Star Wars Exoplanets

NASA has recently been comparing exoplanets to Star Wars planets, such as Kepler-452 b and Coruscant. But some I don't agree with, and there are not many comparisons. So, I decided to do some more! Some of these planets are from the Clone Wars and Rebels.

• HD 85512 b: Atollon, Jakku
  • TRAPPIST-1d: Umbara
  • Kepler-47c: Tatooine
  • Tau Ceti f: Hoth
  • Kepler-70 b: Mustafar
  • Kepler-138d: Shantipole
  • Kepler-69c: Malachor
  • KOI-2626.01: Naboo
  • KOI-433.02: Yavin
  • KOI-433.02 m: Yavin 4
  • Gliese 581 d: Ahch-To
  • Vega's Debris Disk: Alderaan
  • WD 1145+017b: Concord Dawn, Lola Sayu
  • PSO J318.5-22: Iego
  • PH2b: Endor (Planet)
  • PH2b m: Endor (Moon)
Edited by ProtoJeb21
More Planets

They're only doing this because of Star Wars day. May (the) 4th (be with you). If it would have been Star Trek day they would have done the same thing with Trek planets.

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

NASA has recently been comparing exoplanets to Star Wars planets, such as Kepler-452 b and Coruscant. But some I don't agree with, and there are not many comparisons. So, I decided to do some more! Some of these planets are from the Clone Wars and Rebels.

• HD 85512 b: Atollon, Jakku
  • TRAPPIST-1d: Umbara
  • Kepler-47c: Tatooine
  • Tau Ceti f: Hoth
  • Kepler-70 b: Mustafar
  • Kepler-138d: Shantipole
  • Kepler-69c: Malachor
  • KOI-2626.01: Naboo
  • KOI-433.02: Yavin
  • KOI-433.02 m: Yavin 4

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

They're only doing this because of Star Wars day. May (the) 4th (be with you). If it would have been Star Trek day they would have done the same thing with Trek planets.

Sorry, but I'm not a Star Trek fan. However, I shall assume that Kepler-10 b is a good real-life analogue to Vulcan...right?

30 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I've seen those vids before, very nice. I called KOI-2626.01 a Naboo analogue because both are terra planets smaller than Earth that DO NOT orbit another planetary body (like the moon of Endor). 

We know so little about the exoplanets I see absolutely no sense in this, apart from (for some reason) pandering to fans of a movie that has nothing to do with space or science.

Nonsense.

3 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

We know so little about the exoplanets I see absolutely no sense in this, apart from (for some reason) pandering to fans of a movie that has nothing to do with space or science.

Nonsense.

It's called "getting kids interested in NASA, space, and space science." Sounds like a good idea to me.

12 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Nonsense.

Star wars definitely inspired a lot of spaceflight enthusiasts, where do you think the name falcon came from?

I was unable to find a source that Falcon was named after Millennium Falcon. The citation on Wikipedia links to a Youtube video that doesn't mention Falcon.
It does contain a segment of Musk saying that Dragon was named after Puff, the Magic Dragon, preceded by Musk admitting that he was on drugs when coming up with names.

The word falcon is extensively used in every imaginable field where somebody wants to accentuate their product. Falcon 9 may have been named after Millennium Falcon or not, it doesn't matter. The origin of the name surely doesn't counter my argument that comparing barely known exoplanets to fictional planets containing extensive flora and fauna systems, weather patterns and specific moons is grossly misleading and nonsense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.