Do you think astronaut/cosmonaut need space suit (during launch phase)

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Well, I didn't say it was a good idea.

And that is not a good idea either. I have major concerns over hygiene.

Makes me wonder what kind of set up we have for cleaning current spacesuits in the first place if something happen inside the suit.

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

I also doubt that a skin suit can offer adequate MMOD protection.

I don't think skin suit is suitable for actual EVA operation either, but it sure would be helpful in an emergency and it is either EVA or die and you have no time to put on a cumbersome suit.

Edited by RainDreamer

1 hour ago, RainDreamer said:

Makes me wonder what kind of set up we have for cleaning current spacesuits in the first place if something happen inside the suit.

We don't clean anything on the ISS. Clothes are disposable. This includes EMU undergarments.

I don't think skin suit is suitable for actual EVA operation either, but it sure would be helpful in an emergency and it is either EVA or die and you have no time to put on a cumbersome suit.

Donning an EVA doesn't answer any existing contingency mode, at least on the ISS. If you have a depressurization event, you are supposed to evacuate to the module closest to a return vehicle and seal off the modume. Most depressurization contingency modes leave enough time to evacuate safely, unless of course you are facing some sort of catastrophic explosion or break-up, but then an EVA suit isn't going to help you.

Edited by Nibb31

1 minute ago, RainDreamer said:

I mean the hard EVA suits? Like what if an astronaut puke inside the helmet?

I guess they clean it up with a towel and some disinfectant...   best not think about it :wink: 

2 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

You don't need a spacesuit to survive a decompression event. A breathing mask is adequate for a brief exposure, and being incapacitated as a result is an acceptable outcome.

1 hour ago, RainDreamer said:

I mean the hard EVA suits? Like what if an astronaut puke inside the helmet?

They'll probably die. No need to clean the suit then.

16 hours ago, DDE said:

They'll probably die. No need to clean the suit then.

Well there was an astronaut that survived when the helmet was flooded with water while EVA, so I imagine this too may be possible. And I wonder if the content of someone's stomach can actually fill the helmet.

4 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

And I wonder if the content of someone's stomach can actually fill the helmet.

This would be a very capacious stomach, and very fool full kerbonaut doing EVA right after a rich feast.

Probably he should wash his helmet with the same towels with which he takes a bath.
Of course if no short circuit was there.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, RainDreamer said:

Well there was an astronaut that survived when the helmet was flooded with water while EVA, so I imagine this too may be possible. And I wonder if the content of someone's stomach can actually fill the helmet.

Yeah, but first the stuff is in one's mouth. I haven't seen any first-person accounts of zero-g puking, but I imagine it can get messy; and I remember how much all first aid guides bang on about preventing an unconscious person from choking on their puke. Combine that with being stuck in a helmet that you can't take off, and I see a potentially lethal situation.

I believe there have been plenty of occasions where astronauts have puked. About 20% of them experience "space-sickness" on their first orbital flights, so it's a pretty common condition. I think it's even mentioned in the Apollo 13 movie. 

However, it is not publicized because individual astronaut health is considered confidential. They usually have undisclosed communication channels to discuss health issues with medical teams so any talk about sickness or medical conditions doesn't leak out into the public channels.

20 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

I believe there have been plenty of occasions where astronauts have puked. About 20% of them experience "space-sickness" on their first orbital flights, so it's a pretty common condition. I think it's even mentioned in the Apollo 13 movie. 

Yeah, they surely have dedicated barf bags. But that's in IVA.

My first thought is - wouldn't you just kinda "project" the vomit downwards towards your chest, where hopefully it would cling/soak into your clothes. 

Also, you're a spaceman dammit just swallow it back down what are you up to being sick!

If you drive a motorbike, you put a helmet and should wear reinforced clothes.

If you fly a spacecraft, you should wear a pressurized flightsuit.

About the Soyuz launches, the Sokol IVA suit they wear weights 10-15 kilograms, is pretty much like wearing serious winter clothing, and could probably allow a short EVA, like an emergency crew transfer. In comparison, the Orlan EVA suit weights nearly 120 kilograms and is more like wearing a medieval knight full platemail, but provides all the required shielding and life support systems for more than 8 hours of EVA.

I think it would be pretty cool to have different spacesuits for different uses (and different prices/mass) in KSP. As an example, the default one "MaxAbsorb Garment" has an extremely powerful jetpack, that isn't always necessary. They could also provide different levels of protection against collisions or "lithobraking".

Edited by N_Molson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.