Steam Controller Does Not Work

From this post as a source.

What is the situation with steam controller support currently?
It does not seem to at all work, with multiple threads sharing this complaint (most without any answers).

The post above and the official configuration that shows up in-game give some hope, but there doesn't seem to be any solution that works.

Basically, the mode-switching does not work, the control layout permanently set to "menu". One of the features advertised by Harvester "layout mode displayed when game is paused" also doesn't seem to be there.

Quite annoying as KSP was the reason to buy one, it's not a great amount of money lost, but I still feel a little cheated.

7da67b95b2.jpg

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I don't know, I don't have a Steam controller to try.

I have read that they only work in Steam big picture mode, but I assume you are already using this.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I have tried in all different modes. Sadly none do work.

I understand many do not have the controller, so an answer may be hard to find. 

I just tested on my system.  I'm running Win10 with STEAM and my STEAM controller worked just fine.  The modes changed when I went from menu to VAB to flight and all buttons, etc... seemed to function as intended.  Have you tried verifying integrity of your game cache via STEAM?  Perhaps the steamworks package that runs the controller is corrupted or something on your system?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2016 at 2:17 AM, Ignath said:

I just tested on my system.  I'm running Win10 with STEAM and my STEAM controller worked just fine.  The modes changed when I went from menu to VAB to flight and all buttons, etc... seemed to function as intended.  Have you tried verifying integrity of your game cache via STEAM?  Perhaps the steamworks package that runs the controller is corrupted or something on your system?

Interesting.

I have tried everything:
- Verify.
- Reinstall.
- Reinstall Steam.

No success, modes do not switch.

I am also on Windows 10.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Interesting.

I have tried everything:
- Verify.
- Reinstall.
- Reinstall Steam.

No success, modes do not switch.

I am also on Windows 10.

Did you run from the Big Picture mode?  Is your controller's profile set up to use the SQUAD default settings? Check the STEAM controller batteries?  I'm out of ideas and just spit-balling here now, but I can't answer an issue I can't reproduce and my STEAM controller has been working just peachy for KSP, sorry.  :(

Edit:  I just realized I'm using STEAM's BETA version as well...are you on the BETA version or not?  Perhaps that makes a difference?

Edited by Ignath

On 6/9/2016 at 10:14 PM, Ignath said:

Did you run from the Big Picture mode?  Is your controller's profile set up to use the SQUAD default settings? Check the STEAM controller batteries?  I'm out of ideas and just spit-balling here now, but I can't answer an issue I can't reproduce and my STEAM controller has been working just peachy for KSP, sorry.  :(

Edit:  I just realized I'm using STEAM's BETA version as well...are you on the BETA version or not?  Perhaps that makes a difference?

I am too in Steam Beta mode, I have also tried without. Unfortunately no results. :( 

Any other potential things I may try?

Just a wild guess, unplug your keyboard and mouse and if they are gaming devices with their own software try disabling it and rebooting (and joystick too if you have one). 

BTW, I've been thinking of getting one of these controllers and from everything I've read Big Picture Mode is only needed to change settings, it should work in or out of that mode otherwise I wouldn't get one as I don't like BPM.

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2016 at 11:55 AM, kBob said:

Just a wild guess, unplug your keyboard and mouse and if they are gaming devices with their own software try disabling it and rebooting (and joystick too if you have one). 

BTW, I've been thinking of getting one of these controllers and from everything I've read Big Picture Mode is only needed to change settings, it should work in or out of that mode otherwise I wouldn't get one as I don't like BPM.

Doesn't work :( 

I have tried everything, can anybody confirm that their Steam Controller works today (I.E. not in a previous version of the game).

32 minutes ago, Beale said:

Doesn't work :( 

I have tried everything, can anybody confirm that their Steam Controller works today (I.E. not in a previous version of the game).

I can confirm unfortunately @Beale that my STEAM controller is functioning just as advertised by SQUAD when using their default configuration.  My controller is mode-switching properly and everything is working as advertised.

Sorry for your troubles, wish I could help but I cannot reproduce. ;.;

Edit:  I tested it immediately after I got the notification email of your request, just FYI.   Tested in menus, in flight, in building (VAB).

Edited by Ignath

57 minutes ago, Ignath said:

I can confirm unfortunately @Beale that my STEAM controller is functioning just as advertised by SQUAD when using their default configuration.  My controller is mode-switching properly and everything is working as advertised.

Sorry for your troubles, wish I could help but I cannot reproduce. ;.;

Edit:  I tested it immediately after I got the notification poem of your request, just FYI.   Tested in menus, in flight, in building (VAB).

Thank you for confirming this so quickly!

Very irritating on here, what more is there to try... :huh:

Also have tried:

• 32-Bit vs. 64-Bit
  • Steam Beta

By the way, is there manual mode switching available? I could find that okay, but not perfect.

Edited by Beale

@Beale can you try it on a different computer that happens to have KSP installed?  Maybe something is wrong with the controller.  The only other thing I can think of is to clean boot your computer (just the minimum needed to make it work) and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by kBob

On 7/18/2016 at 11:56 PM, kBob said:

@Beale can you try it on a different computer that happens to have KSP installed?  Maybe something is wrong with the controller.  The only other thing I can think of is to clean boot your computer (just the minimum needed to make it work) and see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately I cannot.

Clean boot was not successful, 

At this point I'd ask steam for a replacement.  Since others have confirmed it works on KSP it really comes down to either the controller or something with your system but since clean boot didn't work it's doubtful it's to do with your system (at least the software).

11 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@Beale have u confirmed that your Steam controller is working? Could be faulty hardware.

3 hours ago, kBob said:

At this point I'd ask steam for a replacement.  Since others have confirmed it works on KSP it really comes down to either the controller or something with your system but since clean boot didn't work it's doubtful it's to do with your system (at least the software).

Perhaps yes, maybe.

I have tried and confirmed the controller works perfectly on:

- Metal Gear Solid V
- The Elder Scrolls V
- Grand Theft Auto V

So I can confirm:

• The controller likes V.
  • The controller works.
  • The KSP mode switching is the only thing not working.

Unless maybe I am missing some driver, but I have not found anything.

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Perhaps yes, maybe.

I have tried and confirmed the controller works perfectly on:

- Metal Gear Solid V
- The Elder Scrolls V
- Grand Theft Auto V

So I can confirm:

• The controller likes V.
  • The controller works.
  • The KSP mode switching is the only thing not working.

Unless maybe I am missing some driver, but I have not found anything.

Is there any differences in the way you launch MGS V, TES V or GTA V vs. KSP (perhaps you should rename it KSP V?!)?  Do you perhaps launch all 3 of those games from the STEAM client, but launch KSP from a shortcut or something (just curious as I know a LOT of people who install both inside and outside of STEAM and launch from shortcuts rather than directly from STEAM)?  Not sure (haven't tested that scenario yet)  but you may need to launch directly from the STEAM client to be able to use the STEAM controller with all it's functionality.

Again, haven't tested yet, was just a thought I had...

Also @Beale, it appears there is a Bug Tracker ticket out there with this issue already: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/5996

You may want to read over the ticket & the responses in the thread...may help you pull something together on your own, or at least you can add your info to the ticket to get it some triage...they just downgraded it from "Being Worked On" to "Needs Clarification" and changed it's % Done status from 30 back down to 0.  This was done 4 days ago by @TriggerAu.

Edited by Ignath
bug tracker info

2 hours ago, Ignath said:

Is there any differences in the way you launch MGS V, TES V or GTA V vs. KSP (perhaps you should rename it KSP V?!)?  Do you perhaps launch all 3 of those games from the STEAM client, but launch KSP from a shortcut or something (just curious as I know a LOT of people who install both inside and outside of STEAM and launch from shortcuts rather than directly from STEAM)?  Not sure (haven't tested that scenario yet)  but you may need to launch directly from the STEAM client to be able to use the STEAM controller with all it's functionality.

Again, haven't tested yet, was just a thought I had...

Also @Beale, it appears there is a Bug Tracker ticket out there with this issue already: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/5996

You may want to read over the ticket & the responses in the thread...may help you pull something together on your own, or at least you can add your info to the ticket to get it some triage...they just downgraded it from "Being Worked On" to "Needs Clarification" and changed it's % Done status from 30 back down to 0.  This was done 4 days ago by @TriggerAu.

Launching through steam (But I should try renaming it KSP V! :D )

I thank you very much for the bug-tracker link, it looks there is some solution there!

9 hours ago, Ignath said:

13 hours ago, kBob said:

I'm well aware of that kBob...I was just insinuating that perhaps @Beale log in to the tracker and add his relevant info if he's having the same issue.  Perhaps it will also be helpful to others in the future (since this issue has happened to at least 1 other person, on Linux but either way).

21 hours ago, Beale said:

I thank you very much for the bug-tracker link, it looks there is some solution there!

Glad I could help, hope it brings along some resolution to your issue.  STEAM controllers are awesome and I'd hate for anyone to suffer with one not working.

Unfortunately the solutions provided on the Bug-Tracker are for Linux (?).

The problem for me is on Windows 10, I have tried moving the CSteamworks.dll to different places, but no success.

First have you tried both 64bit and 32bit versions of KSP?   Also where did you specifically try putting CSteamworks.dll?  I notice it's in the main KSP directory and ksp_x64_data\plugins on mine which may mean if you are using 32bit (the default for steam) this might be part of the problem.  Though you'd think if it's in the same directory the program runs from it would find it.  Also mine is dated 4/19/2016 so make sure your copy is not any older.

Edited by kBob
Bolded what turned out to be the problem

18 hours ago, kBob said:

First have you tried both 64bit and 32bit versions of KSP?   Also where did you specifically try putting CSteamworks.dll?  I notice it's in the main KSP directory and ksp_x64_data\plugins on mine which may mean if you are using 32bit (the default for steam) this might be part of the problem.  Though you'd think if it's in the same directory the program runs from it would find it.  Also mine is dated 4/19/2016 so make sure your copy is not any older.

Huh, I am missing a 'plugins' folder inside my KSP_x64_Data folder, is this the issue maybe?

To answer, yes, I have tried both 32 and 64 bit, launched through Steam big picture.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.