[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

On 3/18/2017 at 8:15 PM, blackheart612 said:

I'd like to have some inputs. Currently, I may have to purify/change one audio because of a small annoying sound when looping. Most of the sounds are fine though.

Quoting this because people might not bother looking at last page and I'd like to see if others have complaints on something like this.

Anyway, I know I said I'd remake the nosecone but I got distracted. Badly. This time, it's bad. This was so difficult to make. It's such a pain in the behind. I don't know why. May just be because I stopped for a while. But still...

BhSbxln.png8nsjTHp.png

Collider needs to be hollow, need to fix the config of animation; it works but it's reversed. And we're not even talking about IVA yet or where I'm gonna put the hatch.

@NeoFatalis It's because it wouldn't fit. One would be the interior is different from the exterior. Second is overlay would look totally different, and if the interior was much bigger, it 's going to show up outside, clipping the exterior. Third is, from what I know, IVAs are pretty much fixed, couldn't be moved around, so where the windows are would probably not where the IVA would be. Fourth is there will be mismatches on the overlay to the exterior (which is kind of related to the second reason).

Those engines are really nice, and it sounds like a real engine, 10cm away from your face (dunno if that's a good thing, probably yes)

The modeling and textures on the new cockpit look awesome, but maybe that ramp is a bit too steep. Not sure though, I can't really test it :P

@Krux To sound like that is the goal. Hopefully it's not too loud and not obviously repetitive. I've changed it a bit to tone down the repetitive parts on loop. Moving on, the ramp is quite steep. I don't like how the gears in KSP are so tall. Such a compact ramp can't keep up with the stock one so it's made like that. Thankfully, once I get to fixing up the animation configs, it will be possible to clamp it to a certain degree (not fully deploy) so that it won't be as steep.

5 minutes ago, Krux said:

Those engines are really nice, and it sounds like a real engine, 10cm away from your face (dunno if that's a good thing, probably yes)

The modeling and textures on the new cockpit look awesome, but maybe that ramp is a bit too steep. Not sure though, I can't really test it :P

ISTR that the front ramp on the C-5 is longer because it folds. Each part is half the length and there's (maybe) a third part about a quarter as long as the first two that actually touches the ground when it is extended. I'll go find a pic. *looks* Hey! I found a video of one deploying the front ramp. It starts at about the 2:10 mark.

@SSgt Baloo That is exactly what I needed. Thank you. I was so occupied in trying to make it work that I didn't think to reference how it actually works. Because as you can see, it's fitted to the Mk3 so I can't follow the blueprint dimensions. I was actually pretty discontent on how it looked. It was so tiring to make but the ramp looked like poop. Was on the verge of giving up. Was already asking myself it the part was worth it :P I'll probably rest for a bit then get back to it.

Yep, the folding ramp makes it longer, so the angle is not as steep. Also, the stock landing gear is *really* tall, specially the big ones. That's why I use ALG, this way you don't need to cover so much distance between the plane and the ground, so the angle is more optimal.

It looks like if you hinged a second ramp to the end of the first, that might give you all the length you need. Also, if the ramp supports the weight of the aircraft, the person building the plane can just extend the ramp and have the front gear bound to an action group with it so he can extend the ramp to the ground and simultaneously raise the front gear, similar to how the C-5 does it.

Edited by SSgt Baloo
Edited for clarity.

22 minutes ago, FlyHighAviator said:

This has probs been asked before, but is there any chance of you making landing gear? Like the 737 with the gear that folds into the fuselage: 737 Gear extension.

love the C5/AN225 cockpit though!

I know that this mod got landing gear that folds to the side (it's a continuation of ALG which is way better than the stock gear)

7 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

I know that this mod got landing gear that folds to the side (it's a continuation of ALG which is way better than the stock gear)

I have that mod. The only quibble I had with it is that you have to add separate landing lights. Since I downloaded a parts pack with some useful lighting, it's become a barely significant factor.

2 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I have that mod. The only quibble I had with it is that you have to add separate landing lights. Since I downloaded a parts pack with some useful lighting, it's become a barely significant factor.

File a bug-report on the KerbalFoundries repository regarding that (missing landing lights) and I'll see about getting them added back onto the parts.  I think that is one of those features that got missed during the reworking of those parts (I never used the originals, so had no knowledge of what features were originally present).  --There is a spot on the legs for an emissive animation for the light, easy enough to add in the light transforms and a bit of plugin code to toggle it on/off/change colors (or perhaps can use the stock modules).

1 hour ago, mechanicH said:

@FlyHighAviator @NeoFatalis  KF has that gear configurations but its a single wheel on it, i think it is meant for smaller craft. Hopefully @Shadowmage has enough spare time and will make one that has double wheel (A320) and a triple wheel (B777). But KF and AP is for sure the best thing to even happen to airplanes in this game. 

:)
Open up a bug report / feedback ticket regarding the multi-wheel side-folding landing gear, and I'll see what I can do.  Probably at least a few weeks out, but depending on if I can re-use some of the other existing models (with changes), they might not take too long.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Airplane Plus thread :wink:

31 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I've seen people mention that they're going to see how various things in this pack work with FAR but I don't recall anyone ever reporting back. No news is good news?

I had great results with FAR.... Until FAR never updated for 1.2.2... I miss it.

1 minute ago, kiwinanday said:

I had great results with FAR.... Until FAR never updated for 1.2.2... I miss it.

Well, I know how to install the dev version I'm just not in a position to get around to doing it yet. But thanks, your answer is promising. I don't expect the new FAR version to behave much differently in regard to these parts compared to the current release.

I was about to post when KSP forums went down for maintenance, then later on, electricity was cut so I couldn't post... Anyway.

@SSgt Baloo Again, thanks for the vid! It's been going pretty well since I saw that reference.

giphy.gif

@FlyHighAviator As much as I'd like to make landing gears, I have little to no idea how to make landing gears using stock modules. And just as they recommend, Kerbal Foundries is a great place to get landing gears. If I knew how to make landing gears without plugins, I guarantee you, I'll make one immediately. :) 

@kiwinanday I actually like them. If only we can embed albums. Then you can continually make on in one album and I'll display them in the OP...

PS, the animation is already clamped. It's still at a 45 degree angle by default. But I fixed the animation in the configs so angles are adjustable from 0 to 45.

That's much better, looks so nice! Is that the actual speed? Looks kinda fast for an airplane ramp. Also, are the cockpit and the ramp two separate parts, or are them the same part?

@Krux It is the actual speed. I can slow it down but I'm just lazy. It's not tedious so I can slow it down anyhow :P And of course the cockpit and ramp are same part, separating them will just add an unnecessary step in building it, right? 

@qromodynmc I made a better one, fully based on F-22 Raptor's nosecone. It looks much less like your illustration. Here's a pic and a bonus gif. Something's in it (which is almost impossible if you tried making it). :) 

qGqOcuo.pnggiphy.gif