IRVEES - Imaging and Radial Velocity Exoplanet/Exomoon Search

Do You Want to Join IRVEES?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. One Answer Per User, Please

• Yes, Definitely, Absolutely!
    • Possibly...

IRVEES UPDATE:

I finally have a set date for more IRVEES observations! It is on July 12th, 2016, to either detect the transit of CoRoT-2b or find planets around AC 54 1646-56. There's a slight chance of IRVEES observations on July 19th and 26th.

@Mr. Quark I should be getting the data from HAT-P-22 pretty soon for you to analyse as practice.

5 hours ago, Mr. Quark said:

AIJ Is hard to use, the tutorial thing wasn't helpful sadly :( The version the tutorial uses is outdated.

I'm actually in the same boat as you. I just got AIJ and it isn't easy.

IRVEES UPDATE: Things in the IRVEES program have seriously changed.

For starters, there will be NO MORE DATA COLLECTION until late summer or early fall. The reason is for me to get more experience with the telescope via other projects, like asteroid detection and deep-sky imaging. Depending on how quickly I get used to the telescope equipment, IRVEES observations will resume earlier or later than expected.

Next is that I've joined PLANET HUNTERS! I'm still known as ProtoJeb21 on Zooniverse, and I have found a few interesting potential planets. They will be in a new section in the IRVEES Exoplanets thread.

I will also continue the TEMS project. However, until IRVEES observations resume, I will be carrying it out in Planet Hunters. Wish me luck!

Looks interesting. So until Fall, this project is cancelled or is it just the data collection and not the data analysing part?

Also. Wait the US has an observation centre for free. Wow! Here there isn't even one observation centre at all

Edited by adamgerd

7 hours ago, adamgerd said:

Looks interesting. So until Fall, this project is cancelled or is it just the data collection and not the data analysing part?

Also. Wait the US has an observation centre for free. Wow! Here there isn't even one observation centre at all

IRVEES isn't exactly cancelled. If I said there were no more observations ever, then it would be cancelled. This is just a hiatus for me (and possibly some other members) to get more experience for when observations and data collection returns. In the meantime, I'm in the Planet Hunters project.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found an exoplanet wit Planet Hunters! This transit repeats every 12.2 days and has nearly the exact same depth every time - differing by only 0.0001 the brightness of its host star KIC 7848638. While the transit depth is pretty pinned down, the size is not because I'm not too sure exactly how to calculate it. The best I can do is give a set of radii from 1.2 to 0.95 Earth radii. Now, here's some more info about the system as a whole:

HOST STAR

• KIC 7848638 (APH00015me).
  • K-Type dwarf.
  • 0.83 Solar radii.
  • Possibly 0.82 or more Solar masses.
  • Visual magnitude of 14.648.
  • Nickname: Arinna or Koyash (depending on exact spectral type).

EXOPLANET

• KIC 7848638 b
  • Earth-sized terrestrial.
  • Between 1.2 and 0.95 Earth radii.
  • Semi-Major Axis of at least 0.04741 AU (depending on star's mass).
  • Year of about 12.2 days.
  • Nickname: Chantico or Montu (Depending on exact size).

Here's some art of a lava planet that may be close to what KIC 7848638 b looks like in real life (picture by FeLoRe on DeviantArt):

lava_planet_by_felore.png

IRVEES UPDATE: Tonight will be the first night of my operator training course. The group of thunderstorms that were going to possibly cancel the session are now going to miss us. There probably won't be any photos of any objects from tonight's session, but maybe next time. I'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I've done quite a lot of stuff relating to my first solar system, KIC 7848638. I made replicas of each planet in Space Engine by editing the crud out of random planets. I did make a replica of Montu, but I forgot to take a picture. It wasn't even that good to begin with. I'll make another replica when I get the chance. For now, here are the other planets:

CHANTICO (KIC 7848638 b) :

e3zCiV4.jpg

SETHLANS (KIC 7848638 d) :

77jE3UP.jpg

KUPOLE (KIC 7848638 e) :

pDN0KQs.jpg

INDRA (KIC 7848638 f) :

g1WPT67.jpg

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

IRVEES UPDATE: Tonight will be the first night of my operator training course. The group of thunderstorms that were going to possibly cancel the session are now going to miss us. There probably won't be any photos of any objects from tonight's session, but maybe next time. I'll just have to wait and see.

Also, I've done quite a lot of stuff relating to my first solar system, KIC 7848638. I made replicas of each planet in Space Engine by editing the crud out of random planets. I did make a replica of Montu, but I forgot to take a picture. It wasn't even that good to begin with. I'll make another replica when I get the chance. For now, here are the other planets:

CHANTICO (KIC 7848638 b) :

e3zCiV4.jpg

SETHLANS (KIC 7848638 d) :

77jE3UP.jpg

KUPOLE (KIC 7848638 e) :

pDN0KQs.jpg

INDRA (KIC 7848638 f) :

g1WPT67.jpg

I like Indra the best :)

Are you going to make it a moon?

Edited by Spaceception

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2016 at 5:56 PM, _Augustus_ said:

Put me in the "supporters" list. Once my Edmund Super Space Conqueror (a 6" Newtonian), guidescope, and FILM (you heard me) SLR are set up I'm going to have a crack at this, assuming the Super Space Conqueror's motors still are working after fifty years.

It would be impressive if that equipment works. However, you may not be too far away from where I did my June 14th observations...

34 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

It would be impressive if that equipment works. However, you may not be too far away from where I did my June 14th observations...

The SSC is now fully operational. I still will need a T-adapter if I want to begin. Guidescope arrives tomorrow.

Where are you located?

Edited by _Augustus_

2 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

The SSC is now fully operational. I still will need a T-adapter if I want to begin. Guidescope arrives tomorrow.

Where are you located?

Well, let's just say I'm also a Connecticuteer less than an hour away from NYC. Good job with your old-timey equipment :) 

• 4 months later...

UPADTE: I'm not too sure what to do with IRVEES. I may try to continue it once I finish my research with transiting exoplanet candidates in the Kepler and K2 data. However, no matter what, the organization and features of the project WILL be altered in some way.

11 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

UPADTE: I'm not too sure what to do with IRVEES. I may try to continue it once I finish my research with transiting exoplanet candidates in the Kepler and K2 data. However, no matter what, the organization and features of the project WILL be altered in some way.

It's better than being cancelled :)

Btw, how many stars have you observed? Rough guess.

• 1 month later...

IRVEES UPDATE:

Learning from my new knowledge of this year and the mistakes of last year, I have a better strategy for IRVEES. This will be more of a local project for the people that can actually get to the observatory I go to (meaning that they are close enough). The goal of the project is to attempt to find transiting planets in more densely filled areas of stars. This would include parts of the Milky Way disk and maybe SOME open clusters. During the summer, a few hours' worth of images will be gathered of the region once every few days. Data will be compared to that of a stable star within the same field of view. This might be enough to catch a transit. If I do find one, I will use what I know of the star and the transit to calculate orbital period using the Planetary Calculator. Then, I will try to catch the predicted time the transit will return. I may try to catch more than one new transit depending on calculated orbital period. After enough analysis, I'll call the transiting object a candidate.

IRVEES will also analyze K2 stars with candidates I find on Exoplanet Explorers. The first up: EPIC 212525618. It is a red dwarf of visual magnitude 13.173, meaning that it's bright enough to be seen with the telescope I used for the original IRVEES observations. But what's cool is that me and another Zooniverse user, Emberfire, have found a potentially habitable planet of 1.189 Re and 305*K orbiting it every 28.835 days. This makes the teensy red star a high priority target. It is in the constellation Virgo, and since I'm on Spring Break, I may gather some data on it this week! Who knows?

2 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

IRVEES UPDATE:

Learning from my new knowledge of this year and the mistakes of last year, I have a better strategy for IRVEES. This will be more of a local project for the people that can actually get to the observatory I go to (meaning that they are close enough). The goal of the project is to attempt to find transiting planets in more densely filled areas of stars. This would include parts of the Milky Way disk and maybe SOME open clusters. During the summer, a few hours' worth of images will be gathered of the region once every few days. Data will be compared to that of a stable star within the same field of view. This might be enough to catch a transit. If I do find one, I will use what I know of the star and the transit to calculate orbital period using the Planetary Calculator. Then, I will try to catch the predicted time the transit will return. I may try to catch more than one new transit depending on calculated orbital period. After enough analysis, I'll call the transiting object a candidate.

IRVEES will also analyze K2 stars with candidates I find on Exoplanet Explorers. The first up: EPIC 212525618. It is a red dwarf of visual magnitude 13.173, meaning that it's bright enough to be seen with the telescope I used for the original IRVEES observations. But what's cool is that me and another Zooniverse user, Emberfire, have found a potentially habitable planet of 1.189 Re and 305*K orbiting it every 28.835 days. This makes the teensy red star a high priority target. It is in the constellation Virgo, and since I'm on Spring Break, I may gather some data on it this week! Who knows?

PM me.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would love to join! BUT NOT RIGHT NOW. I have some asteroid/comet stuff as well as some long-term planetary observations going on right now :P. Maybe later, though. I have some stars in mind that COULD have some exoplanets...

13 hours ago, Cabbink said:

I recommend for everyone who is new to look at trappist-1 (if you can) and look at the transits live for practice.

The star is too faint. It's at about magnitude 19, which is REALLY faint for most telescopes. You would need an observatory let alone dark skies to see it. (I WISH I could use it for practice :/)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.