[1.1.x] MK3 Space Shuttle IVA

Jeast

I have been working on this for quite a while (with periods of up and downs due to real life matters being in the way) and its closing in to a point where its going to be releasable for testing (we are talking days here).

As this cockpit is going to be pretty complex, I would like to have people testing this and supplying me with feedback.

Features:

• Custom RPM props (MFD's, HUD, Gearpanel, RCS panel) to mimick the Shuttle counterparts as close as possible
  • Cargobay windows view to control the Canadarm from the IVA

I will use this topic to upload the testable IVA soon, keep track of feedback and post updates.

Test version:

v0.1

Features:

• Front dashboard (textures 70% done)
  • Pedestal (textures 50% done)
  • Working MFD's (model + textures done, MFD pages 30% done)
  • Working HUD (textures done, horizon height = w.i.p.)

Download link:
https://github.com/Jeast85/Space-Shuttle-IVA/releases

Edited by Jeast

I have bad news and good news. Bad news is that the IVA's performance was not very great due to too high polycount. So I have disambled everything and I'm optimizing/baking and replacing everything part by part. So its going to take a little bit longer to complete.

The good news is that I have split the IVA up in parts so I can do pre-releases in separate parts. The frontpanel and pedestal are almost done. I will finish those (retexture and create RPM props) and release them for testing while I continue on the other parts.

On 5/13/2016 at 4:36 PM, BolleT said:

will you have an iva for the middeck?

That is actually a great idea. I will see whats possible when the cockpit itself is done.

On 15.05.2016 at 11:54 AM, Jeast said:

I have bad news and good news. Bad news is that the IVA's performance was not very great due to too high polycount. So I have disambled everything and I'm optimizing/baking and replacing everything part by part. So its going to take a little bit longer to complete.

The good news is that I have split the IVA up in parts so I can do pre-releases in separate parts. The frontpanel and pedestal are almost done. I will finish those (retexture and create RPM props) and release them for testing while I continue on the other parts.

That is actually a great idea. I will see whats possible when the cockpit itself is done.

As for the bad news, you have experienced it in the KSP ??? Just a lot of polygons is not particularly affect the performance of the game.

9 hours ago, DECQ said:

As for the bad news, you have experienced it in the KSP ??? Just a lot of polygons is not particularly affect the performance of the game.

I'm not sure where I read this but I think it was @NathanKell who said that the polygon count doesn't affect performance much. There was something else that does though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have uploaded the first test version.

The front dashboard and pedestal are almost done. Same for the HUD and MFD's which are working.

If you want to give it a try, please let me know if you have any feedback, bugs and suggestions.

Beware, its a very early version! The instruments (MFD's and HUD) are working well enough to be able to do a complete IVA mission.
Textures are not compressed to DDS yet, this I will do when done texturing. beware: large file size and very unoptimized.

The cockpit comes in the stock MK3 cockpit at this time. You can find a copy (named MK3 + IVA) in your parts list.

Download link:
https://github.com/Jeast85/Space-Shuttle-IVA/releases

Again: Feedack is very much appreciated.

On 5/17/2016 at 0:56 PM, DECQ said:

You are right. Its textures. I was using too many 4k textures. I tried reducing them a bit together with reducing polies (which is not doing a lot it seems indeed) and its a bit better.

Updated to v0.15

• Added SAS buttons
  • Upped textures resolution
  • Textures converted to DDS (way better performance)

Download: https://github.com/Jeast85/Space-Shuttle-IVA/releases/tag/v0.15

I created a fun little video showing a complete mission, from launch to landing, in the IVA. The landing was tricky without joystick and with a test model lined up on the runway.

Edited by Jeast

• 2 months later...

I have been quiet for a while. The reason is not a good one. While updating my PC to windows 10 (clean install), my backup external drive with both of my mods (canadarm and IVA) died. I lost alll my files.

At this point I really don't have a clue what to do, maybe I can convert my mods in a way so I can import them in Blender or.. I don't know.

4 minutes ago, Jeast said:

I have been quiet for a while. The reason is not a good one. While updating my PC to windows 10 (clean install), my backup external drive with both of my mods (canadarm and IVA) died. I lost alll my files.

At this point I really don't have a clue what to do, maybe I can convert my mods in a way so I can import them in Blender or.. I don't know.

man, that sucks. You can definitely salvage the Canadarm with the .mu importer plugin for Blender. If you export the IVA as a .mu too (a actually don't know...never made one) then you can import that too :) 

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2016 at 10:30 AM, MrMeeb said:

man, that sucks. You can definitely salvage the Canadarm with the .mu importer plugin for Blender. If you export the IVA as a .mu too (a actually don't know...never made one) then you can import that too :) 

or There are also people that might be willing to jump in an assist you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.