How do fairing struts in 1.1 work? [Solved]

In the release notes of V1.1.1 there was mentioned, that wheels now have "auto struts [...], similar to fairing struts".

Are those fairing struts noticable somehow? Because I'm unsure if I now still have to stut up my payloads in fairings, or if they get added "magically"
when loading the craft onto the launch pad.
How are those things working in V1.1.2?

Edited by Cairol
solved

So no one has noticed the advertised auto-struts for the fairings?
Hm. Guess I'll have to put it to the test then with a long multi-docking-port thing stapled in the fairing while doing wild maneuvers during ascent.
If it looks like this while being in the fairing, there is still something wrong. We'll see.

yow8UP6.png

tl;dr: They work.

I tested the auto strutting inside fairings during the prerelease, and was among the many who found that they vanished during one of the releases and then were re-added.

My test craft was an orange tank on a stick (i-beam) held sideways by launch stability clamps. No fairings, the orange tank went way down. Fairings, it held firm.

Except when they were disabled by accident, and then the orange tank clipped outside the fairings.

Here's a pic from when it was broken. I didn't make one for when it was fixed because - well - you don't report fixed bugs :)

fairingnostruts.jpg

On 5/20/2016 at 7:02 AM, Cairol said:

Are those fairing struts noticable somehow? Because I'm unsure if I now still have to stut up my payloads in fairings, or if they get added "magically"

You don't see them. So I suppose in that sense, they are magically added. They're there to help prevent having to jump through hoops to attach payload to the fairing, since the fairing itself can't be attached to. As 5thHorseman noted, they were broken for a bit, but should (hopefully) be working now. I do recall reading some reports of mixed results, but that might be from back when they weren't working as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.