[1.12.x] ResearchBodies V1.13.0 (15th May 2022)

JPLRepo

On 25/06/2016 at 6:10 PM, Ser said:

@JPLRepohow to get rid of science rewards? I've edited database.cfg, set ScienceRewards = 0 0 0 0 but still gettiing them.

It's probably a bug then. What type of game are you referring to ? Career? Science Sandbox?
I've re-written all of that code, probably best to sit tight for the upcoming new version.
Oh I found the problem. The science reward it is using is actually set in the part config file, not the one in the database.cfg file.
go into \GameData\ResearchBodies\Parts\telescope\telescope.cfg You will see this in any text editor in the file:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleTrackBodies
		scienceReward = 20
		difficulty = 4
		minAltitude = 250000
		maxTrackDistance = 100000000000
		electricChargeRequest = 7
		landed = false
		viewAngle = 6
		// requiresPart = true
		// requiredPart = ObservatoryBase
	}

change the scienceReward = 20 to ScienceReward = 0 and save it. then you won't get any science.
About to change that for the next version. It should just use the one in the database/main config settings file I have decided.

Edited: Actually what it should do is give you an extra reward for using the telescope to find a body on top of the reward you get in the Observatory.

Edited by JPLRepo

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

change the scienceReward = 20 to ScienceReward = 0 and save it. then you won't get any science.

The reward for "seeing" an object with a telescope is gone but when I complete research plan I still get +10 science. Is there a way to eliminate that too?

2 hours ago, Ser said:

The reward for "seeing" an object with a telescope is gone but when I complete research plan I still get +10 science. Is there a way to eliminate that too?

Close KSP. Go to your "saves" folder, then go to the save folder you want to change, and open the researchbodies.cfg file. Set "ScienceReward" to 0. Save and close this file. Open KSP again !

1 hour ago, simon56modder said:

Close KSP. Go to your "saves" folder, then go to the save folder you want to change, and open the researchbodies.cfg file. Set "ScienceReward" to 0. Save and close this file. Open KSP again !

Are you sure that works? I've opened the file and saw a zero value there. I'll check that one more time.

I absolutely love that this mod exists.

Can't wait till undiscovered body occlusion is implemented! When I first started playing KSP, I was very disappointed that you could zoom in and see all the planets right off the bat. I think it's one of the bigger shortcomings of the game.

On 30/06/2016 at 7:04 PM, Ser said:

@JPLRepo, @simon56modder I've finally managed to get it working as I want. Was surprised that the parameter responsible for science rewarded for research plan completion was "ResearchCost"

Thanks, yep a bug. Fixed for the upcoming release.

26 minutes ago, parachutingturtle said:

I absolutely love that this mod exists.

Can't wait till undiscovered body occlusion is implemented! When I first started playing KSP, I was very disappointed that you could zoom in and see all the planets right off the bat. I think it's one of the bigger shortcomings of the game.

Getting closer, still testing and bug squashing.

@JPLRepoJust a note in case you didn't see it and I don't even know if it will affect RB or not but...

Apparently Squad updated the Asteroid Day mod and re-released it again 3 days ago.  Since RB uses the telescope from there I didn't know if it might affect you in some way and figured I'd bring it up.

Changes in Progress to the Flight Menu.

Spoiler

mHmA682.png

Default bodies (based on difficulty) also appear in the Observatory menu as well now (of course they come fully researched):

Spoiler

V7HbQ7e.png

Just now, rasta013 said:

@JPLRepoJust a note in case you didn't see it and I don't even know if it will affect RB or not but...

Apparently Squad updated the Asteroid Day mod and re-released it again 3 days ago.  Since RB uses the telescope from there I didn't know if it might affect you in some way and figured I'd bring it up.

Thanks. All Good, testing with the updated Asteroid Day mod with upcoming ResearchBodies update is working fine so far!

A few testers would come in handy to help me make sure all is good with the new version. PM me if you have the time to test the upcoming updates.

V1.8 Released!
See the Changelog in the OP for all the details. Way too many to mention here.
Major highlight is of course the Progressive CelestialBody visibility.
I'll be updating the Imgur library, etc with new pics, etc over the coming few days.

Edit: forgot to mention if you want to expand the experience with my TST mod make sure you get v6.4 of TST as well.

Edited by JPLRepo

So I had the luck that you released 1.8 just as my new career got to the point of opening up the first telescope.  As such, I've had the chance to play with this a lot over the last day and a half and it is outstanding!  I've not come across any major crashing bugs, no NREs of any kind and all but one of the previous little nag issues are gone.  The only one remaining is the toolbar persistence and I'm not even sure whether you meant to address it with this latest release or not.  If you did, I'll just update you and let you know that the RB button still has a dire addiction to the stock toolbar.  No big deal at all in my opinion but figured I'd report on it just in case it was meant to be fixed.

The other piece here is a few observations/ideas I've had.  The new system for finding bodies is soooo much better with vastly reduced clicking and has definitely increased the joy of using this mod.  However, it has also become really easy to find all the bodies in the solar system at once which means an instant influx of science with very little effort.  Now that this is integrated with TST and (working nicely so far I might add) I had an idea about this whole 'find everything at once' issue.  Would it be possible to limit what can be found with each telescope?  For instance, the first scope could be used to find anything local and maybe immediately next door like Eve and Duna.  Another alternative instead of the immediate neighbors would be to limit it strictly to finding planets but not moons.  If this could be tied to the tracking station even more tightly it could be planets only with level 2 and moons with level 3.  Furthermore, if you've got TST installed, it could instead fall over to planets for the first scope, planets+moons for the space telescope.  I don't know if you've gone this far since I haven't played with the deep space TST scope yet but adding in that with awards for galaxy discovery could be a third stage.

The other observation I had was in regards to the research costs.  They are needed and I support them fully.  But...they are so cheap right now that it was no issue at all in my career to find all 29 bodies in my OPM setup and research every last one of them one after the other.  Bear in mind I'm playing on hard with contracts modified further to reduce payouts to 25% and I still didn't have any issue paying for all 29 bodies.  I have yet to dive into the configs so this may be a simple issue of just bumping up the costs for personal tastes.  If so, could I suggest maybe having this available as an UI configurable setting similar to the science slider?

You may already be heading towards a design that would address all these ideas but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents being long winded as usual... :D 

10 hours ago, rasta013 said:

So I had the luck that you released 1.8 just as my new career got to the point of opening up the first telescope.  As such, I've had the chance to play with this a lot over the last day and a half and it is outstanding!  I've not come across any major crashing bugs, no NREs of any kind and all but one of the previous little nag issues are gone.  The only one remaining is the toolbar persistence and I'm not even sure whether you meant to address it with this latest release or not.  If you did, I'll just update you and let you know that the RB button still has a dire addiction to the stock toolbar.  No big deal at all in my opinion but figured I'd report on it just in case it was meant to be fixed.

The other piece here is a few observations/ideas I've had.  The new system for finding bodies is soooo much better with vastly reduced clicking and has definitely increased the joy of using this mod.  However, it has also become really easy to find all the bodies in the solar system at once which means an instant influx of science with very little effort.  Now that this is integrated with TST and (working nicely so far I might add) I had an idea about this whole 'find everything at once' issue.  Would it be possible to limit what can be found with each telescope?  For instance, the first scope could be used to find anything local and maybe immediately next door like Eve and Duna.  Another alternative instead of the immediate neighbors would be to limit it strictly to finding planets but not moons.  If this could be tied to the tracking station even more tightly it could be planets only with level 2 and moons with level 3.  Furthermore, if you've got TST installed, it could instead fall over to planets for the first scope, planets+moons for the space telescope.  I don't know if you've gone this far since I haven't played with the deep space TST scope yet but adding in that with awards for galaxy discovery could be a third stage.

The other observation I had was in regards to the research costs.  They are needed and I support them fully.  But...they are so cheap right now that it was no issue at all in my career to find all 29 bodies in my OPM setup and research every last one of them one after the other.  Bear in mind I'm playing on hard with contracts modified further to reduce payouts to 25% and I still didn't have any issue paying for all 29 bodies.  I have yet to dive into the configs so this may be a simple issue of just bumping up the costs for personal tastes.  If so, could I suggest maybe having this available as an UI configurable setting similar to the science slider?

You may already be heading towards a design that would address all these ideas but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents being long winded as usual... :D 

Thanks @rasta013 for the feedback. I completely forgot about the Toolbar/Stock button setting. Raising items on Github helps me remember (my brain is too full of RL stuff and modding stuff and I forget). https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/issues/11
I'm tracking all the ideas on github in this issue for those interested. https://github.com/JPLRepo/ResearchBodies/issues/5

You are definitely right: It's too easy and the costs are too low.
I thought about changing it for 1.8, but decided to get a release out first.
Have to also keep in mind this mod needs to operate as stand-alone, and some users are not going to want to install TST as well. So the mechanics have to work for this mod in it's own right and when used together with TST then the experience should be further improved or enhanced with the capabilities of TST mod added.
Ideas I have currently and started mapping/planning out:
Contracts system to launch telescopes, scan the skies, find bodies, research/watch bodies for periods of time from both telescopes and a ground observatory which slowly builds up the research and discovery levels.
More config options and default costs much higher.
Possible upgrades for the telescopes that restricts their capabilities until upgraded.
A ground observatory for research over time (instead of just clicking in a menu now).

Spoiler

gtq1dnG.png

Sneak peek, very early development idea.

Happy to entertain any ideas people have right now as this is very much the ideal point in time given I am planning out the future changes to take this to the next level.

Edited by JPLRepo

Very cool.  From now, once an issue is confirmed I'll be sure to make a note of it on GitHub for you if it's not already there.  I completely agree with the independence of the mod.  That was kind of a stream of consciousness post regarding the ideas and I love the ideas you've got.  The upgrade to improve parts would be a fantastic way to address the 'all bodes at once' issue and I'm really looking forward to the contracts.  Keep up the great work!

@JPLRepo, tried the new version 1.8. Tracking center scene takes up to several minutes to load now. Tried that 2 times and according to GCMonitor my RAM usage jumped from normal 4Gb/3Gb to 11.5/6Gb making the game unplayable. Installed the old version of the mod and everything was back to normal. Have a lot of other mods though, the most significant are Stock Visual Enhancements and Scatterer, may be their incompatibility is the reason.

I guess that might be caused by ProgressiveCBMaps. Can it be removed without consequences?

Edited by Ser

16 minutes ago, Ser said:

@JPLRepo, tried the new version 1.8. Tracking center scene takes up to several minutes to load now. Tried that 2 times and according to GCMonitor my RAM usage jumped from normal 4Gb/3Gb to 11.5/6Gb making the game unplayable. Installed the old version of the mod and everything was back to normal. Have a lot of other mods though, the most significant are Stock Visual Enhancements and Scatterer, may be their incompatibility is the reason.

I guess that might be caused by ProgressiveCBMaps. Can it be removed without consequences?

Yeah it uses a LOT of memory. I have to refine it. I tested with EVE and Scatterer and it works fine for me.
Yes you can remove the separate DLL and it will still work without it (no progressive maps though).

8 minutes ago, Maars said:

Same here.  I'm getting severe stuttering on the KSC screen and during flight.

Shouldn't have anything to do with this mod. It doesn't do anything to the celestial bodies at the KSC screen. During flight, should not make much impact either.
If you remove the ProgressiveCBMaps folder does it fix the problem? I'd be surprised by this. I'd think you have something else going on.

EDIT: in flight it is only processing the local bodies. The tracking station is a problem because it processes ALL the bodies on load of the scene.

Edited by JPLRepo

3 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

I meant in delivering content; you're way past due for a burnout and yet you keep picking up steam. You're also running out of signature space, hah:lol:

meh. Doesn't take that much. The hardest bit is my free time is broken up into small blocks. So every time I come back to something I have to remember what I was doing. That wastes more time.
If I was doing it full time, it would be a lot easier and faster. There just isn't enough time to do everything I'd like to do. So a lot of it is unfinished, or rather, not where I'd like it to be, and not to the quality/standard I would like it to be.

Edited by JPLRepo

39 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Yeah it uses a LOT of memory. I have to refine it. I tested with EVE and Scatterer and it works fine for me.
Yes you can remove the separate DLL and it will still work without it (no progressive maps though).

Shouldn't have anything to do with this mod. It doesn't do anything to the celestial bodies at the KSC screen. During flight, should not make much impact either.
If you remove the ProgressiveCBMaps folder does it fix the problem? I'd be surprised by this. I'd think you have something else going on.

EDIT: in flight it is only processing the local bodies. The tracking station is a problem because it processes ALL the bodies on load of the scene.

Ok, I'll try to play with the stuff a little to figure out the reason.

By the way, the following MM patch could help to stop the telescope part from being immune to RemoteTech:

@PART[TrackBodiesTelescope]:AFTER[ResearchBodies]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
	%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
	}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive]	{
		%TechRequired = unmannedTech
		%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

}

Just my 2 cents on the whole laggy graphics issue...

I'm running my typicaly 150+ modlist including EVE, Scatterer and OPM and haven't had any real issues of any kind.  The only slow down I ever see that's large is when first entering the tracking station where it takes about 5-7 seconds to load and after that works fine.  I know the memory usage difference between EVE and SVE is vast so I'm sure that it would have the potential of creating big issues though.

Running about 112 mods without EVE/Scatter and the hit on entering the tracking station wouldn't have been noticed if I didn't know to look for it (maybe 1-3 seconds tops). I really like the effect the fuzziness has. I have OPM and TransKeptunian planet packs installed, and the fuzz factor seems to not be on every planet. I'm on Easy difficulty, so that means I have views of local moons and Jool moons (and Jool maybe?), but the fuzz was not applied to Eeloo or Jool. Eeloo maybe because it gets moved by OPM (I think, or maybe that's a different mod), and Jool, because you've already discovered its moons, so presumably, Jool?. Eve looked weird, Duna cool (as always), and a lot of the planet pack rocks didn't have the fuzz either; I would say maybe 75% of them.

Here is an album taken with the usage of HayStacks Continued. I take it most users won't be able to do this (target/focus on Unknown Objects)?

Order is Eve, Duna, Jool, Eeloo, Slate, Orma. Only Eve, Duna, and Orma in the pictures show the fuzz.

Cheers.

Edit:

maxTemp = 580 :o

Edited by Deimos Rast