Landing strut rotation axis

So I found this bug report on the tracker, but it's flagged as finished/duplicate. I can't for the life of me find an active ticket covering this problem though, and it's making it a royal pain to build base components as anything ugly but tower-stacks.

Looks like it's bug 7593. I've been anoyed by it as well. Seems in the current build (1.1.2) you can at least place them "normally" and then use the rotation and translation gizmos to get them where you want. I made a vertical-at-launch-but-lands horizontal mining base just yesterday and bumbled my way through getting the landing legs correct.

Looks like that one explicitly says that the rotation problem is a different issue not to be addressed in that ticket (Squelch response 18 days ago). Which is extremely frustrating since the previous bug got flagged as duplicate, when it apparently wasn't.

Edited by Jarin

That's not how I read it. @Arsonide seemed to be saying that the editor rotation axis is now intentionally supposed to align with the leg, because that is the direction that the collider needs to point. So it's not a "fixable" bug, period.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:28 PM, bewing said:

That's not how I read it. @Arsonide seemed to be saying that the editor rotation axis is now intentionally supposed to align with the leg, because that is the direction that the collider needs to point. So it's not a "fixable" bug, period.

If that's true, it's a garbage excuse. Awesome, the collider lines up with the suspension - if I can't actually place it on anything but the most primitive vertical stack, it's useless to me. Also, it's not apparently a problem for the LT-05, which somehow manages to have both the correct axis of rotation AND a working suspension.

I was being patient about this until I heard that 1.1 is "stable" now as of 1.1.3 and everybody is moving on to new features. If this is truly never going to get fixed, can Squad at least give us the option of downloading old versions somewhere? I would happily give up every pretty new pixel and feature in 1.1 if I could just go back to building my Mun base in peace.

You can get around this issue with the rotate tool in absolute mode, press F in the editor when a part is selected with the rotate tool.

The devs are aware of this issue but it is not fixable at this time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.