The Dres debate thread.

max_creative

10 hours ago, Frybert said:

As long as it's kept to forum games (specifically this one) it's all good. Let's just not let it spread please (and please report it if it does.)

A forum game is just the right place.  What bothers me is it being literally everywhere else. Hopefully there will be less of that in the future.

Dres is the fifth planet in the Kerbol star system. It is located between Duna and Jool in a somewhat eccentric and inclined orbit. It is considered to be the Ceres analog for the game. It is similar to Moho and Eeloo in that it has no atmosphere and no natural satellites (aside from a ring system of asteroids). Dres has the least gravity of any planet in the Kerbol system. Dres is considered a dwarf planet by the game because it has not "cleared its neighborhood"; in other terms, it has asteroids in close proximity.

On 24/05/2016 at 5:24 PM, max_creative said:

PLEASE STOP CLUTTERING UP THE DRES AWARENESS THREAD WITH NON-DRES AWARENESS STUFF!!!

To be fair, @max_creative, most of the "cluttering" I've seen going on is the "Dres Awareness" spreading into other people's threads. Mission reports and other threads are getting spammed with THE BIGGEST TEXT EVER
and repeated requests of "please please please visit Dres" and I think that if that were to stop, maybe people would stop fighting back. What do you think?

On 6/21/2016 at 3:28 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

@cubinator,

Size 72 = C-F class asteroid. Around 600 meters wide. Unless the increase is exponential instead of linear...

Actually, I just checked, and it is exponential! About 4.5x the mass per letter. So, plug 9.5 (class a) into an exponential growth calculator, then add 72 as your time variable and 450% as the growth, you get...

1.9223711885e+54

*tries to convert into regular numbers*

or about 2 septendecillion tons of rock. At 0.2 tons per cubic meter, this gives us about 400 sexdecillion cubic meters of rock. Diameter of a sphere calculator?

9.14×1017 meter diameter. 914000000000000000 meters. 914000000000000 kilometers.
914 trillion kilometers. The diameter of all of the planets in the solar system (the real one) is about 400,000km. Rounding to make the problem easier, half a million kilometers.

It would take 1.8 billion solar system planet lineups to match this asteroid.

More?

Okay, what about AU? about 100 million miles is an AU, so this dresteroid is 9 million AU long.

More?

Light years?

142 light year wide dresteroid. Size 72, or class C-F.

Okay, I'm done now :D

Doesn't that make Dres a class 30?

14 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

Doesn't that make Dres a class 30?

Wait theres a dres debate thread and a dres awareness society thread. 

I have to say the rules of humans dont apply to kerbaldoom because everything is a tenth scale and roughly 1/10^0.5.. 

If you want to compare dres with something in the sol system  else you need to multiply its core characters.

Multiply its radius by 10

Multiply is mass by 3.16

Then compare. 

On 29/06/2016 at 9:08 AM, Deddly said:

To be fair, @max_creative, most of the "cluttering" I've seen going on is the "Dres Awareness" spreading into other people's threads. Mission reports and other threads are getting spammed with THE BIGGEST TEXT EVER
and repeated requests of "please please please visit Dres" and I think that if that were to stop, maybe people would stop fighting back. What do you think?

Yeah, lots of this.

Dres is TOTALLY real, you guyz. Was just hanging out there with Sasquatch and Loch Ness Monster. Coulda swore I saw Slender Man wandering around in the background.

BTW: the Loch Ness Monster was wondering if anyone could lend him tree fiddy.

I can say for certain that Dres is indeed real. The truth lies on the other side of the 4th Wall. Go to the KSP wiki. Dres is registered, and with exact measurements, which, I assure you, are NOT the same as the Mun's. If you still have doubts, it is literally based on Ceres, a very real celestial object. 

PROOF.

Edited by TopHeavy11
Typo.

Dres is not real. Neither is Kerbin, Mun, Duna, etc. It's just a game, guys. That Dres Does Not Exist video, while funny, is only a joke, a parody of the Bielefeld Conspiracy.

Social psychologist Henri Tajfel experimented with what he called the Minimal Group Paradigmn. What is the smallest thing that can trigger an "us vs them" attitude? His answer was basically anything, at all.

And let's face it, Dres is a rather nice planet considering its terrain. The color scheme is a nice set of greys, the heightmap is fairly interesting, and there's a really nice canyon which can be interesting to explore. It's not perfect--no stock body is--but it deserves neither the praise nor the hatred that it receives.

This joke had the potential to be funny and interesting. If each side of the story wasn't just repeating the same "Dres is real!" "Dres is a lie!" comments over and over again, but instead put up some "reasons," real or not, why Dres does or does not exist, then that would be interesting. But no, these groups of Dres deniers and Dres worshipers just parrot the same things over and over again. At least now it's finally got a place to stay outside of the main forum.

You know what, this is pointless. All you have to do is look a the wiki. Dres is there. If the developers remove Dres, it's no longer real. Until this, Dres is REAL. To end this senselessness in the game sub-forum, I summon @Red Iron Crown to move and/or delete this thread!

2 hours ago, PB666 said:

No, i was wondering which video @GregroxMun was refering to. Cause there are  two kinda of funny don't go to Dres videos. 

4 hours ago, PB666 said:

Which video this one:

or 

This one:

Well the Dres Doesn't Exist one is the Belifeil parody, the other one is just unrelated humor.

On 7/6/2016 at 1:49 PM, TopHeavy11 said:

it is literally based on Ceres

But if it was based on Ceres, it would be smaller than Minmus!

It's more than three times the size it should be!

That means Dres should be a shamless ripoff of Minmus but it isn't, it does that with the Mun!

Ok, to be honest, I got tired of the Dres thing a while ago, and I'm saying that I just want Dres to be realistically sized. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.