Saved games don't show in menu

Hello, I have a stock 1.1.2 x64 installation on Windows 7 64-bit, and I can't see any save files (either ones that I copy in, or any new ones that I create).

I copied some saved games from another stock installation into the Saves folder, and now I can't see ANY saved games at all.  Even if I create a new game, play it and save it, it won't show up in the main menu after I quit and relaunch the game.  Nothing shows up in the "Load Game" box, it's completely blank.  But when I check the Saves folder, every time I make a new game it DOES show up in the folder.

Here is the Build ID and log files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7P5dhGg6O4MlRhV0pfQzNCaTA/view?usp=sharing

Can someone point me in the direction of what's wrong?

Thank you!

Hi tsaven,

Would you mind attaching one of the savegame folders that's been created but not showing, together with at least one that you have imported?

Does this also happen if you remove the imported saves and simply attempt to create a new game?

Edited by Squelch

7 hours ago, Squelch said:

Hi tsaven,

Would you mind attaching one of the savegame folders that's been created but not showing, together with at least one that you have imported?

Does this also happen if you remove the imported saves and simply attempt to create a new game?

Squelch, I appreciate the reply but I believe I tracked it down to a corrupted persistent safe file in one of the saves that was copied over.  Deleting it and reloading it from a quicksave allowed me to keep my Career game going, and allowed all the other saves to show up.

Thank you!

@tsaven

Actually, if you still happen to have that save, it might be helpful for us so that we can fix this from happening again.

For reference, here are the applicable errors. (Might be a missing or uninstalled part.)

Cheers,
~Claw

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (.ConfigNode node, .ProtoVessel protoVessel, .Game st) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ProtoVessel..ctor (.ConfigNode node, .Game st) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at FlightState..ctor (.ConfigNode rootNode, .Game game) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Game..ctor (.ConfigNode root) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at GamePersistence.LoadGameCfg (.ConfigNode node, System.String saveName, Boolean nullIfIncompatible, Boolean suppressIncompatibleMessage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at GamePersistence.LoadGame (System.String filename, System.String saveFolder, Boolean nullIfIncompatible, Boolean suppressIncompatibleMessage) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at LoadGameDialog.PersistentLoadGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at LoadGameDialog.Create (.FinishedCallback onDismiss, System.String directory, Boolean persistent, .UISkinDef skin) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at MainMenu.LoadGame () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at TextButton3D+<OnMouseTap>c__IteratorA8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[UIApp] OnDestroy: MessageSystem

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 64)

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:get_transform ()

at KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.GetModListSize () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.ScaleModList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.RemoveApplication (KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton button) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KSP.UI.Screens.UIApp.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

7 hours ago, Claw said:

@tsaven

Actually, if you still happen to have that save, it might be helpful for us so that we can fix this from happening again.

For reference, here are the applicable errors. (Might be a missing or uninstalled part.)

Cheers,
~Claw

Sure, I think this is the save that was corrupting things: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7P5dhGg6O4QzRJdDlTZ2NDLUk/view?usp=sharing

From looking into it more, it appears this was from a modded install, so that would explain the missing parts.  But I would think that the game should be able to at least show all the other proper/normal saves, and just skip over (or show, but with an error) files that it sees as corrupted.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the save @tsaven

We have recently introduced more measures to protect against corrupt saves and identify how mods can affect them, however, it looks like you have uncovered a situation where this isn't quite working as it should. The combination of the log and the save helps us track the problem down, and is indeed due to a reference to a part that doesn't exist as Claw suggested.

I'm pleased that you were able to isolate it, both for your continued career game and our fault finding. 

Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.