My 8 core CPU can't handle 64 bit ?

@Padishar @sal_vager Here , I've spent the last few minutes taking multiple screenshots of my CPU usage.
I've labelled them so that they correspond with the current in-game situation and each screenshot is Numbered in the order the events took place 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uq0e8cwjwzdvts2/AABMzRCXkDDo-ArE39KukAFga?dl=0

i dont know if this helps but I've noticed a massive difference in the SPH 

Also after sitting on the Launch pad for 5 minutes nothing really happened , it stayed around 20% 
As soon as i went back to the VAB it shot up to 85 % again strange ,
Now im really confused because I clearly made the CPU go to 90% while completely AFK while on the runway with a crappy craft 

Edit 2 : 
Attempted to run it on all setting on the lowest possible ( Apart from my native resolution) and texture quality on half resolution .
Same thing happened as usual :( 

Really considering playing 1.0.5 for the next few months because not being able to play is killing me XD 

My CPU is an AMD - FX-8350 , which is an 8 core CPU clocked at 4.0 Ghz

Add MOAR cores !!! Erm, Jeb, get out of my head !

Seriously, 60°C seems a bit hot to me. You might want to add a fan or two, or optimize the airflow inside the case.

If you're confident with computer assembly, I'd try to remove 1 of the 2 8GB RAM chips and run on 8GB. KSP (Unity in fact) can have a weird behaviour when there is a lot of free memory.

Edited by N_Molson

Just now, N_Molson said:

Add MOAR cores !!! Erm, Jeb, get out of my head !

Seriously, 60°C seems a bit hot to me.

If you're confident with computer assembly, I'd try to remove 1 of the 2 8GB RAM chips and run on 8GB. KSP (Unity in fact) can have a weird behaviour when there is a lot of free memory.

Yes , I've had to build this computer from the ground up just this week as I had my motherboard repaired (please note that these issues were always here in the 1.1 prerelease before my motherboard was repaired and before it even failed)

I can try that 

Not sure if it'll help with tracking down the issue, but I noticed some things:

Having crew enabled in VAB drove up the CPU usage.

There was a significant jump between and empty VAB (no crew) and adding a single command pod.

I'm no coder but my theory is the lighting setup is more complex in the VAB most likely to eliminate cast shadows.

The Runway issue could be from the new wheel code. I'm curious if it goes down after you take off.

I don't think it's a RAM thing, I have 8GB with the same issues.

40 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

There was a significant jump between and empty VAB (no crew) and adding a single command pod.

I'm no coder but my theory is the lighting setup is more complex in the VAB most likely to eliminate cast shadows.

The Runway issue could be from the new wheel code. I'm curious if it goes down after you take off.

When it gets laggy , it doesn't ever go back to smooth performance , whether its in flight , at the VAB or KSC or even the main menu , i have to restart

@Waxing_Kibbous what processor specs do you have ? 

6 hours ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

Here , I've spent the last few minutes taking multiple screenshots of my CPU usage.
I've labelled them so that they correspond with the current in-game situation and each screenshot is Numbered in the order the events took place 

Thanks, though I was really wanting to see the per-thread CPU usage displayed in the Properties dialog on the KSP process, and especially so if the usage goes high in any scenes other than the editors...

18 hours ago, N_Molson said:

LOL.

So first we cannot use more then 4gb because of unity 4. Now with Unity 5 we cannot use more then 8. So hows going to be Unity? This really makes me a huge LOL.

I have to ask, are the guys at Unity know anything about computers? (been sarcastic)

:sticktongue:

I have heard the limit was 16 gigs, not 8, at least for Linux but this may not be the case on Windows.

A bad memory stick is as likely a culprit as anything else at this point, but it cannot easily be ruled out, as while running with one can stop issues that were occurring this could also indicate a bad memory controller, it would be better to run memtest86+ for a while to see if there's any issues.

Look in to exactly what @Waxing_Kibbous? This isn't affecting many players, a cause has not been identified and it could easily be hardware.

Fact is that KSP uses a lot of CPU compared to other games, and the high CPU usage here may not even be related to the drop in frame rate.

Yeah, that's one of the reason why I suggesting removing 1 of the RAM chip. Already had a faulty RAM chip once, took me several months to track down the issue, it wasn't fun at all, computer was crashing in some specific situations (when a few specific physical memory blocks were used). So, as long as you handle the components with care (always touch something metallic in your place which is grounded, to get rid of any static you might accumulate by say, wearing a synthetic sweat-shirt *), there is little to lose, and that will rule out a potentially serious issue.

* Believe me, for some reason I'm a living accumulator. I can get quite impressive shocks that produce nice tiny but flashy blue-white arcs if the air is dry enough (cool, plasma !). It hurts. Sometimes, I fear to touch my car, an elevator, or anything obviously metallic and grounded ! Oh, and one day I sent nano-lighting bolt to my little sister by touching her hand. She was in her Harry Potter period and couldn't believe it. Real wizardry ! :0.0: Seriously, it makes me a potential Nemesis for any unprotected electronic circuitry, unless I think to "discharge" before. :confused:

Edited by N_Molson

4 minutes ago, N_Molson said:

Yeah, that's one of the reason why I suggesting removing 1 of the RAM chip. Already had a faulty RAM chip once, took me several months to track down the issue, it wasn't fun at all, computer was crashing in some specific situations (when a few specific physical memory blocks were used). So, as long as you handle the components with care (always touch something metallic in your place which is grounded, to get rid of any static you might accumulate by say, wearing a synthetic sweat-shirt *), there is little to lose, and that will rule out a potentially serious issue.

* Believe me, for some reason I'm a living accumulator. I can get quite impressive shocks that produce nice tiny but flashy blue-white arcs if the air is dry enough (cool, plasma !). It hurts. Sometimes, I fear to touch my car, an elevator, or anything obviously metallic and grounded ! Oh, and one day I sent nano-lighting bolt to my little sister by touching her hand. She was in her Harry Potter period and couldn't believe it. Real wizardry ! :0.0: Seriously, it makes me a potential Nemesis for any unprotected electronic circuitry, unless I think to "discharge" before. :confused:

And what if my ram is the issue ? Do i just stick with 8 gb ? 
I dont have time to test this now though 

done a memory diagnostic test , no problems ..

On 5/8/2016 at 1:53 AM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I don't know if i explained my issue correctly , My CPU usage goes up at a completely random time , every time.
when my CPU usage does go up to +80% , no matter what i do, it always stays at +80% and everything is super slow and laggy 

3 hours ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

I don't know if i explained my issue correctly , My CPU usage goes up at a completely random time , every time.
when my CPU usage does go up to +80% , no matter what i do, it always stays at +80% and everything is super slow and laggy 

Is there any chance you can do this bit when the problem happens?

On 5/8/2016 at 7:43 AM, Padishar said:

Thanks, though I was really wanting to see the per-thread CPU usage displayed in the Properties dialog on the KSP process, and especially so if the usage goes high in any scenes other than the editors...

On 5/10/2016 at 8:46 AM, Padishar said:

Is there any chance you can do this bit when the problem happens?

Sorry for the delay , here id all of the cores before and after it happens etc . https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zsqcc53484c4z1/AAD55b3AfKoGq_7lmRhuVzV_a?dl=0
All are numbered 1-7

Edited by ii_DyNaMiCs_ii

8 minutes ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

Sorry for the delay , here id all of the cores before and after it happens etc . https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0zsqcc53484c4z1/AAD55b3AfKoGq_7lmRhuVzV_a?dl=0
All are numbered 1-7

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I mean the Threads tab in the window that pops up when you right click on KSP in Process Explorer and select properties.  This shows the CPU usage of each thread in the process and may shed some light on what it is using so many threads for...

If temperature go high CPU enter in safe mode and for that you get slow performance and high cpu usage.

Like other suggestion try with only 8GB ram and check if cooling fan are running, some intensive test program probably can give the same issues you get with ksp.

• 8 months later...

The 90% on your cpu sounds like KSP is not using your gpu at all, I had this problem as well.

It was specfic to any 64 bit application I ran.

Im not really sure If I can help because:

1 - my gpu is a notebook variant

2 - my gpu is an nvidia

I ended up messing with 2 seperate values in my registry to force the dedicated gpu to be used instead of my intergrated one.

• 2 weeks later...

I use this all day everyday 64 bit Intel, Nvidia it utilizes memory more than CPU(I have no reason to believe AMD would have any issues),, I have PhysX dedicated to the video, and have built rockets with 1k plus parts.

have you temp probed your North bridge chip, As this is can be a heating symptom (no log reports this), [as components struggle to function especially as time goes by]. also I would test my HD  but this is much less likely yet possible.( assuming you have validated the files thru steam)if all that is fine, is anti virus running?

(I know you said all other things but many of them still have stuff running as system functions//windows defender)

Hope this helps

Jammer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.