Devnote Tuesday: We’re back!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_o7p5vyD3zQ1rr2wit_540.jpg

Hello everyone!

It’s been three long weeks of vacation, and we’re ready to get back to work on Kerbal Space Program! Barring a few injuries (Squelch broke a finger during the holiday) there is nothing stopping us from diving right back in.

At the top of our agenda we find patch 1.1.3, which will be coming some time over the next few weeks. Despite the fact that a lot of effort went into making 1.1 and the subsequent patches as stable as possible we see that some of you are still having various crashing issues, amongst a few other things we want to resolve. Results indicate that at least one or two crashing issues have indeed been fixed already.

Next on the list is planning for update 1.2: this update will most likely contain a minor update of the Unity game engine which should fix various outstanding issues, more updates to the wheels, the implementation of some already announced features which didn’t make the 1.1 patch and various further items we’re looking into. We’re currently making an inventory of the most promising discussions from the community and seeing what we can bring to the game.

Finally, work is progressing nicely on the console versions of Kerbal Space Program: hopefully we can share good news on that front very soon™!

That’s it for this week, we’re still starting up but we look forward to sharing the outcome of our planning and the bug fixes in the coming weeks. As always, you can chat with us on our forums, on Twitter and Facebook, and on the KSP Subreddit.

Ah, the nice gift of a dev note on my birthday. :D

Welcome back! Hope you had a good time. Nothing much been going on here, just a few eyeballs taken out by pitchforks and wooden barns burned by torches. :P

At the end of the day, i guess the wheels keep turning but some people are finding it difficult to stay up on their own legs. 

Edited by worir4
Numerous references to some outstanding bugs that are present in game. (Please don't hurt me)

First welcome back.

Second, I have to say I don't like the sound of that.  You're going to try to fix the outstanding issues at the same time as introducing  a whole bunch of new features in 1.2.  Can't we get a fix to the problems first?  Let's get one stable version that we can actually play, and THEN add all the new features you like.  My opinion, which may not be worth much, is make the Unity fixing path a separate entity from new features.  I certainly look forward to new features, but on the other hand it seems like each version has some outstanding issue and we never will truly get a nice stable version, simply because all of the fixes are coupled with a bunch of buggy new features.

Am I the only one that feels this way?  I don't feel like I'm crazy, but I suppose if I were I'd be the last to know.

EDIT: I will say I am pleased to see the "most promising discussions" line.  It's always nice when you take community suggestions into consideration, even if they don't pan out.

Edited by Alshain

Hope you guys had a nice relaxing vacation! :D

@Squelch How did you hurt your finger?

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

First welcome back.

Second, I have to say I don't like the sound of that.  Your going to try to fix the outstanding issues at the same time as introducing  a whole bunch of new features in 1.2.  Can't we get a fix to the problems first?  Let's get one stable version that we can actually play, and THEN add all the new features you like.  My opinion, which may not be worth much, is make the Unity fixing path a separate entity from new features.

Well, the wheel part is that there are some unity fixes in the next unity version (5.4 or something) which should fix the wheels, so I hear anyway.

Still, I agree with @Alshain here that the more outstanding problems like the orbit decay, the exploding landing legs and some other stuff should be dealt with in the 1.1.3 patch.

3 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

And you guys make up for the weeks of silence with an early devnote. :D

Denotes are normally released on Tuesday...today, at the Greenwich median, is Tuesday! No early, but right on time.

I agree with most everyone else here that the top/only priority should be fixing the bugs for now. I'd also add that talking about the console version while the PC version has improperly decaying orbits and crashes is insulting

@smjjames My lab needed reorganising and I thought more shelving was a good idea. Moving stuff around meant that somehow I twisted a finger badly. When it went blue, a trip to the hospital revealed it was indeed broken.

Moral? Heavy computing can be bad for your health kids.

@Alshain A patch and 1.2 are two different things. The patch will be dealing with fixes for the current bugs only. No new content is planned for this, and as you rightly point out, would only serve to complicate matters further. The delayed features are still destined for 1.2, and there are some nice upstream Unity fixes and improvements that we would like to take advantage of too.

1 hour ago, worir4 said:

Ah, the nice gift of a dev note on my birthday. :D

Welcome back! Hope you had a good time. Nothing much been going on here, just a few eyeballs taken out by pitchforks and wooden barns burned by torches. :P

At the end of the day, i guess the wheels keep turning but some people are finding it difficult to stay up on their own legs. 

Happy birthday :)

28 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Denotes are normally released on Tuesday...today, at the Greenwich median, is Tuesday! No early, but right on time.

Ah, but in the timezone from whence I hail, they are usually released around 6 to 8 PM. These were released at 1 PM, much earlier than usual. So yes, they're on the right day, but they're also early on that day.

It's at times like this when I wish I was knowledgeable on work-flows, standard practices, necessary time-frames, and the such as it relates to game development so I could actually comment on this stuff. So all I can say is do whatever you think is best to get stable first, then right along with 1.2 so momentum keeps going over the next 2-3 months. Good luck guys :)

Edited by Glaran K'erman

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Barring a few injuries (Squelch broke a finger during the holiday)

So... do I have to be the one to point out that 'a' (aka one, 1) broken finger doth not make 'a few' injuries, not even for exceptionally large values of one?

What other injuries are we not being informed of? The public needs to know!

54 minutes ago, Squelch said:

Moral? Heavy computing can be bad for your health kids.

A lesson KSP keeps teaching us: when torque overcomes joint strength, strutting is required.

Quick healing to the injured (singular or plural alike).

3 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

So... do I have to be the one to point out that 'a' (aka one, 1) broken finger doth not make 'a few' injuries, not even for exceptionally large values of one?

What other injuries are we not being informed of? The public needs to know!

I scratched my arm trying to replace the headlight bulb on my motorbike :(

Welcome back Squad. Hope you all had a good break. 

What I've taken from this is that its going to be some time before wheels are fixed. According to the Devnotes,  1.1.3 doesn't seem to address this, and this patch is due "in the next few weeks." Rather its seems to be part of 1.2, which they have only just started planning. So at best, longer than "in the next few weeks", at worst, its in the dreaded "soon TM"  territory. I know this isn't Squads fault, its due to Unity issues... but it is disappointing that it may be some time before landing planes properly is a reality again. 

Edited by Tourist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.