Nostalgia thread

awfulhumanbeing

Let's talk about nostalgia & past.

What are the most nostalgic games/movies/books you know? What were you doing in your childhood? Also, just talk about your past. 

Well, my favorite game is Conker's Bad Fur Day on Nintendo 64. Huh, it's actually an adults' game. Maybe that's why I liked it at the age of 14 :D

I was a huge fan of horror movies, just as any child whatsoever. The Alien was my favorite, but the old Hammer and Universal were more funny than horrifying. These are classic.

I didn't read books as much, but was quite fond of Sherlock Holmes stuff. Read nearly all of it.

So what's your stuff? Share!

Back in good ol 2005, I was playing video games...with the ability to use cheat codes! Yes, video games with cheat codes and no dlc, that was a thing. I still have my PS2 and all my games (James Bond 007: Nightfire, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Ratchet and Clank, Driver 3, etc.), but I can't get it to work.

I read pretty much all of the Tintin books when I was a kid. And for a few years as a little kid in the mid-70's I lived in a tiny mining town called Tasu on a tiny island in southern Haida Gwaii, then known as the Queen Charlotte Islands. The town was razed when the mine closed down years and years ago, but I'd love to go back someday.

I've been playing Doom a bit recently. No, not the new, unhelpfully-titled game, but the original. It runs quite good with the original .WAD file and a source port like ZDoom.

I'd forgotten how many bloody Cacodemons were in Mt. Erebus on Ultraviolent difficulty. :P Had to look it up: 22. Really? Seemed like more! They swarm you at several points in that level.

Games I'm nostalgic about, eh?

Well there was Adventure on the old Atari. That game was amazing, and still is if you can find a playable remake. Several exist out there.

Then on the Apple //c I really loved both Elite (The original wireframe. no polygons for me!) and Lode Runner.

For IBM Clones (I could also get nostalgic about that phrase) the big winner was Rogue. It was so great it got its own genre, and that genre is so great it got ITS own genre. And it's still among my favorite types of game to this day.

When you say "DOS games" I think of 2 big ones: Doom 2 and Carmageddon. Doom was the first game I made levels for (and the first time I played remote multiplayer. Over a MODEM!) and Carmageddon was just amazing fun for hours.

Windows games I loved in the past include Stars! (Exclamation mark is part of the name), Unreal Tournament, Grand Theft Auto (Esp. Vice City), and of course Counterstrike. Stars! was my first (and last) love in the 4X genre. UT2K4 is the only game I've bought 3 times for myself (Original, again when I lost the install disc, and again on Steam because it was dirt cheap). GTA was the first game I first pirated and then bought (I've bought all of those except the most recent 2 twice since pirating the original. GTA4 I bought once, and 5 not at all. I'm feeling a bit burned out on that genre. FTR I pirate nothing these days because I understand that if I like the game and don't pay for it, it's one less incentive for people to make those types of games). Counterstrike was nothing less than a phenomenon.

Nintendo? I'm so nostalgic for Mario Kart that I still buy the current ones even though they're just remakes of the old tracks. Though the last one I bought was for the original Wii, as I gave up on the whole company when the Wii-U was announced. I also played a LOT of Tony Hawk games on that system.

I consider the XBox 360 a bit too "new" to be capable of nostalgia, so will refrain from anything I've played from that point on. Plus, holy cow this post got long. :D

Edited by 5thHorseman

For nostalgia I'll relate some bits about my first exposure to computers:

WE didn't have a computer for most of my childhood. When I was growing up the 486 was the sort of computer that was standard. A few of my friends had PCs but my Dad is an early adopter in the worst sense in that he actually never adopts anything, always waiting for the next thing to come out, "We'll get a computer next year, when they release the *pentium* chip!", "We'll get a computer next year, when they release the Pentium III!".

I suspect that this was not just reverse-early-adoption, but also various "adult" issues that they, being excellent parents, naturally kept from me, me being single-figures years old at the time (who can tell exactly how old they are in their, memories? I can't).

BUT my Dad did have a work laptop, a Compaq 286, with a 2MB harddisk and a whopping 640kb of RAM, greyscale screen and no mouse whatsoever. It also weighed about 40kg and I think it could stop a car if you left it in the road. It was a little smaller and a little thicker than a classic briefcase. And dense as all heck.

Eventually this laptop was retired and became "my" computer, a massive revelation for little old me. Little did my parents know what was starting. They didn't know how to use a computer really, Dad just knew work stuff, Mum knew..,nothing I think. I also didn't know anything, but was entirely unhindered by the fear of pressing any buttons at all, and mostly was able to just tinker with this ancient laptop.

It didn't have windows, it had something called, IIRC, "CONDUCTR". It didn't have any games, the only programs that it had was some "Lotus" software of some kind, WordPerfect word processor and some kind of drawing program (equivalent of MS Paint). Mostly I would play with the drawing program, it was finicky, only having the arrow keys to control the cursor, but it was fun to pass the time, perhaps sketching some crude blobs using the circle tool.

Eventually a few floppy disks from the cover of PC magazines from friends or wherever found their way to me, sometimes I would have no idea what was on them as I had not yet figured out how to view the contents of a disk. I learned from trial and error a few DOS commands (like literally trial and error, do you know how long it took me to learn "C:\"?) and eventually found that most floppy disks had a "Setup.exe" and wouldn't you know it, that worked most of the time! I think the first game I unlocked in this way was something like "Serious Sam"? Was a bit like the early Duke Nukems.

That early experience of having this strange and mysterious "box from dads work" to fiddle with at random was the first seed of all of my computer related interests and abilities.

In the years following, the internet finally arrived (although we were slow to hop on that wagon too), actually having to enter a phone number so that the 28.8kbps modem knew how to connect to AOL. Remember those "500 hours free!!!" floppies and CDs that came through your letterbox twice a week?

Dads work laptop was upgraded to a Toshiba with a pentium 133MHz CPU, on which I played the first games I actually owned, namely Quake (Scary!) and Total Annihilation (freakin awesome!).

The first computer that our family owned, was the laptop which in their extreme generosity, my parents bought me for university. A really nice Dell Inspiron with a 1600*1200 monitor (very high for the time, still quite good even for today and this was, ooh, 14 years ago?) nvidia graphics card and some other bells and whistles.

After that, the rest is history, bought my own desktop just out of university and have upgraded many times since and now having a computer is a part of being me. It may not always be the same computer (due to upgrades or replacements) but it is always *my computer*. Its like having another sense, its more than a gameplaying platform [though that is largely all I use it for] its one of the tools I use to interact with the world, even as I use it to escape from it.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been listening to 2000-2011's music recently, and I've been drowning in nostalgia.

Back when music was good...

Also:

650x300xits-now-safe-to-turn-off-your-co

Edited by Guest

On May 23, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Tex Mechs Robot said:

Nostalgia for me is Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor. This is the game that I was playing through college and is the reason I'm finally completing my degree...15 years later...

Not as good as HoMM 3!

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Ah, memories.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

on 3.5 floppies!

I remember how great it was when I finally got a computer with a 3.5 floppy drive.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Who played games on audio cassettes?

I still have the tapes in a drawer somewhere, along with the ZX-81 that used them.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get it working last time I tried.

4 minutes ago, razark said:

I still have the tapes in a drawer somewhere, along with the ZX-81 that used them.

Sadly, I wasn't able to get it working last time I tried.

Good pieces of video game history...

I personally own the NES with the U-force, SuperScope and PowerGlove.

Games I'm nostalgic for? Oh dear. 

First computer we ever had was an Apple II+. Games I played to death on that were Guadalcanal Campaign, Olympic Decathlon (with Bruce Jenner! Ha!), and The Warp Factor. Also played a lot of Ultima. 

Second computer I had was a Commodore 64. Favorite games on that were Combat Leader, Chopper Command, M.U.L.E., and Seven Cities of Gold. 

Then I got an Amiga when I was in the Navy. Favorites on that were F/A-18 Interceptor, F-117 Stealth Fighter, Sim City, and Red Storm Rising. 

After I got out of the Navy I got my first Windows PC. Played a lot of Civ and Civ II. X-Wing chewed up a lot of time too. 

On 22/05/2016 at 0:27 PM, CAKE99 said:

Warzone 2100, it's one of the first video games I remember playing, it's free BTW.

Oh, wow. I used to play that. I remember being utterly amazed by the game having fully 3D infantry units. Of course, they were some kind of robotic suit things to explain away why you could only have a few rather than full squads of infantry, but it was pretty amazing nonetheless. Being able to construct vehicles out of different parts was pretty neat too, and exactly what drew me to KSP years later.

Although I'm too young to be nostalgic, I do enjoy reading vintage Scientific American magazines. We inherited stacks of them from the late 50's to the early 80's from someone; I dunno who.
Anyway, it's pretty interesting to see adverts for "Fully Transistorized!" right next to "Most Reliable Vacuum Tube Yet!" The articles on physics are pretty cool too. "New 'charmed' quark discovered!" The authors of those articles were the actual scientists involved, as well, which makes for a nice change from the game of telephones media has made of science as of late. The lax emissions standards show, too. There were cars advertised with ~50 miles to the gallon!

And, my lord, the number of whiskey ads. I think there was one issue I counted no less than twelve of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.