1.1.2 landing struts behaviour

After upgrading to 1.1+ , I see very frequent landing legs breakings. Some of them really weird - for example, minmus lander with mass around 14t lost his leg after kerbal hit it in EVA. It has 4 lt1 landing struts, and before 1.1 that was more than enough. How leg mechanics changed, and what payload is optimal for every leg type? 

The landing struts in this version are very very touchy... I had a kerbal just walk into one on the mun and it exploded throwing the kerbal far away from the ship... In this version it's better to land on the engines themselves than to use landing struts as the engines can take more impact than the struts. I mean if a kerbal just walking into a strut can make it explode and engines themselves can handle more than what is meant to be for landing then there's something wrong.

Changes to wheels and landing legs were the biggest programming problem for Squad in version 1.1, and they are still working on it. Any leg behavior you see now is going to be different in 1.1.3, so don't pay too much attention to how it is currently.

However, I did testing on all the landing legs to see what their optimal payload was, and I put the results in the wiki: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Landing_leg

Build lighter and go be going slower on landing are the watch words now. You also need to carefully evaluate the slope angle of the landing site or you will slide to your doom because of the way friction/traction interacts with landing legs and gears now.

2 hours ago, N_Danger said:

Build lighter and go be going slower on landing are the watch words now. You also need to carefully evaluate the slope angle of the landing site or you will slide to your doom because of the way friction/traction interacts with landing legs and gears now.

Thankfully slope is easy to manage on Minmus. Most of the biomes have the word "flats" in it. :P

2 hours ago, moogoob said:

Thankfully slope is easy to manage on Minmus. Most of the biomes have the word "flats" in it. :P

Yes Minmus is easy but I landed on a slope last week on Duna and went for a ride. I had the chutes still out so it did not end in disaster but it was a long slide.

1 hour ago, N_Danger said:

Yes Minmus is easy but I landed on a slope last week on Duna and went for a ride. I had the chutes still out so it did not end in disaster but it was a long slide.

I had a ship in a slide on the Mun.  I had a Kerbal EVA.  He dropped off the ship, did an EVA report, collected a sample and planted a flag and then used RCS to catch and board the still sliding ship and then we took off before the sliding stopped.  :)

4 hours ago, Invader Jim said:

I had a ship in a slide on the Mun.  I had a Kerbal EVA.  He dropped off the ship, did an EVA report, collected a sample and planted a flag and then used RCS to catch and board the still sliding ship and then we took off before the sliding stopped.  :)

Shouldn't that a be a part of the Kerbal Olympics ? :D

6 hours ago, Warzouz said:

On Duna, I blew a landing strut of a landed vehicle while walking in EVA near on of the strut. I wasn't happy to redo the landing...

I had the same thing happen yesterday. I had 3 other legs and the lander didn't tip so I was able to complete the mission but the expedition had to wait for a new lander to be delivered. 

It's strange how the landing legs that can support a multi-ton vehicle just blow up when you brush them with your sleeve. 

23 minutes ago, N_Danger said:

I had the same thing happen yesterday. I had 3 other legs and the lander didn't tip so I was able to complete the mission but the expedition had to wait for a new lander to be delivered. 

It's strange how the landing legs that can support a multi-ton vehicle just blow up when you brush them with your sleeve. 

Well, my landers are designed to be reusable SSTO, so blewing a leg means the lander won't be reusable.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this acceptable?

You can't fly planes anymore, you can't walk near your own ship? Are people around here just contempt with waiting for "bugfixes"  that in turn, induce more abhorrent behaviour elsewhere. In this thread not one person exhibited any negative emotion to something that used to work and now doesn't. "fixing the wheels" is a laugh...."rather land on your engines" ? Am I the only one reading comments like this one and not feeling disgusted? 

I understand the process of patching a game and user input/feedback, but don't introduce more problems and coin it as a new version number. Personally I am disappointed and slowly turning away from KSP. 

I love all the new implementations, the UI, among others, and respect the effort gone into actual problems , but exploding legs and non functional landing gear is not a trivial matter to me.

I fly planes just fine. If you can't fly a plane, then you have designed it wrong.

Yes, the landing legs are buggy now after the brand new physics engine for the game was introduced. They will be fixed shortly. There is no need to get bent about it. You can continue playing the previous version (which had plenty of bugs that have been fixed in the new version), or you can adapt to the new reality in the meantime until the leg bug gets fixed, or you can take a break from the game until then. Your choice.

7 hours ago, Velve666 said:

How is this acceptable?

You can't fly planes anymore, you can't walk near your own ship? Are people around here just contempt with waiting for "bugfixes"  that in turn, induce more abhorrent behaviour elsewhere. In this thread not one person exhibited any negative emotion to something that used to work and now doesn't. "fixing the wheels" is a laugh...."rather land on your engines" ? Am I the only one reading comments like this one and not feeling disgusted? 

I understand the process of patching a game and user input/feedback, but don't introduce more problems and coin it as a new version number. Personally I am disappointed and slowly turning away from KSP. 

I love all the new implementations, the UI, among others, and respect the effort gone into actual problems , but exploding legs and non functional landing gear is not a trivial matter to me.

This is why I have not dived back into ksp since the update.  I'm getting itchy and need my fix!!!  Please hurry!!!

3 hours ago, bewing said:

I fly planes just fine. If you can't fly a plane, then you have designed it wrong.

Yes, the landing legs are buggy now after the brand new physics engine for the game was introduced. They will be fixed shortly. There is no need to get bent about it. You can continue playing the previous version (which had plenty of bugs that have been fixed in the new version), or you can adapt to the new reality in the meantime until the leg bug gets fixed, or you can take a break from the game until then. Your choice.

I flew planes just fine too.

Don't come in here questioning my ability to do something I have been doing since pre v0.25. Perhaps I should rephrase, I can fly a plane in the new version, the problem is getting it off the runway. I wonder what it could be? I put wheels on, aligned them correctly. Oh gosh darn must be a silly little bug. Well luckily it only prevents me from using 50% of the game content.  Perhaps I misread that post v0.90, the game was half price.

The physics feel the same, the wheels however do not.  I am struggling to understand why people put up with the latest version? Instead of telling me to not get bent about it would you mind explaining the changes to you personally that warrant playing 1.1.2 over say 1.05 (Since this was originally what my post was about). 

I find that the older my bases are the more likely their struts explode, ESPECIALLY loading in or dropping out of time warp.

Some of my bases are over 700 hours of gameplay/ 18 kerbal years old. My MINMUS base suffered catastrophic destruction due to, what I believe, what a disagreement between struts, docking ports of various sizes, claws, wheels and hulls on the ground. This being my oldest base... well I was sad to see it go (some parts went 5 km up or more into the sky), although amusing, but I had just enough base left to evacuate my base crew to orbital station.

My oldest bases were/are ugly... or umm fugly, so the new problems with struts and my 19mil have encouraged me to build newer and better. Fortunately my more recent bases seem to suffer these struts problems far less. I look forward to seeing when they fix this problem, but for me, fixing the crashes (and forcing open -d3dll) has made gameplay way better. If sometimes I have to land on my engines so be it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.