[1.3.1] Galileo's Sun Flares [v1.8.3]

Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

No, but you can easily put the textures in SVE and they will work

Yes, although it's a little more complicated than copy/paste. SVE_Settings.cfg has the lines

%flareSettings = 0.5,1,0.32
%spikesSettings = 0.7,1,0.32

The "0.32" means the flares from this pack become huge. I'm glad you answered this in the scatterer thread, in the context of resizing with Sigma Dimensions, but it's worth mentioning here for other users' sakes: the smaller this number, the larger the flare. This pack does better with the settings it comes with, installed in the scatterer folder, but SVE overrides those settings. I just changed the SVE settings file, which worked. This pack may benefit from the same MM love you've recently given your other mods.

Edited by danfarnsy

14 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

Yes, although it's a little more complicated than copy/paste. SVE_Settings.cfg has the lines

%flareSettings = 0.5,1,0.32
%spikesSettings = 0.7,1,0.32

The "0.32" means the flares from this pack become huge. I'm glad you answered this in the scatterer thread, in the context of resizing with Sigma Dimensions, but it's worth mentioning here for other users' sakes: the smaller this number, the larger the flare. This pack does better with the settings it comes with, installed in the scatterer folder, but SVE overrides those settings. I just changed the SVE settings file, which worked. This pack may benefit from the same MM love you've recently given your other mods.

Yeah I started to figure this out.  Overwriting the Sunflare inside the scatterer folder did nothing so I overwrote the Sunflare folder of SVE instead.  This worked but resulted in a gigantic freakin sun.  I'm still playing with the flare and spike settings to get something that looks good for the stock Kerbol system.

2 minutes ago, captainb said:

Yeah I started to figure this out.  Overwriting the Sunflare inside the scatterer folder did nothing so I overwrote the Sunflare folder of SVE instead.  This worked but resulted in a gigantic freakin sun.  I'm still playing with the flare and spike settings to get something that looks good for the stock Kerbol system.

Changing the last number in those two lines, from 0.32 to something like 0.8 or 1, is about right.

32 minutes ago, danfarnsy said:

Changing the last number in those two lines, from 0.32 to something like 0.8 or 1, is about right.

I will definitely give this some MM love when I get the chance. I didn't even think of the scaling earlier. Thanks for bringing it up

• 4 weeks later...

Having a little problem here, hope someone can help. The sunflare in my scatterer folder does not render the same in game, it looks like a blob. For reference I'm using Galileo's sunflares from the folder labled "1." I've attached screenshots as well as my output log.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8vs1con77ilrwa/output_log.txt?dl=0

Sunflare in folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/maa3mj1xas9nm1r/sunFlare.png?dl=0

Sunflare in game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d832yksp5pzu2u0/ingame.jpg?dl=0

Using KSP 1.22 with the compatible version of the sunflare. If more information is needed, let me know and thanks in advance.

Edited by daawgees
KSP version

6 minutes ago, daawgees said:

Having a little problem here, hope someone can help. The sunflare in my scatterer folder does not render the same in game, it looks like a blob. For reference I'm using Galileo's sunflares from the folder labled "1." I've attached screenshots as well as my output log.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8vs1con77ilrwa/output_log.txt?dl=0

Sunflare in folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/maa3mj1xas9nm1r/sunFlare.png?dl=0

Sunflare in game: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d832yksp5pzu2u0/ingame.jpg?dl=0

Using KSP 1.22 with the compatible version of the sunflare. If more information is needed, let me know and thanks in advance.

are you using SVE?

Ok I assume you are just dropping your sunflare in the scatterer/Configs/Sunflare folder?

If so thats incorrect. Scatterers folders are basically disabled with SVE. You have to go into StockVisualEnhancements/SVE_Scatterer/Sunflare/Sun and put your sunflare texture there

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ok I assume you are just dropping your sunflare in the scatterer/Configs/Sunflare folder?

If so thats incorrect. Scatterers folders are basically disabled with SVE. You have to go into StockVisualEnhancements/SVE_Scatterer/Sunflare/Sun and put your sunflare texture there

That's what I get for becoming lazy and letting CKAN do the work for me. 

Should I get rid of the planet flares from scatterer as well?

On 5.05.2017 at 7:05 AM, danfarnsy said:

I've changed both numbers to 1 and I got the view below.

Also, there is a strange pattern on nearly vertical parts. I'm using 5k version on 1980x1200 screen - would going to 2k version help solving this issue?

Spoiler

CsWSCpA.jpg

However, when Kerbol is partially blocked, it looks like a sunny side egg:

Spoiler

VUBNCrr.jpg

How can I fix this one?

I've got SVE installed manually together with EVE and scatterer

Edited by Raphaello

1 minute ago, Raphaello said:

I've changed both numbers to 1 and I got the view below.

Also, there is a strange pattern on nearly vertical parts. I'm using 5k version on 1980x1200 screen - would going to 2k version help solving this issue?

Hide contents

CsWSCpA.jpg

However, when Kerbol is partially blocked, it looks like a sunny side egg:

Hide contents

VUBNCrr.jpg

How can I fix this one?

I've got SVE installed manually together with EVE and scatterer

the vertical issue, i dont know what you are talking about.

The other issue is a limitation of Scatterer and nothing can be done

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Removing the stuff from the scatterer folder really mucked things up, lol. So I removed all visual mods and manually and re-installed them by hand using your instructions. Got the sunflare/spikes right...though it's huge...not sure if it's intended or not.

However, Kerbin from Orbit on the sun side is a very light shade of orange. I think I need to start from scratch and wipe my gamedata folder. I'll report back later.

the sunflare config in SVE is tailored for the included textures you will need to change the last value in these:

flareSettings = 0.5,1,0.32
spikesSettings = 0.7,1,0.32

change them from 0.32 to 0.9 or 1

4 minutes ago, Raphaello said:

Here's the area zoomed in and the issue is highlighted

szDvGLJ.jpg

That is due to the high resolution. I can't fix that without adding a subtle blur to the texture. I don't have time to do it right now so try the 2k version.

That is due to the high resolution. I can't fix that without adding a subtle blur to the texture. I don't have time to do it right now so try the 2k version.

I think adding blur does not make a whole lot of sense as on higher resolutions the problem will not be visible and those textures are really supposed to be used with 4k monitors, I'd say. Your call, anyway.

I simply switched to 2k version and the artefact is now gone. Tanks a lot!

the sunflare config in SVE is tailored for the included textures you will need to change the last value in these:

flareSettings = 0.5,1,0.32
spikesSettings = 0.7,1,0.32

change them from 0.32 to 0.9 or 1

That did it.

I don't think I will rely on CKAN for visual mods, probably better if I do that myself. I haven't figured out that orange hue yet, but I think a fresh GameData install will fix it. Really appreciate your help, have a great weekend!

2 hours ago, daawgees said:

That did it.

I don't think I will rely on CKAN for visual mods, probably better if I do that myself. I haven't figured out that orange hue yet, but I think a fresh GameData install will fix it. Really appreciate your help, have a great weekend!

What orange hue? On the sides of Kerbin? That's a feature of Scatterer.

Edited by Galileo

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

What orange hue? On the sides of Kerbin? That's a feature of Scatterer.

Yes, I know, and it was like that before, on the terminator like it should. But after I started messing with it it seems to cover the entire surface that is facing Kerbol.

10 minutes ago, daawgees said:

Yes, I know, and it was like that before, on the terminator like it should. But after I started messing with it it seems to cover the entire surface that is facing Kerbol.

Are you using the experimental version of scatterer?

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

Are you using the experimental version of scatterer?

No, the one on Spacedock.

I'm beginning to think there may be a problem with the 'beta' that Steam is delivering so that I can continue to use 1.22. Earlier today I did a complete fresh install of KSP 1.22 and the first mod I installed was SVT. Kopernicus first, SVT next and then module manager. Loaded the game, same stock textures for terrain. Module manager did load it, but it didn't translate to the game.

Edited by daawgees
Additional content

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2016 at 9:26 AM, Diddly Feelerino said:

Let me first say, this mod is fantastic. Really makes the night sky beautiful.

However I have one issue - the actual glare shows some texture glitching; like I can see a distinct "block" or separation between the sunglare texture and the skybox in the background. Any ideas on fixing this? =/

See below for what I mean:

screenshot15.png

holy moses, just seen this mod, what sunflare is this one?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.