The Great Canadian Kerbal Toss (AKA: How to Build a Counter-Thrust Trebuchet in KSP)

If it falls within the rules I'll allow it

Just remember no thrust can be directly applied to your Kerbal or anything your kerbal is sitting on/in ... the force used to propel your Kerbal must be transfered through some fashion of swing arm

Decided to try to do it without using rockets. The result is a gigantic machine that destroys itself when it fires, and also destroys the runway. Managed to throw a kerbal in a capsule about 840 meters from the support clamps

6 hours ago, maccollo said:

Decided to try to do it without using rockets. The result is a gigantic machine that destroys itself when it fires, and also destroys the runway. Managed to throw a kerbal in a capsule about 840 meters from the support clamps

That is awesome ... Unfortunately your Kerbal didn't survive nor did you plant a flag so we can't tell what the actual distance is

Your Kerbal must survive the launch as well as the landing

Added a proper release mechanism so that my kerbal could climb down and plant a flag. Also balanced the swing arm a bit better.
This time my kerbal survived, and landed 1167 meters from the flag.

Edited by maccollo

On 2016-05-26 at 0:05 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

Sorry, my bad ... I forgot that everything you do in KSP is supposed to be historically accurate :rolleyes:

Although we DID use cannons, didn't we?

23 hours ago, Jollyfellow said:

Just reached 1.9km with a glider!

I will upload the video shortly

That is just fantastic ... OP Updated

4 hours ago, maccollo said:

Refined my trebuchet a bit, making the flexible segment longer. Managed to throw the kerbal 1.5 km.

Now that is Determination ... OP Updated

@maccollo. You should make an extremely long flexible segment, put something like 10 3.75 meter tanks at the end. Then, use hangar extender to put it really high up, use KAS or infernal robotics to bend it backwards to its limits, and release. Maybe add some rocket assist.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

@maccollo. You should make an extremely long flexible segment, put something like 10 3.75 meter tanks at the end. Then, use hangar extender to put it really high up, use KAS or infernal robotics to bend it backwards to its limits, and release. Maybe add some rocket assist.

I'm not allowing mods for this challenge at this point ... Likely in the future but stock is good for now

On 6/2/2016 at 9:32 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm not allowing mods for this challenge at this point ... Likely in the future but stock is good for now

There is one mod I'd like to recommend. Time Control (github link). I found it on the forums somewhere, and it allows you to slow down time. Otherwise timing is very very hard. (for me at least)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.