[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

On 2/28/2017 at 10:29 AM, Zenithas said:

It's "working" to a degree for me - I can launch telescopes fine.  Also having no luck getting anything but 'empty space' results whilst tracking Minmus anything, however.

12 hours ago, WintericeUK said:

I have the exact same issue using the Dev build from the front page.

For the folks for whom it's not working, what does your log file show?  I'm looking at the ResearchBodies.txt file in the "Plugins/PluginData/" directory.  Look for the "Chances to get a body is set to" text.  In my log file, it lists this chance as zero.

I remain convinced that somehow, the chance to discover a body is mistakenly getting set to zero.  I've started looking through the source code, but I don't see anything obviously wrong.  I don't understand how other mods could affect that, but that's simply due to my own lack of background with modding KSP.  I'm trying this mod with a basic GPP installation with no other mods installed, to be clear.

Paul

On 2/20/2017 at 9:22 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

@GreyKestrel @rasta013 Interestingly, I've been getting the impression that not everyone with RB + GPP has met the issue, and some even still happily use the two together. It helps that whatever craft (even the earliest possible one) carrying the RB telescope has SAS and target hold unlocked. It's nice to read that some other mod(s) must be the offender and not the WIP RB itself.

Based on the vast majority of responses (everyone not named Galileo as far as I can tell), the only way that RB works with GPP is if you're using the unofficial (and disavowed) version of the dll that we've been asked not to use.  That's certainly been my experience.    I have no explanation as to why it might work for Galileo, unless it has something to do with his development environment somehow enabling the old RB dll to work.  Nobody other than Galileo has reported here that RB works unless they're using the dll that was recompiled for 1.2.2.

@JPLRepo

I was also experiencing issues with RB and GPP which brought me here. I was going to mention that I also had issues using it with stock KSP. I saw the development build and changed to 1.9 and still had no luck, but saw the post about someone simply compiling it again and getting that to work so I tried that... No dice. Looking at the source for the 1.9 build (downloaded, not from GitHub) I did notice a good reason for it to not work however in Database.cs:

VzYnjgt.jpg

Seems like a probable mistake with the actual reading of the chances from the database being commented out on the 1.9 version. Not sure why the 1.8.1 version didn't work for me, but removing the comments from these first 3 commented out rows before the appLauncher stuff and compiling that got me a working version. I was initially looking at the source in GitHub and these items aren't commented out there.

Hope this saves you from hours of diving through code and pulling your hair out!

Edited by Tynrael

1 hour ago, Tynrael said:

@JPLRepo

I was also experiencing issues with RB and GPP which brought me here. I was going to mention that I also had issues using it with stock KSP. I saw the development build and changed to 1.9 and still had no luck, but saw the post about someone simply compiling it again and getting that to work so I tried that... No dice. Looking at the source for the 1.9 build (downloaded, not from GitHub) I did notice a good reason for it to not work however in Database.cs:

VzYnjgt.jpg

Seems like a probable mistake with the actual reading of the chances from the database being commented out on the 1.9 version. Not sure why the 1.8.1 version didn't work for me, but removing the comments from these first 3 commented out rows before the appLauncher stuff and compiling that got me a working version. I was initially looking at the source in GitHub and these items aren't commented out there.

Hope this saves you from hours of diving through code and pulling your hair out!

It's commented out because it is no longer used from there.
The new Settings screen is where that value is derived.

im working on it.

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

It's commented out because it is no longer used from there.
The new Settings screen is where that value is derived.

AH I see, it has been replaced with DiscoverSeed and that isn't set until after the Log so the 0s everyone has been seeing don't mean anything. In that case I've been able to get this working with just a recompile as well. Maybe something up with the post-build, I cut all that out and just made the dll which has a different size than the released version.

Expanding out to use RB for the first time I have a few things to note:

• It seems some things are moving out of the database and into the persistent file, right now (for a modded system) the correctly listed "starter" worlds pulled from the database are displayed and the rest are hidden (everything as it should be)- RB populates different entities than these as the known CBs in the persistent file/menu, I'm not sure if this impacts anything (yet?)
  • The science reward for discovering a body seems to always be +20 higher than what is set in the menu
  • If more than one body is discovered the descriptions become appended together with each new discovery (regardless of fails in-between). So you get:
    • A
    • B + A
    • C + B + A

Thank you for your work keeping this mod alive! Now that my program is getting this far I appreciate what it adds to the game.

Edited by Tynrael
So as to not double post

Please try to read at least a page or two from the end of a thread before asking about updates/version compatibility. The previous two pages have been literally nothing but discussion of functionality in 1.2.2

8 hours ago, Tynrael said:

AH I see, it has been replaced with DiscoverSeed and that isn't set until after the Log so the 0s everyone has been seeing don't mean anything. In that case I've been able to get this working with just a recompile as well. Maybe something up with the post-build, I cut all that out and just made the dll which has a different size than the released version.

Expanding out to use RB for the first time I have a few things to note:

• It seems some things are moving out of the database and into the persistent file, right now (for a modded system) the correctly listed "starter" worlds pulled from the database are displayed and the rest are hidden (everything as it should be)- RB populates different entities than these as the known CBs in the persistent file/menu, I'm not sure if this impacts anything (yet?)
  • The science reward for discovering a body seems to always be +20 higher than what is set in the menu
  • If more than one body is discovered the descriptions become appended together with each new discovery (regardless of fails in-between). So you get:
    • A
    • B + A
    • C + B + A

Thank you for your work keeping this mod alive! Now that my program is getting this far I appreciate what it adds to the game.

Correct. Moving away from the old system to persisting data into the save file.
I'm not sure what you mean by: "RB populates different entities than these as the known CBs in the persistent file/menu" - If you mean the ResearchBodies SCENARIO node in the persistent.sfs file. That is not what I see.
Yes it is.The science reward is the base reward PLUS the sciencereward set in the partmodule. - So that is functioning correctly as well.
Which descriptions?

Ok I've published an updated Development version.
Only available on GITHUB here:
https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/releases/tag/V1.9.1-Develop

Changes since last Dev version.:
Repositioned Observatory models.
Fixed TST integration.
Added SAS, hibernation mode and ModuleDataTransmitter to the TB-75 telescope.
Fixed Obstruction code for TB-75.
Fixed GUI for researched bodies.
Began adding Contract Configurator integration for contracts.  - NOTE: ResearchBodies now REQUIRES Contract Configurator V1.22.2
Two Basic contracts available, but are not properly integrated. Testing feedback much appreciated.
Make the debugging settings option dynamically update from the in-game mini-settings.
Lots of CC integration changes started (WIP)...
Added Observatory Ranges and allow old researchin career mode settings to Database file.
Increase screen msg timeouts.
Change colour of green in Observatory for text to something more readable.
Balance Science and research costs.

For all those having issues with finding bodies, etc. Please try this release.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

It is now working for me with GPP. :)  I did have to update the database.cfg file for GPP to include these three lines:

observatorylvl1range = 80000000000
    observatorylvl2range = 184000000000

allowOldResearchinCareer = false

Thanks for fixing this!

Paul

10 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I'm not sure what you mean by: "RB populates different entities than these as the known CBs in the persistent file/menu" - If you mean the ResearchBodies SCENARIO node in the persistent.sfs file. That is not what I see.

The list of CBs already discovered doesn't seem to populate from the database values, they are incorrect with a non-stock system and even with a stock system if the database is changed the different difficulties don't reflect those settings. E.g. if I make Tylo known on Normal it isn't added to the CBs already discovered, but DOES show in the game as having been discovered.

SEZXEOj.jpg

10 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Which descriptions?

It might have been a coincidence, I was 'finding' a gas giant and then later finding a moon around the gas giant. I initially had the description for the gas giant and then when I discovered the moon it displayed the description for both the moon and the gas giant. Then a new moon, the last moon, and the gas giant. Now it appears that most of the time I am discovering most moons and the bodies they are tied to at the same exact time so I see all the descriptions up front.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the new pop-up box for the description when a CB is discovered, currently it isn't something you can't interact with when it pops up so you have to Track again before you can move/close the message.

If you are using Kopernicus it seems that the ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg makes it so that you can track anything within 540Mkm, is that intended or is the maxTrackDistance of the telescope meant to be tied to the new observatorylvl1range and observatory2ranges? If I set these both to 75Mkm in an otherwise stock system with Kopernicus added I can find Eeloo from Kerbin when on the opposite side of the sun.

A lot of goodies in the latest update. Can a Hibernation in Warp - Auto, be added for the telescope?

On 04/03/2017 at 8:51 PM, JPLRepo said:

Sorry everyone, I'll try to find some time tomorrow to work on the issues.

On 05/03/2017 at 2:46 PM, JPLRepo said:

Utterly understandable, if I sound irate, please never assume it is towards someone who is creating something I appreciate using.

As for the release, perfectly fixed, thank you!

i am currently having an issue with galileo that has me not having any pre discovered bodies, everything is unknown from the start, it also does not show a list of pre discovered in the settings when selecting difficulty. Not Sure what may have caused that, i dont see anyone else having that issue on here.

11 minutes ago, CrazyCanadian said:

i am currently having an issue with galileo that has me not having any pre discovered bodies, everything is unknown from the start, it also does not show a list of pre discovered in the settings when selecting difficulty. Not Sure what may have caused that, i dont see anyone else having that issue on here.

GPP was developed with an older dev version, and will not work with the latest dev version. 1.9.0 is what GPP uses.

On another note, I was just looking into the changes that were made for GPP and couldn't figure out why nothing in the latest dev version was working for me. Turns out contract configurator is required now and I can't read. Good to know :)

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

GPP was developed with an older dev version, and will not work with the latest dev version. 1.9.0 is what GPP uses.

On another note, I was just looking into the changes that were made for GPP and couldn't figure out why nothing in the latest dev version was working for me. Turns out contract configurator is required now and I can't read. Good to know :)

Thank you very much! i did notice that it needed contract configurator but missed the GPP version requirement.  i will roll back my version and try again.

EDIT: i changed my version back to 1.9.0 Dev version but have the same error, it doesnt seem to be displaying a starter list of discovered bodies still.... a settings file i need to delete from first version? Or is it because i have the wrong version of KSP now because its saying wrong ksp version on start now though for research bodies.

Edited by CrazyCanadian

So it could be the database values are not being read correctly/sync'd up with the new difficulty settings integration. I'll have to look into it.
Which could also be why it isn't setting up the bodies for Kopernicus packs.
If someone can log a valid bug report on github that would be appreciated and I will get to it once the Pre-Release is out.

Hi JPLRepo,

Since this is my first post in these forums let me start by saying how much I appreciate the work you and the other modders in this community do.  You make many people very happy!

I am using your dev build and I noticed something that might be a bug.  After I discover the body, open the research bodies window from the Observatory and start to research it, I am finding I can complete the research to 100% and receive the science.  However, if I stop the research and do it all over again... I collect the science again as well.

I just wanted to let you know as I searched the forums and couldn't find anything like this being talked about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, CrazyCanadian said:

Thank you very much! i did notice that it needed contract configurator but missed the GPP version requirement.  i will roll back my version and try again.

EDIT: i changed my version back to 1.9.0 Dev version but have the same error, it doesnt seem to be displaying a starter list of discovered bodies still.... a settings file i need to delete from first version? Or is it because i have the wrong version of KSP now because its saying wrong ksp version on start now though for research bodies.

Is it possible you installed GPP then added the new version of ResearchBodies, without re-adding the GPP specific database file and changing it as mentioned above by GreyKestrel? If you had the stock database file from RB it would make sense not to find any starter planets because all the stock ones are removed. I have been using the 1.9.1 version without much of an issue. The starter planets are correctly set from the database file when changed and starting a new save, but don't match what is stored in the save file so I manually edit those to be correct and like I mentioned above that ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg file seems to overwrite everything so I manually set it to what my telescope distances should be.

• 3 weeks later...

Running various Kopernicus mods in conjunction with this, such as Galactic Neighborhood.  Targeting bodies in orbit around other stars (or the other stars themselves) brings a message of "You require a more powerful telescope".

Is there one in the mod that can be researched?  Or is that on it's own?

2 hours ago, Zenithas said:

Running various Kopernicus mods in conjunction with this, such as Galactic Neighborhood.  Targeting bodies in orbit around other stars (or the other stars themselves) brings a message of "You require a more powerful telescope".

Is there one in the mod that can be researched?  Or is that on it's own?

Depends on the distance we are talking. Without specifics.
The part included has a range defined in it's config. this can be changed of course. It does increase this range if Kopernicus is installed. But depending on what you are looking at it could indeed be beyond that range. Given you said around other stars.. then yes. it won't be able to see them. You will need a telescope with much longer range.

The Module Manager file for when Kopernicus is installed is this file: ResearchBodiesMMKopernicus.cfg
The values are in meters. The maximum is 3.40282347E+38 given it's a float.

48 minutes ago, Zenithas said:

@JPLRepo Thanks for the clarification - average of 5-30Tm, so a little beyond that.  Rather than updating the list, I might get around to experimenting with an expansion for this.  Meanwhile, thanks!  I'm enjoying the mod at 1.2.2.

I'm not sure what you are thinking there. I'll have to think about making the distance measurements doubles. But that's got other issues. Basically for now you can only research bodies in the same system if you are using mods that are creating other stars.

@JPLRepo Oh!  Sorry, my communications get scatterbrained if I sleep poorly.  I meant the distances that the stars were at; in the Tm range, not just the Gm range, and I was thinking of working on another telescope, later in the tree, with increased range, for extrastellar research.

Otherwise it's awkward trying to travel across the interstellar void to reach a star when you can't plot course; a lot of swing-and-miss range.

6 minutes ago, Zenithas said:

@JPLRepo Oh!  Sorry, my communications get scatterbrained if I sleep poorly.  I meant the distances that the stars were at; in the Tm range, not just the Gm range, and I was thinking of working on another telescope, later in the tree, with increased range, for extrastellar research.

Otherwise it's awkward trying to travel across the interstellar void to reach a star when you can't plot course; a lot of swing-and-miss range.

sorry.. but what is the distance? Trillions of meters?
I'm thinking of adding part upgrades to the telescope in the final release. (or maybe the next dev version).

Also if you use the telescopes from my TST mod the big one has more range.