[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

12 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

hmm then how would it integrate with commnet?

Answer is in same part of text you have quoted. When prepared RT version based on code is released so players does not have to wait for a long time to update. And after that decent amount of time until code based on stock CommNet is ready to be published. At least you will have working RT until then to keep you occupied while waiting.

well, when i asked the question, i meant how would it interfere with commnet in the meaning that would it add sort of enforcement for people to use it? would it disable any section of commnet for time being or it would just be there side by side commnet so that people can start their network until later update come?

Hi guys,

RemoteTech 1.8.0 for KSP 1.2 released :)

First, I'd like to thank @tomek.piotrowski for his help on maintaining RT!

Complete changelog is below (include future plans and a warning):

Spoiler

What's New?
===========

* Ported the RemoteTech code base to KSP 1.2. [#678]
* Updated ModuleManager to the lastest 2.7.1 version (Nyan Cat ftw!).
* Prevent parsing objects that have no chance (Asteroid, Unknown objects and flags) of being RT controlled.
* Add and option to enable / disable CommNet alongside RemoteTech.
* Moved all RT antennas to the new Communication category in VAB / SPH.
* Added RemoteTech RLA config file. [#469]
* Antenna info in VAB /SPH indicate "range" or "power" depending on the chosen RangeModel ("range" is technically wrong when in Root model). [#471]
* Fixed an issue when the "RTAntennaTarget" field was empty in a save file. [#506]
* Exception bubbling up from KSP or other mods are now caught in RT when staging. [#525]
* Flight Computer window is now closed when switching to another vessel or leaving the flight scene.[#578]
* Added a new API to change the range of ground stations. [#589]
* Antenna range multiplier option slider is no longer snapped to 0 or 1. [#594]
* Antenna range multiplier has now a maximum value of 5 (previously 2).
* "World Scale" option sliders are now using 2 decimal places instead of 6. [#601]
* Added a new option slider: range multiplier for ground stations / mission control. [#602]
* Fixed a NRE spamming issue while transmitting science. [#613]
* Fixed various issues with the connection indicator and various UI scales. [#618 & #668]
* Kerbals can now transfer themselves even if there's no connection and they are not in a command module (this also bypass any signal delay). [#626]
* Fixed an issue when a craft with an uncrewed ModuleCommand but with a ModuleSPU was deemed non controllable. [#628]
* Flight Computer can be switched to "Off" instead of "KillRot" after maneuver execution or abort (configurable through settings file). [#631]
* Added a new "LeadTime" field (in settings file) to control how much time attitude control is queued ahead of the maneuver (default 3 minutes like the previous hardcoded value). [#631]
* Command Stations can now control themselves (if properly crewed and with the right SPU module) even if there's no one in a command module. [#633]
* Fixed various problems with the github readme and the user manual. [#669, #670, #680]
* Added current vessel name to flight computer (when UI is deployed). [#673]

Detailed Changelog
==================

Fixed Issues
------------

* Issue #469: Updated RLA config. Work made by kitoma [requested by: marosciacchitano]
* Issue #471: Handling GetInfo()'s "range" display when in rangemodel Root [reported by: NathanKell]
* Issue #506: Blank RTAntennaTarget, Exception stopping the registrations. [reported by: OzoneGrif]
* Issue #525: Missing parts in staging cause NRE spam, lock staging. [reported by: NathanKell]
* Issue #578: Flight Computer doesn't close when going back to Space center view. [requested by: d4arksha4de & petersohn (in #673)]
* Issue #589: API - Changing range of GroundStations [requested by: AlphaAsh]
* Issue #594: MultipleAntennaMultiplier is snapped to 0 or 1. [reported by: WazWaz]
* Issue #601: World Scale sliders under options are too granular. [reported by: gnivler]
* Issue #602: Mission Control not affected by Range Multiplier option. [requested by: gnivler]
* Issue #613: NRE Spamming when transmitting science (RT + other mods) [reported by: lamont-granquist]
* Issue #618: The connection indicator does not scale properly. [reported by: tomekpiotrowski]
* Issue #626: "Transfer crew" button in context popup menu should be always available. [reported by: mscg82]
* Issue #628: ModuleSPU on a crewed-command part with no crew = no control [reported by: NathanKell]
* Issue #633: Command Station has no local control. [reported by: FancyMouse]
* Issue #668: UI Scale Not Configurable. [reported by: evan2645]
* Issue #669: Player's Guide contains dead link to Advanced Settings [reported by: HupfderFloh; PR #670 by ahmedcharles]
* Issue #673: Add vessel name to flight computer. [requested by: krenshala]

Pull Requests
-------------

* PR #631: Various FlightComputer improvements [PR by: gnivler]
* PR #670: Fix issue #669 (broken links on user manual) [PR by: ahmedcharles]
* PR #678: Port RT base code to KSP 1.2 [PR by: neitsa]
* PR #680: Various Readme.md updates [PR by: keyspace]

Future
======

Bug fix releases (1.8.x) will be released if there are any show stopper / critical bugs.

Issues are still welcome!

Next Major Release
------------------

Dubbed RT-NG (RT v2.x)

* RT will be built on top of CommNet for the next major release.
* Currently implemented features will stay as is (probably with some tweaks) unless we receive different feedbacks from the community.

Planned features
----------------

* RT will be split into multiple components, so players can choose what they want:
    - RT-Antennas       [Antenna pack: models + configs only; No code]
    - RT-FlightComputer [Flight computer only]
    - RT-Delay          [Delay feature only]

New module:

* RT-Viz  [Antennas range visualization, satellite groups, sorting, etc.]
* FC overhaul
* Antenna overhaul
* Other stuffs :)

Warning
=======

* CommNet is disabled by default if RemoteTech is enabled.
    - CommNet can still be enabled alongside RemoteTech in the RT option window but this has not been tested.
* If you enable CommNet, consider using 2 types of satellites:
    - Satellites with only RT antennas.
    - Satellites with only CommNet antennas.
    - Do not try to mix both: we won't fix these problems with *this* version of RemoteTech.

There are still some known issues, the most bothering one being that UI Action group buttons (Light, Gears, Abort, etc.) are locked (but shortcut keys work tough). This was already a problem in the previous releases since KSP 1.1. This will be patched for the next release, because it requires some profound changes to the code and the next release will allow us to do that.

If you find any bugs, please report them on our github (as it is hard to keep track of bugs here). Feedback is also welcome for the next release, here or on this github post.

Fly safe o/ :D

Edited by neitsa
typos

"Added a new API to change the range of ground stations. "

I hope this won't change the way we add stations to the ground in configs?

" Added a new option slider: range multiplier for ground stations / mission control. "

correct me if i am wrong, so in case of root mode for a balanced connection both connection range multiplier and this new one should be set to 0.5?

by the way, thanks for the release sir

40 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

"Added a new API to change the range of ground stations. "

I hope this won't change the way we add stations to the ground in configs?

Nope, not at all, still the same.

40 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

" Added a new option slider: range multiplier for ground stations / mission control. "

correct me if i am wrong, so in case of root mode for a balanced connection both connection range multiplier and this new one should be set to 0.5?

Technically, the slider is a multiplier applied to the right Omni level in the config file. So if we take the default Ground station:

STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc488
            Name = Mission Control
            Latitude = -0.131331503391266
            Longitude = -74.594841003418
            Height = 75
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 0.996078,0,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    UpgradeableOmni = 4E+06;3.0E+07;7.5E+07 
                    Dish = 0
                    CosAngle = 1
                }
            }
        }

If the station is at Level 3 you have a 7.5E+07 range (75000000). The ground station multiplier is then applied to this number (note that it defaults to 1, which sets this setting exactly as it was before). e.g. if you have set this slider to 1.5, you now have a range set to 112500000 (instead of 75000000) and all subsequent calculations are then using this new number.

Simply put, if you want to keep the old behavior in Root range model type: keep the Group station range multiplier at 1 and set the range multiplier (antenna range multiplier that doesn't affect the Mission control range) to 0.5.

I hope that answer your question @Jiraiyah.

Edited by neitsa
add precisions

Quick question:

I'm guessing this version is not back-compatible with KSP 1.1.2.  Is that correct?

If that's the case, how would one go about backporting this--

4 hours ago, neitsa said:

---to the 1.1.2 version of RT?  Most of my comsats have 4 omnis for mass distribution reasons, and I'd like to get some kind of signal benefit from that without quadrupling the range of them.

2 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

I'm guessing this version is not back-compatible with KSP 1.1.2.  Is that correct?

Yes, totally not compatible with previous versions.

2 hours ago, SilverlightPony said:

If that's the case, how would one go about backporting this--

6 hours ago, neitsa said:

---to the 1.1.2 version of RT?  Most of my comsats have 4 omnis for mass distribution reasons, and I'd like to get some kind of signal benefit from that without quadrupling the range of them.

Fortunately with Git this would not be very complicated to get back to the code in the state it was for the 1.1.2 release and make an hot fix at that point in time, but I don't have the game DLLs for the 1.1.2 version (I'm still keeping 1.1.3 alongside 1.2, but not older versions). Without those game DLLs I can't build the plugin :(. (Also I don't have the precise Unity version that was used for 1.1.2 anymore in case I wanted to debug it).

So theoretically possible to get back to the code as it was for 1.1.2 but I don't have the stuffs that would allow me to compile the plugin... I'm sorry @SilverlightPony.

That makes me think that it would be a good idea to keep at least the 3 previous versions before the current release, rather than just 1 as I'm doing right now...

Edited by neitsa
damn typos

5 minutes ago, neitsa said:

Fortunately with Git this would not be very complicated to get back to the code in the state it was for the 1.1.2 release and make an hot fix at that point in time, but I don't have the game DLLs for the 1.1.2 version (I'm still keeping 1.1.3 alongside 1.2, but not older versions). Without those game DLLs I can't build the plugin :(. (Also I don't have the precise Unity version that was used for 1.1.2 anymore in case I wanted to debug it).

So theoretically possible to get back to the code as it was for 1.1.2 but I don't have the stuffs that would allow me to compile the plugin... I'm sorry @SilverlightPony.

That makes me think that it would be a good idea to keep at least the 3 previous versions before the current release, rather than just 1 as I'm doing right now...

Would the files you need be in the 1.1.2 game download?  'Cause I have the original .ZIP file straight from the KSP site saved.

(I also have the .ZIP for 1.1.3, if you want it.)

Edited by SilverlightPony

No problem @SilverlightPony. Technically (and if I recall correctly) I need these 5 files located in "KSP_x64_Data\Managed"  folder:

• Assembly-CSharp.dll
  • Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
  • UnityEngine.dll
  • UnityEngine.UI.dll
  • KSPUtil.dll 

Could you make a password protected file zip archive and give me the pass in a private message? I think that would prevent any problems with Squad game files freely available on the net. (Note: I already have the game in its 1.1.3 release state, not 1.1.2 though).

20 minutes ago, neitsa said:

No problem @SilverlightPony. Technically (and if I recall correctly) I need these 5 files located in "KSP_x64_Data\Managed"  folder:

• Assembly-CSharp.dll
  • Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll
  • UnityEngine.dll
  • UnityEngine.UI.dll
  • KSPUtil.dll 

Could you make a password protected file zip archive and give me the pass in a private message? I think that would prevent any problems with Squad game files freely available on the net. (Note: I already have the game in its 1.1.3 release state, not 1.1.2 though).

Done and done.

Is the RT flight computer in this new 1.2 release capable of throttling up (for executing a manuever node) when the signal is lost and you have the checkbox in this picture turned on;

4f80bcf4-933a-11e6-9cbc-97c8e466fbe0.png

(Obviously I mean when you've issued the command  while you still had a signal, but the burn is timed to go off later, after you expect to lose signal.)

We're having trouble with this in kOS because it seems as if the stock game's lockout is affecting even our autopilot, not just the manual user.  The autopilot moves the throttle to max, you can see it happening in the navball, but the engine refuses to actually do anything in reaction to it.

Edit: Or are you expected to use RT 1.2 by simply setting stock comms to be fully permissive in every way, and thus only RT's rules are in effect and the stock game "thinks" its in easy mode with no comm effects?

Edited by Steven Mading

I simply cannot launch anything that has now got a RT omni range antenna. They all snap on launch even when shrouded. :'( It says they were ripped off which sucks super hard because all my probe cores from compatible mods are just being ripped off in less than 1k up from the pad. I got one thing into orbit remotely but only after realising the particular probe core I was using was using neither the vanilla system nor the RT system and was just straight up cheating the flight and I had complete control everywhere even if there was no ground station in range. Uninstalling for now.

Also many of the vanilla antennas have no part module and I found that when I tried to make a patch for them they all worked as RT antennas but adopted the fragility issue too.

Is this a bug or am I expected to fly every mission with an engineer and a KIS pocket full of replacements for every time I have to enter and leave an atmosphere?

I haven't used this mod for a couple of versions but it has never behaved like this before.

I'm using the 1.2 version.

Edit : I also would like to point out I was launching with a TWR of 1.35 so I know I wasn't ripping it too hard off the pad. The thumpers weren't even half empty and I was moving at way under 200 m/s at the 1k mark.

Edited by ThatHomelessGuy
forgot to mention my ksp ver

Sorry, but 1.8 is just awful and needs a major rework. FC can't hold any direction at all. Even setting p=90, d=0, r=0 (that's how rocket stands on the pad by default) and pressing space will send the rocket tumbling almost immediately, regardless of twr.

Hey, seem to be getting a massive amount of NRE spam when a manoeuvre tweak-able is open:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RemoteTech.UI.ManeuverNodeOverlay.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) System.Action:invoke_void__this__ ()
  at RemoteTech.RTCore.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zkwqjjuzp4nfnr/output_log_RT.txt?dl=0

@Steven Mading : CommNet is completely ignored from RT perspective.

@ThatHomelessGuy, @jrandom: Workaround here for antennas: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/684 ; Didn't see this behavior with the FC, will try to repro.

@Torih Will check ASAP.

Oh and BTW, do not forget I'm completely alone as of now in handling RT code. The mod is quite big in terms of code and complexity. If you want to participate with me on coding I'd be very happy. (note: I'm not against people bringing new ideas but what we need the most now is coders! Squashing issues, Q&A, testing, implementing new features, etc.) I'd also be very happy to help setup various things (debugging, etc.) and explain parts of the code to new comers. This is a long term project but occasional help is also welcome and appreciated.

Edited by neitsa

1 hour ago, neitsa said:

Squashing issues

Been there done that bought a t-shirt. https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/643 - the fix was simplistic and most probably incomplete (not a coder), but it helped and could be considered a temporary workaround. Neither proposed patch, nor a proper solution from one of the KOS contributors was implemented, the issue is still there. Anyway, what, RemoteTechnologiesGroup was dissolved or something? What happened?

Edit: on the other hand, the "active vessel-only dishes for ground stations" actually was implemented, and in a much better form than proposed, it seems. So, go figure.

Edited by J.Random

53 minutes ago, neitsa said:

Oh and BTW, do not forget I'm completely alone as of now in handling RT code. The mod is quite big in terms of code and complexity. If you want to participate with me on coding I'd be very happy. (note: I'm not against people bringing new ideas but what we need the most now is coders! Squashing issues, Q&A, testing, implementing new features, etc.) I'd also be very happy to help setup various things (debugging, etc.) and explain parts of the code to new comers. This is a long term project but occasional help is also welcome and appreciated.

It would be terrible if this RT project, one of my favourite mods, goes dead without taking advantage of KSP 1.2's new communication network. 

neitsa, I will assist you on coding. However, I need to start learn on GitHub, Unity editor and KSP modding because I am relatively a new computer graduate, entering the industrial workforce only few months ago. I will let you know when I am sufficiently familiar with the RT codes and GitHub interfaces.

Edited by TaxiService

@Torih : fixed here (doesn't include patch for antennas problem though): https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/releases/tag/RemoteTech-1.8.0-3-develop

@J.Random : Nop, everyone was simply busy with their lives and other things. There was a call to ask if people wanted to maintain the project but it seems it didn't get many answers (and I'm just part of the project since a month now). I think your issue probably felt when the project was already in a hiatus... NathanKell proposed his help recently to get things forward, so I hope for the best! I'll check your issue, it seems good.

@TaxiService : Thanks :) Yep, just let me know.