My 8 core CPU can't handle 64 bit ?

Hi , Ill try my best to explain what is happening as best I can.

My CPU is an AMD - FX-8350 , which is an 8 core CPU clocked at 4.0 Ghz  (all specs below)

When i run KSP 1.1.2 in 64bit , it runs smoothly for about 5 minutes.
Then in my task manager KSP uses more and more CPU over time, untill it finally reaches over 90%.
When this happens, my framerate drops from the locked 60fps , to below 10.
and if i try to tab out while my CPU is being used so much everything else is extremely slow.

Things I have ruled out:
1.Updated all drivers
2.Fresh install with no mods and nothing from any previous install ( example : brand new save games etc)
3.CPU temperature: my CPU even on 100% load never goes above 60 degrees c
4.Not another program using CPU as in the task manager, Ksp is using over 85% alone
5.lowered all settings(even resolution) from what i would normally play on , to stupidly low settings
6. decreased max physics-delta frame per second to the lowest possible number

7. disabled things in the general settings tab such as: Show space centre crew, temperature gauges , thermal highlights

8 set max persistent debris to 0

9.disabled run simulation in background
10. Tested all day in 32 bit and KSP's CPU usage was never above 10%

11.Nothing is overclocked and nothing in my PC is failing or broken.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 

GPU: AMD HD 7770 Ghz edition

RAM: 16 gb ( 2  1x8 gb corsaire vengeance)

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

SSD : SAMSUNG 120 Gb

HDD: 500gb

Please help , i have submitted a bug report 28 Days ago , posted on Toms hardware , on a KSP facebook group , contacted KSP .
I have literally tried EVERYTHINGG!!!!

I dont know how to send my Log files and my DxDiag , i have them available just unsure how to on the forumsikScV

Hi @ii_DyNaMiCs_ii, this is a strange issue indeed, as KSP should be working just fine.

You can put your KSP.log, output_log.txt (KSP_Data folder), settings.cfg, and Dxdiag hardware report on a file share site such as dropbox.com

Your CPU should be more than powerful enough, but KSP is a CPU bound game, meaning it will stress the CPU more than the GPU.

KSP is also sensitive to where it is installed, and if you unzipped the store version it is best placed in a folder you create, not in Program Files or on the Desktop.

KSP also does not benefit much from SSD drives, if your HDD is drive C:\ it would be best to install KSP there.

6 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @ii_DyNaMiCs_ii, this is a strange issue indeed, as KSP should be working just fine.

You can put your KSP.log, output_log.txt (KSP_Data folder), settings.cfg, and Dxdiag hardware report on a file share site such as dropbox.com

Your CPU should be more than powerful enough, but KSP is a CPU bound game, meaning it will stress the CPU more than the GPU.

KSP is also sensitive to where it is installed, and if you unzipped the store version it is best placed in a folder you create, not in Program Files or on the Desktop.

KSP also does not benefit much from SSD drives, if your HDD is drive C:\ it would be best to install KSP there.

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you think its the game that is not optimised or am I doing something wrong ? 

I am using the steam version and play it from the standard steam folders 

Like I mentioned it should be working fine, so we have to figure out what's going on here.

As you're using Steam it'd be worth trying the KSP executables directly, you can access them via Steam by right clicking the game in the client, opening Properties, then Local Files. Browse Local Files.

The Steam overlay can cause issues, so it's worth trying directly to rule it out.

Just now, sal_vager said:

Like I mentioned it should be working fine, so we have to figure out what's going on here.

As you're using Steam it'd be worth trying the KSP executables directly, you can access them via Steam by right clicking the game in the client, opening Properties, then Local Files. Browse Local Files.

The Steam overlay can cause issues, so it's worth trying directly to rule it out.

Thanks ,  I'll try that :)

And I'll disable the steam overlay for when I play on steam 

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi , I tried running the game without steam and it made no difference, It was running fine for the first 5 minutes (as usual) then all of a sudden my FPS went to 30 and was constantly dropping and jumping up and down (aka stuttering) 

Not sure what else to try 

Thanks for trying to help me

But under what conditions was KSP dropping the framerate? FPS is not really a good measure of performance in a game like KSP, a good explanation of this can be found here.

Performance will be greatly affected by the craft, I think we will need to see the vessels you are using when you experience  this drop.

It seems to happen under any conditions , It happened multiple times in the VAB/SPH and multiple times during a flight .
It has happened with a variety of different crafts, some of these crafts were less than 30 parts , some where +100 .
Even if  I open the game and go AFK it still happens.

The best way i can describe the performance issues is of course the FPS drops , but also the physics/time seems to slow down then speed up.
So basically the real time physics is getting massive Delays and then attemps to catch up, This makes it look as though the time is slowing down then returning to normal multiple times per second.

Sorry to bug you but look at this link of some screenshots I took , the first one shows the CPU instantly rising out of nowhere. This exact case happened during a flight with a small aircraft (not sure how many parts as i reinstalled a numerous amount of times) 

http://imgur.com/a/ikScV

5 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Can you  be more specific on this? I actually do run it from the extracted folder on my desktop with no problems in general, is this less than optimal? If I create a folder on the desktop, drop KSP into that, is that cool?

Hey Dynamics, I can't imagine why KSP won't run on your system, I have the AMD 6 core version with the same Gcard fitted (HD 7770) and only 8Gb ram and mine runs fine (well except the odd crash now and again due to the ton of mods I have installed), but otherwise no problems. I must say I never run my games thru steam (found no use of steam in the background as of yet and if my mates wanna say "hi" then can damn well call me ;-)) 

1 tip I have for you (as I found it caused problems with other games) turn off Easy Tune if you have it running, see if that is the problem (altho I didn't hurt KSP on my rig, but totally screwed up World of Warships) 

I would clear out a bunch of those processes that are running in the background tho they may not be helping the situation (anything steam, curse, origin) they will clog up your system.

10 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Can you  be more specific on this? I actually do run it from the extracted folder on my desktop with no problems in general, is this less than optimal? If I create a folder on the desktop, drop KSP into that, is that cool?

Well, Windows will often prevent programs that are run on the desktop, from Program Files and from many other Windows folders from writing or changing files, such as the settings.cfg, instead they end up in a hidden folder in application data if they are written at all.

So it's best to install KSP to a non-Windows folder you make yourself such as C:\Games and create a shortcut to it on the desktop.

8 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Doesn't look wrong, except for having Steam games on the A:\ drive, do you have a C:\ drive?

I just skimmed his logs.. What about

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
Skipped frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 1422)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost
  HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
FullResetD3DDevice
ResetD3DDevice
dev->Reset
D3Dwindow device not lost anymore
deleting part winglet3

That doesn't sound right and I don't have that issue in my logs (and I am running fine)

Edit: @ii_DyNaMiCs_ii after googeling a bit I came accros this and there they said to try to run the game with the parameter "-force-gfx-st"

Edited by Leeman

Heh, missed that, I looked for exceptions and checked the dxdiag, but that usually indicates that KSP was minimized during loading and lost control of the graphics card, -force-gfx-st won't fix that, and that's a deprecated Unity4 command anyway.

Try using alt+enter instead of alt+tab to go to windowed mode, instead of minimizing.

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Doesn't look wrong, except for having Steam games on the A:\ drive, do you have a C:\ drive?

My A:\ drive is my SSD which is has my Operating system on . I just installed it onto my C:\ drive which is a Harddrive used for just storage . I will test it now and let you know

Ok , so I ran it from the C:\ Drive , i didn't use steam to open it .

What i  done was , loaded a craft in the SPH , clicked launch , Applied the brakes on the craft and went AFK for 10 minutes.
I came back and my CPU was at 90% again .
haha I've no idea what to try.

Also , i used alt+ enter when tabbing out , just incase it did actually cause the issue .

also this was the craft I was using , https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6un75kik7vb344/The%20CPU%20Destroyer.craft?dl=0

Creative name , I know :wink: 

53 minutes ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

I have to ask , Does KSP even have the capability to use 8 cores ? 

I don't know if it can use 8, but it can use most of 4; during the pre-release Betas, when I was in the VAB, I was routinely seeing 300%+ usage of my CPU (5 year old Mac with a 4-core i7). On a Mac, that indicates it was maxing out 3 of the 4 cores and part of the 4th.

Edited by LameLefty

3 hours ago, LameLefty said:

I don't know if it can use 8, but it can use most of 4; during the pre-release Betas, when I was in the VAB, I was routinely seeing 300%+ usage of my CPU (5 year old Mac with a 4-core i7). On a Mac, that indicates it was maxing out 3 of the 4 cores and part of the 4th.

You should add your findings to this, IMO that CPU usage is way too high: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7570

5 hours ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

I can't see any reason why it should in the situations you describe.  There is a, not totally understandable, higher CPU usage in the VAB (up to between 3 and 4 full cores worth), but, sat on the runway with no other vessels within physics range, it certainly shouldn't be using much more than 1.

Can you try the Process Explorer test described in this post:

...and post the screenshot.  Preferably, do two shots, one while the usage is "normal" and one after it has increased...?

Edited by Padishar

4 hours ago, ii_DyNaMiCs_ii said:

It'll use however many cores the Unity3D engine and PhysX3 will use, multithreading is handled by the engine, not by the developer.

As a 4 core user myself I am unable to test if KSP will use more cores.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.