To our modders...

The_Rocketeer

I wish to share with you an experience I had today while playing KSP.

I recently started a new career using a number of mods to augment my KSP experience. Amongst them are KerbinSide Skyways and the GAP Contract Pack, which is why I happened to be flying half way around Kerbin in an atmospheric jetplane, aiming to deliver 4 VIKs (Very Important Kerbals) to a business meeting. Without Stock Bug Fix Modules I might very well have never gotten off the ground, especially with the first tier runway! But I did. Because I set off eastbound from KSC towards the end of Day One most of the flight had been in darkness, and despite leaving most of the piloting to Pilot Assistant, 75 minutes into the flight I was keen to cover the last few-hundred kilometers and touchdown at my destination.

I was cruising at 325m/s (that's around 727 mph) at 6500 meters, a little above the clouds courtesy of Environmental Visual Enhancements. Since the last mountain range, I hadn't seen any of the city lights below me - I guess this part of Kerbin is still pretty wild - so at first glance the general scenery wasn't too interesting; a lot of darkness, apart from my aircraft's cabin windows, and some looming mountains in the distance. Eventually, as the light of dawn was just beginning to stir ahead of me, I hopped inside the cockpit and used Raster Prop Monitor to plan my approach vector with NavUtilities ILS.

It was then when I returned to the external view, I saw THIS:

Spoiler

7DB87CBEC55E43CFE8F5672F7FE9435466E73DE0

Thanks to Distant Object Enhancement, which I had installed only on a whim at the suggestion of CKAN (by association to The Outer Planets), I saw the three planets, Eve, Moho and Duna (top to bottom), in a near alignment in front of me. Not only that, but the sharper eyed among you might also see a tiny speck a little below my left wing, which at the time was rapidly overtaking me - that is nothing more than Jeb's tiny 3-part capsule zooming past me in his 80,000m orbit. About 2 minutes after this, Sarnus also rose above the horizon, followed very shortly by the Sun, at which point the whole scene was transformed by solar glare and the planets faded from sight.

It was then that it occurred to me how mind-blowing what had just happened was - the number of people who, for absolutely no material reward and in whatever tiny little way, had somehow contributed to this moment of personal scenery-inspired awe; had just made my KSP day. (And this in 1.1.2, lauded as a thoroughly bugridden release!)

So, to modders in general and in particular @AlphaAsh and @medsouz, @inigma and @nightingale, @Claw, @Crzyrndm, @rbray89, @MOARdV, @kujuman, @pjf and @CaptRobau, as well as all your helpers, assistants and collaborators:

THANK YOU! You guys rock so hard!

This should probably in Add-On discussions...but cool! I thank them too.

Edit: Proud poster of the only post to survive the Great Snark Pruning of 2016.

Edited by teag2

Several posts have been pruned from this thread.  Let's keep it on-topic, folks.

This is a nice thread in which Rocketeer is kindly expressing gratitude to the hard-working modders who give him shiny toys to play with, for free.

Let's not turn it into a debate about other, unrelated threads.

And in general... if you see someone posting what looks off-topic to you, please don't respond-- just report the post and let the moderators take care of it.  It's what we're for.

Thanks for your understanding!

I haven't gotten deeply into mods, but I find KAC and Docking alignment indicator to be indispensable, quality of life, add-ons. I've also tinkered with Hyperedit to test my Eve Ascent vehicle, so that I didn't find out mid-mission it couldn't do the job. Finally, this play-thorough I've added some the planetary base mods, because the hitchhiker module just really isn't right for the job when you think about how it is oriented.

I think its amazing that the mod-makers are willing to devote so much of their free-time and effort to adding such great additions and improvements to the game. So, I'll add my thanks to The_Rocketeer to people to people doing so much for other peoples enjoyment. 

Onya Chaps and Chapettes.  

Mods are amazing creations. The majority of the mods I have downloaded are visual (or partially, like OPM and RasterPropMoniter), and that makes it quite easy to gather stellar pictures. Some examples almost all from my most-recent, current career (20% science, rep, and funds, but quicksaves/reverts allowed):

Thank YOU to all modders in existence who have contributed in making KSP stellar!

I'm not a big mod user myself. -  KER, KAC, EVE is about it atm. 

But the difference these, and other mods I have browsed, and am considering for future use (that many players are already using), can make to the overall KSP experience is amazing.

From making things just 'look nicer' to, adding things that maybe should/will be stock at some point, or expanding game play options and possibilities beyond the scope of the current stock game.

The variety and quality of their work should be noted and appreciated.  Whether or not we as individuals choose to use a given mod or not does not depreciate the time and effort the creator put into it.

KSP would really not be as entertaining, fun and creative without those mods out there.
That's why I bulked up > 50 now and I still find some that are simply awesome and really add to the worth and (re-)playability of the game.

So, full ACK from me about the OP's thoughts and KUDOS to all those guys that spend their free time doing what they do to contribute to the community. :)

Edited by Cairol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.