[1.1] Carreer start with FAR impossible? [solved]

I updated KSP to V1.1 and installed FAR, because I always used it in the past.
So now I started a new carrer and I have a big problem there:
I can't even get my first basic rocket safely back to the ground.
It's just a capsule with the starter SRB underneath, three small wings and two goo containers for science.
I reduced the SRBs power to get a 1.2 TWR on liftoff and have a nose chute attached at the only available attachment point.
I can get up to about 8k meters with this setup. My chute opens at 5000 m, but is not able to slow my vessel down in the slightest.
When it reaches 350 m/s in free fall, the chute burns up and I crash.

I did not play without FAR yet in 1.1, so I don't know whats with vanilla behavior.
But did someone else have this problems with FAR in 1.1?
Any tips on how to get that rocket back to the ground in one piece?

Edited by Cairol
solved

Don't fly straight up. The same thing happens without FAR if you fly a capsule + SRB straight up. The atmosphere is no longer thick enough to slow heavy objects falling straight down.

Instead fly in a ballistic trajectory. You'll pass through more atmosphere on the way down, which should slow you down enough to safely deploy your chute. Don't deploy your chute at 5000m, wait until you're closer to the ground and going slower than about 250m/s. 

I doubt that it's doable for the reason you listed. FAR atmosphere is still thinner. You'd need an appropriate chute mod (like RealChutes by StupidChris) if there are any updated for that version of FAR/KSP, it gives much more control over the chute's area/drag and opening characteristics.

@Moar Boosters Odd, I've never had problems with vertical retrieval below 8km, only when you start to get much higher. But I guess that probably partly depends on how much rocket he's trying to bring down in one piece.

Nevermind.

I installed the newest FAR version now and set a highter MIN altitude for the chute opening.
Didn't know you can do that in the right-click-menu of the chute. The normal GUI is limited to 5000m.
Now the chute had the desired braking effect, while not having any noticable effect before.
Not sure if it was a bugged FAR version (first version for 1.1) or if something else misbehaved.

I'm aware of the thinner amosphere of Kerbin from the changelog, but I have no feeling for it yet. So thanks for the advice.

Edited by Cairol

There were a few issues with FAR and 0 drag (which sounds like the problem you're having). It sounds like that's what you're running into if the chute doesn't slow you down at all and actually causes you to increase in speed.

If you're still having issues, try completely nuking the KSP directory (uninstall, then manually delete), and getting the latest FAR version.

"zero drag" actually describes well what I expierienced before updating FAR.
Now it works. But it's really noticable that the atmoshpere is thinner.

My starter rocket (nose chute, capsule, flea SRB) made the SRB explode upon landing, because I had still a speed of 8.6-ish.
But now I have those other chutes unlocked in career, so it's managable now.
Problem solved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.