The Orion Class Planet Drainer: The Biggest SSTO in... well, a while

9utiSKx.png

It's basically just a massive ship. It's 80m long, almost the size of the saturn V. Comes with modest room for 72 kerbals, and lots of fuel-mining equipment for draining planets dry. It's meant to be a massive fuel mining rig, capable of landing, mining, and returning to orbit with tens of thousands of units of fuel.

It gets to orbit with about 300m/s of delta v. I hope to increase this to 1500m/s if i can, to make it possibly the largest Single Stage To Anywhere in history. 

Any suggestions for what you'd like me to do with it, or how i should modify it?

Upd8:

So i successfully landed it on minmus (i hyperedited it into orbit of course, but at least i know it can land).

On the areas of minmus with the most ore (7.5% concentration) it can fill all its tanks in a little under 90 days. It's a long time indeed, but that's close to 1000 tons of fuel.

Then i sent a spaceplane and a small rover to check it out in its majesticness. Even from the edge of physics view it looks very majestic:

F92Hv6A.png

Edited by quasarrgames

21 hours ago, Omegagoldfish said:

How does that thing handle in the atmosphere?

Decently, actually. Requires a shallow ascent, but gets to orbit without any mishaps. It's strudy enough to do a slow, rocket-powered landing, and has parachutes to keep it pointed in the right direction. The only thing it can't do is re-entry, since it has surprisingly little drag and lots of extraneous solar panels. That's something i'm trying to fix, though.

Oh, and i forgot to mention, it's only about 160 parts. I'm not sure how good the update was to low-end computers, but i'd guess that even someone with a netbook could run it fairly well. So yay.

9 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

Decently, actually. Requires a shallow ascent, but gets to orbit without any mishaps. It's strudy enough to do a slow, rocket-powered landing, and has parachutes to keep it pointed in the right direction. The only thing it can't do is re-entry, since it has surprisingly little drag and lots of extraneous solar panels. That's something i'm trying to fix, though.

Oh, and i forgot to mention, it's only about 160 parts. I'm not sure how good the update was to low-end computers, but i'd guess that even someone with a netbook could run it fairly well. So yay.

Considering I am awful at planes, I couldn't tell what it flew like. For re-entry, try adding some radial docking ports, and docking high drag parts to it. Insane ideas are the best ideas.

Couldn't help but notice the Mk2-1m adapters at the front, perhaps if you where to add a 2m-Mk2 adapter between them you might squeeze a bit more D/V out of it?

Edited by Bloojay

• 3 months later...
On 31/05/2016 at 11:21 PM, Bloojay said:

Couldn't help but notice the Mk2-1m adapters at the front, perhaps if you where to add a 2m-Mk2 adapter between them you might squeeze a bit more D/V out of it?

I suppose i could... but the amount of fuel it would give would be practically negligible. And i'm really skimpy on partcount.

Oh yeah, and i came back to this project. Presenting the Orion Class Planet Drainer mk2:

FnLqiTn.png

It's now 103m long, 1.6 kilotons, with room for 40 kerbals and 220,000 units of fuel. It turns very slowly, but it can now land on minmus under its own power, refuel, and theoretically go anywhere (with a decent TWR of 0.1-0.25 as well!). And all this for less than 160 parts.

cmH8ZYj.png

May post a download link soon, if people seem to like it.

Edited by quasarrgames

6 hours ago, quasarrgames said:

I suppose i could... but the amount of fuel it would give would be practically negligible. And i'm really skimpy on partcount.

Yeah but it'll look nicer because it'll be flush and of course don't forget the improvement in aerodynamics :D

*twitch twitch* (please change it my ocd is killing me!)

4 hours ago, Bloojay said:

Yeah but it'll look nicer because it'll be flush and of course don't forget the improvement in aerodynamics :D

*twitch twitch* (please change it my ocd is killing me!)

Actually, you can say that they look like fangs/pincers.

Think about it:

F92Hv6A.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.