Alterations I want to make to the KSC

The Kerbal Space Center has always been the center piece for every KSP player since the very beginning (well, mostly). It has changed over the years, however I feel it could do with a makeover to add more facilities and to make it more realistic. I would like to see an additional 2 launchpads and runways as well as more structures and bringing back the Swamp that was next to the KSC in the earliest versions of the game.

4s8Jzhl.jpg

I think adding two more launchpads are not only realistic, but effective ways to provide alternate launch paths. Not to mention, the real Kennedy Space Center has multiple launch pads. In the career mode, you would start off the default Launchpad at level 1 like normal, but you could later build a level 1 Launchpad at each of the locations, and with each you can leave them unique as needed which again is similar to real launch pads in real life. Launch pads in real life are built to suit the launch vehicle they are launching. The launch pad for the Saturn V is different than what the Space Shuttle or Falcon 9 uses. You could have the alternate launch pad for small launches and leave it at level 1 or 2, and have the other two launch pads at level 3 suited for all launches. It would allow for even more unique career paths.

As to the runways, this is also a mix of career paths, realism and also launch (take-off) assists. In career mode, these runways would start like the launch pads, empty plots awaiting purchase into it's level 1 form. Again like the launch pads, you could tier each runway, having one for larger aircraft (Boeing 747 sized), and the other for smaller aircraft. This is reminiscent of real runways in real life, major airports never have just one runway, they have several so aircraft can land and take off at nearly the same time so they can keep a constant flow of traffic. In KSP, this would provide more verity and also, a larger possibility to land on a runway. Sometimes you deviate too far north or south in your space mission and having a more southerly runway would be very beneficial (speaking from experience from my Saturn Shuttle Program mission series(link in sig)). The north launching runway would assist with those who want to fly to the poles or simply explore the northern portions of the continents without having to perform a tiring long circle to the north/south. The image below is a picture from the Super Nintendo game, PilotWings, level (Lesson) 2. You can see that it has two runways for you choose from (granted your told to go to Runway 1 (leftmost runway). The Los Santos International Airport in Grand Theft Auto V had 3 runways, two parallel and one perpendicular to the other two and slightly smaller than the other two. So it's common in both real life and gaming.

F3l2uFc.png

Lastly, I mentioned the return of the Swamp from the earliest versions of KSP. I personally feel it adds some personality to the Space Center, whilst again being realistic and at the time, computer efficient and not melting your computer. It would again add more to the small peninsula to give it more character as well as being a throwback to the long term players who had the game when it was around. It would also break up the flat terrain on the peninsula without absolutely ruining every player's day. Just one more small obstacle, but a huge nostalgic throwback for the older players :) .

And I'll say this before anyone says this, I'm certain there's a KerbalKonstructs mod to add some of this in, but this is more of a suggestion for Squad to consider than a request to be made (although if someone does, that's awesome and I will use).

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

I'd settle for the runway to have a proper taxiway lol.

That would be extremely nice. I'd like to see some sort of apron and parking area too.  It wouldn't take that much to add it to what already exists...

6 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

That would be extremely nice. I'd like to see some sort of apron and parking area too.  It wouldn't take that much to add it to what already exists...

Well there is a small apron outside the SPH.  I mean, I wouldn't expect it to be a international airport.  Just, turning a large plane around on the runway is a PITR

EDIT: Don't get me wrong though, a 0/18 runway would also be very nice.  I don't know that we need 3 of them, or 3 launch pads, that may be a little extreme.

Edited by Alshain

29 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The Los Santos International Airport in Grand Theft Auto V had 3 runways, two parallel and one perpendicular to the other two and slightly smaller than the other two. So it's common in both real life and gaming.

wat

If you want an actual real life example, try Kingsford Smith International Airport.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

But what of the other ideas?

I think 3 of each is extreme.  A 0/18 runway would be nice for polar launches but, a separate launchpad for polar launches isn't really needed a rocket starts by going straight up and can turn any direction it needs to.  Your '90 Degree' runway is mislabeled, that is a 0/18 runway (i.e. 0 degrees/180 degrees)  the one we already have is a 09/27 (i.e. 90/270).  That's what those numbers painted on the runway mean.

Real airfields, like my hometown commuter airport have runways because of wind.  Craft can be redirected to a more favorable approach.  For KSP there is no wind, though taking off on polar would still be a good idea.

6 minutes ago, stibbons said:

wat

If you want an actual real life example, try Kingsford Smith International Airport.

What are you confused about?

6 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I think 3 of each is extreme.  A 0/18 runway would be nice for polar launches but, a separate launchpad for polar launches isn't really needed a rocket starts by going straight up and can turn any direction it needs to.  Your '90 Degree' runway is mislabeled, that is a 0/18 runway (i.e. 0 degrees/180 degrees)  the one we already have is a 09/27 (i.e. 90/270).  That's what those numbers painted on the runway mean.

Real airfields, like my hometown commuter airport have runways because of wind.  Craft can be redirected to a more favorable approach.  For KSP there is no wind, though taking off on polar would still be a good idea.

Well Ofc you can launch any direction and you don't need more than one, this is for realism, preference and verity. 

As to the mislabeling- as long as you get the point.

25 minutes ago, stibbons said:

What I quoted. GTAV is not real life.

I said in real life and in video games.

if you look at where I mentioned GTAV, the sentence after its mention says "So it's common in both real life and gaming."

@ZooNamedGames:  Since you asked about opinions on your suggestions, I will share my two cents.

Parallel Runway: Totally not needed. The KSC is, after all, a space center. A parallel runway for the sake of having another one really serves no purpose. If you need another 0/18 runway... I think it would be nice to have the old KSC elevated and made somewhat available, much like the island runway is.

Perpendicular Runway: I can understand your desire to have a second runway at the KSC; but why not make it appear to lend itself to the evolution of the space center. I am not opposed (actually like) the idea of having a perpendicular runway that's considered derelict/abandoned and marked with "X" as was done in the early 1940s and 1950s to indicate runways no longer maintained or in use.  Or even maybe a small light duty runway connected to the KSC through proper taxiways and aprons.

Additional launch towers: I agree with the others who have said these aren't needed. Again, if it is for aesthetic purposes, I can understand having a derelict tower or maybe a small pad for launching .625 diameter rockets. There's really no need to have three operating launch towers.

Some additional ideas: If there were things I would like to see added to the KSC besides taxiways and aprons here's a list:

• A couple of hangers off of a taxiway and apron that are open, much like the hangers on the Island Airbase.
  • A fueling stand where with the use of KAS, you can get unlimited fuel (liquid, LFO, and mono propellant) to refuel craft.
  • Redo the old KSC site to where the runway (At least) is visible and usable. IF possible, bring back the launch tower and other buildings. 

Have to agree with @adsii1970 here. Most seem like aesthetics more than function and there would be things you can do add both function and aesthetics. Also agree Extra hangers with an overhead crane and payload spawn point would be very cool.

If they added proper taxiways to the airstrip then maybe the spawn point for the runway could be the hardstand in front of the SPH hanger. Then we could just taxi to which ever end we want or just take the risk we only need half the runway to get up to speed. I'll concede this might be a medium difficultly and above  change. Would also help if revert to launch had a way to ignore taxi time and bring you back to location you are really launching from.

4 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

Would also help if revert to launch had a way to ignore taxi time and bring you back to location you are really launching from.

Good news, that part has already been implemented, it's called quicksave :wink:

27 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Good news, that part has already been implemented, it's called quicksave :wink:

Although it would be nice if you can duck back the SPH fix some issue then come back to the quicksave point with the revised craft. However that is a different discussion altogether.

I don't think more launch pads are needed. As long as the career upgrade scheme is a thing (every upgrade makes it hold higher sizes/weights) there's no need to have a few of them. Another runway (with a ramp maybe?) would be a good thing though.

And about the swamp: I'd prefer a rover testing grounds tbh. I understand the nostalgia, but I think the pond by the admin building might be a reference to that swamp thing from the earliest versions of the game.

56 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

(with a ramp maybe?)

And about the swamp: I'd prefer a rover testing grounds tbh. I understand the nostalgia, but I think the pond by the admin building might be a reference to that swamp thing from the earliest versions of the game.

A ramp is as likely as them adding BDA to the stock game.

As to the rover testing grounds- you've got like 30 square kilometers of peninsula- YOU ALREADY HAVE IT, and if it's too flat- head a short jaunt west and you enter the highlands. You have everything you need, so the swamp would do more.

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

A ramp is as likely as them adding BDA to the stock game.

How did you come to conclusion that a ramp is similar to BDA?

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

As to the rover testing grounds- you've got like 30 square kilometers of peninsula- YOU ALREADY HAVE IT, and if it's too flat- head a short jaunt west and you enter the highlands. You have everything you need, so the swamp would do more.

Thanks for the pr0 tip, but I still think that it would be more useful than two additional launch platforms.

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

How did you come to conclusion that a ramp is similar to BDA?

Thanks for the pr0 tip, but I still think that it would be more useful than two additional launch platforms.

It isn't similar, I was making an ironic statement. Basically- they will add in a ramp at the same time as they add in BDA (which is never since they specifically said they will never add it).

Each one has its own unqiue purpose as well as adding realism so I disagree.

The realism argument for multiple pads doesn't hold much water without also extensively modifying the crawlerway. Certainly having intact rockets rolled across the runway is absurd.

Personally, I don't see any need for multiple launch pads. I like the idea of more approach options for runway landings though.

While in real life it makes sense to have different launch pads designed for different launch vehicles... there is nothing in KSP making a launch pad launch vehicle specific. There's no pad prep time, or time to prepare a vehicle in the VAB and roll it out, and thus no need for multiple launch pads.

It adds flavor, but for a game already hard on system resources, I'd say no.

A 0/18 runway could be nice, but a 90 degree turn after takeoff/before landing isn't so hard.

I'd much rather have a second launch complex far away from KSC, than any expansions to KSC

add a runway to KSC2, and let us purchase it

I'd like to see the perpendicular runway, and an option to start at any of the four ends of the runways.  Taxiways and an apron/ramp area would also be good.

I'd also love to see a large desert lakebed airfield.  Miles of smooth, flat, hard ground for testing out aircraft or landing spaceplanes, with a few runways marked out, maybe a giant compass rose painted on the ground.

Why do we need multiple pads when you can only launch one rocket at a time, and the pad is available for the next launch straight away? This would only make sense if they implemented some kind of reconditioning time a'la KCT (which I would love, but will never happen.)

A 18/36 runway would be nice, but not essential. We don't need another runway for launching 270, we just need the ability to start on runway 27.

20 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Why do we need multiple pads when you can only launch one rocket at a time, and the pad is available for the next launch straight away?

Roleplaying having a rescue launch standing by, STS-3xx style.  And cool screenshots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.