Wanted: Smooth, pointy, curved 2.5m nosecone

This suggestion regards the rocket part revamp rumored to be planned or already started by @Porkjet for the next release. I'm surprisingly content with most of the parts as they are, but there's one in particular that I'd love to see improved.

When I run out of things to put on top of a 2.5m liquid booster, the Protective Rocket Nose Cone Mk7 is a natural choice. However, there are some unpleasant things about this model visually.

1. The bottom/outer edge has a flat section and a sharp corner
  2. The middle is a flat slope
  3. The front is a blunt curved spheroid

I don't know enough about aerodynamics to argue that any of these is wrong, per se, but they do make this part look less appealing than it could. The 1.25m range of parts has a much nicer looking nosecone combo, the NCS Adapter with a Small Nose Cone on top. Its sharp point, curved middle, and smooth flush end make it look sleek and fit nicely with the adjacent part, and it would be cool to have a similar option in the 2.5m profile. The ability to fill it with fuel would be nice but not essential.

zPxPtRP.png

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Edited by HebaruSan
typed "very" too many times

I tend to just go with the 1.25-2.5 fueled adapter, which shares a slope with... one of the aerodymanic nosecones that I'm blanking on the name of right now. It's not curved, but it does look a lot better than the default 2.5 nosecone, has fuel, and you have the option of having it be purely conical, or slanted inward towards the center stack if using it on a radial booster.

Edit: none of that contradicts the base suggestion that the simple 2.5m nosecone probably needs some updating.

Edited by Jarin

Lets start with the education bit, because that just makes this easier.  What you are referring to has a name, it is called a "parabolic nose cone" and that is essentially what you have pictured on the right up above.  Now, I agree the parts need a re-do visually to match the great stuff that PorkJet has been adding, but parabolic nose cones are not the only option used, and I think elliptical nose cones deserve some attention too.  It would be nice to keep a little variety, even though in KSP they probably make little difference.  Keep in mind the NCS adapter is already a PorkJet part, it's already had it's makeover so of course it looks good compared to the old parts.

I went to google some images of this and NASA actually had a nice little graphic for me to steal borrow:

volumenose.jpg

Source

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/volume.html

Edited by Alshain

34 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Excellent suggestion!   I'd love to be able to adorn my ship with something that didn't look like a cow's upside down teat. ( and still be aerodynamic )

You must live around some interesting cows. :P

1 hour ago, Jarin said:

I tend to just go with the 1.25-2.5 fueled adapter, which shares a slope with... one of the aerodymanic nosecones that I'm blanking on the name of right now. It's not curved, but it does look a lot better than the default 2.5 nosecone, has fuel, and you have the option of having it be purely conical, or slanted inward towards the center stack if using it on a radial booster.

Yes, I do that often as well. I quite like those parts and how they work together. And yet, there's the Mk7 cone, staring balefully at me from the parts sidebar, yearning to be placed.

47 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Lets start with the education bit, because that just makes this easier.  What you are referring to has a name, it is called a "parabolic nose cone" and that is essentially what you have pictured on the right up above.  Now, I agree the parts need a re-do visually to match the great stuff that PorkJet has been adding, but parabolic nose cones are not the only option used, and I think elliptical nose cones deserve some attention too.  It would be nice to keep a little variety, even though in KSP they probably make little difference.  Keep in mind the NCS adapter is already a PorkJet part, it's already had it's makeover so of course it looks good compared to the old parts.

Thanks for sharing! Indeed, I'm hoping that there's an opportunity to say, "I like what you did here, do it again!"

23 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Excellent suggestion!   I'd love to be able to adorn my ship with something that didn't look like a cow's upside down teat. ( and still be aerodynamic )

I never thought of that comparison before. Thank you, I guess? :confused:

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

Lets start with the education bit, because that just makes this easier.  What you are referring to has a name, it is called a "parabolic nose cone" and that is essentially what you have pictured on the right up above. 

Actually if he wants it pointy then what he wants is an ogive nose cone. Not a parabolic. That would be rounded at the tip; an ogive is pointy (unless you have a spherically rounded ogive).

Edited by Kerbart

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.