[1.4.x-1.8.x] Airplane Plus - R26.4 (Fixed issues/Github is up to date) (Dec 21, 2019)

blackheart612

@theonegalen The bell cockpit's internalcamera collider is also sized down. Since that view is kinda useless anyway. Just to see the center. But anyway, as you can probably see in the video, there are clickables on it too, I put some without needing action groups, it can be just clicked on the cockpit. Of course, nowhere as good as your cockpits. But I try to improve em. The RPM is shown on the part info if right click, when trying to shutdown or activate an engine. It has kind of like the Thrust Limiter but RPM to 1000 instead of that. The whole idea is still largely experimental, might be unbalanced but that's where we are going to start. I'm really proud of how stable using helicopters has become.

Edit: I wanted to make my own, stockalike tachometer but I got lazy. Maybe next time I will, who knows. :P 

Edited by blackheart612

1 minute ago, kiwinanday said:

@blackheart612 y'all are too kind

@theonegalen/blackheart it should be labeled "None - Some - Many - All - TOO MUCH"

Also, there can never be too much.

@theonegalen Actually, remember FSEngine used for my rotors right now before the next patch? That's supposed to be used for the piston props to have proper RPMs. I'm tempted but I won't since it's harder to use the curves with FSEngine.

1 minute ago, blackheart612 said:

@theonegalen Actually, remember FSEngine used for my rotors right now before the next patch? That's supposed to be used for the piston props to have proper RPMs. I'm tempted but I won't since it's harder to use the curves with FSEngine.

I know AJE propellers also have prop pitch settings, too, but I don't know if it's available in an API. Too bad we can't assign things like that to joystick axes, it would make using throttle quadrant peripherals in KSP worth it!

Alright, small update. After testing the parts, I realized just how important SAS is. Not wanting to put it on the rotor itself, I made an Mk1 Stabilizer. It's weaker than the stock Advanced Stabilizer, lighter, and more expensive. Something that you don't really want to use unless you want the control and the aesthetics.

4CacKFA.png3oIZPRW.png

Yes, it's a drone core with the drone removed and yes, the new engines can hover upside down.

call me stupid... but what are the flat pieces for? the bottom picture? it seems like i should know this, but...

and btw... "yes, the new engines can hover upside down..." just call it reverse pitch and say its on purpose. cant find the video but the army has(had) a stunt pilot that can invert a uh-1 for extended time frames, lol

Edited by argentrolf

ok, i get the feeling this should be a question for firespitters thread, but since it has to do with the parts here... how do i fly a helicopter? i got the rotors balanced over the CoM... got the control rotor in place and pointed the right way... but it spins out (not counter-rotating, i checked that already) and rolls over, not to mention the max throttle just to lift off...  really dont want to add ANOTHER mod just to use the copters (pc is at its limit already...)

18 hours ago, argentrolf said:

ok, i get the feeling this should be a question for firespitters thread, but since it has to do with the parts here... how do i fly a helicopter? i got the rotors balanced over the CoM... got the control rotor in place and pointed the right way... but it spins out (not counter-rotating, i checked that already) and rolls over, not to mention the max throttle just to lift off...  really dont want to add ANOTHER mod just to use the copters (pc is at its limit already...)

The roll might be due to a slightly unbalanced CoM due to the control rotor, so try adding a balancing weight on the other side like a vertical stabiliser 

Release 16

So it's here, mostly experimental but works quite well. I'd like to know what people who like to use the rotorwings think. Expect the performance to be not very categorized or balanced. It's hard to operate with a different module, but this one's better when use in the game. Together with the new IVAs, it should improve how aircrafts handle even just a little bit. By the way, this is supposedly kind of half update to 1.3 and half an actual update. So the contents are quite small. Formal changelog which is also on the OP:

Revised the way all helicopter rotors work, now with hovering (not for use with tandem rotors)*

Revised most of the IVAs other than Size 2 cockpits that isn't Viewer's as well as Mk3 (includes click-able IVA props, working instrument display)

Added Mk1 Inline Stabilizer for use with stabilizing VTOL aircrafts

*Revision will likely break the way it worked before, thrust reversals are removed, the functions are changed, etc.

--

Updated Firespitter to fix the sound only playing in one channel (working on lowering the volume of parts if I remember)

Updated Firespitter also fixed the missing CoT when using rotorwings

----

I've also updated the OP, since the FS sounds are fixed, I've changed it into FAQs. Questions I encounter the most in this tried or important info. I'll update it if I remember more. I'm skipping the logos yet again as I plan to revise them suddenly ( @kiwinanday )

Anyway, I hope the new update's fun.

---

A look at the new rotors. Also on OP

s94c589.png

@argentrolf The helicopter rotors are now revised, see if your woes get fixed. I don't know why your craft rolls, presumably a flight control plug-in misjudging the FSEngine. But if you're talking about pitching upward, it's likely because of having too much thrust, known problem of VTOLs for me, I put it in the FAQs just now.

Edit: @TMasterson5

Edited by blackheart612

@blackheart612, @Skylon, thank you, ill check the CoM, and actually its a roll to the left (CR-side)and then a counter-spin to the right, followed by a pitch nose-up and a counter-clockwise spin... if it was a real helicopter, id say it was a bad rotor pitch control and out of sync tail unit (not enough power at first, then too much)... but what you said makes sense. ill take a look and give a heads up. it could just be that im bad at flying in atmo in this game, lol

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

I actually can't use the rotors, the rotor is at full power but doesn't produce thrust, there is fuel and intake air so am i missing something?

It doesn't produce 'thrust', the blades are spinning wings that generate lift. If you look at it, it will have 0 thrust but it will be able to lift a craft as long as it's light enough for the rotor.

Just as a reference point does anyone know how much the rotors can actually lift? For example the Gemini rotor (the very big one) can't lift my 7 ton craft at 200 rpm and can't actually go past 400 rpm but the helicopter is somewhat controllable in flight.

And im also encountering a strange bug, when i set the Gemini rotor on that craft in hover mode the helicopter just drops.

Also could you make the helicopter skids TweakScale compatible?