Are those the deployable wings from RobForrest?

Do they change their lift depending on whether they are deployed or not?

On 3/13/2017 at 9:28 AM, JangoBunBun said:

Any plans on New Glenn style fins for rockets? Would really like something like that, instead of having to jury-rig something from stock parts. Thanks in advance!

Not a bad idea but there are no plans for that. Seeing how often the grid fins are attached the wrong way I imagine it would just be much worse with fins that don't have a clear direction.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:20 AM, PickledTripod said:

220px-Gemini_paraglider.JPG

Cool idea. It wouldn't be quite the same as the deployable wings however. This would be harder to split into two parts which is necessary to provide roll control.

On 3/25/2017 at 8:58 PM, EstebanLB said:

Hello all, I've looked in the OP and the last pages but found no info about 1.2.2 compatibility. Does it works in that version with no problems?

Yes. If it doesn't, tell me :wink:

On 3/27/2017 at 2:10 AM, eberkain said:

The dragon heat shield and fuel tank use different types of configs for tweakscale, the fuel tank needs to be changed to the following. 

//Fuel Tank
@PART[DragonFuelTank]:NEEDS[TweakScale]:FOR[KerbalReusabilityExpansion]
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = stack
		defaultScale = 2.5
    }
}

Okay thanks, will change that.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are those the deployable wings from RobForrest?

Do they change their lift depending on whether they are deployed or not?

Didn't know about those!

But yes, with the power of the DeployableAeroSurfaces plugin the control surface only works when the wing is deployed.

15 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Seeing how often the grid fins are attached the wrong way I imagine it would just be much worse with fins that don't have a clear direction.

Hmm, I used to attach them like they look on the Falcon9. When they are not deployed they are pointing down. Is this how you meant them to be used or am I missing something here?

20 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Not a bad idea but there are no plans for that. Seeing how often the grid fins are attached the wrong way I imagine it would just be much worse with fins that don't have a clear direction.

Cool idea. It wouldn't be quite the same as the deployable wings however. This would be harder to split into two parts which is necessary to provide roll control.

Yes. If it doesn't, tell me :wink:

Okay thanks, will change that.

Didn't know about those!

But yes, with the power of the DeployableAeroSurfaces plugin the control surface only works when the wing is deployed.

Interesting.

Were you aware of this:

1 minute ago, Dafni said:

Hmm, I used to attach them like they look on the Falcon9. When they are not deployed they are pointing down. Is this how you meant them to be used or am I missing something here?

Yes that's the correct way. Way to often I see people just attaching them like they are initially in the editor. Example (in the comments).

Can't change it unfortunately because that's how control surfaces work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.