So who can't play 1.1?

TheRag

Seems to me that VAB crashes amplify over time.

I export my ckan mod list, back up my save games and do a fresh install when the VAB starts causing the game to crash. It is quite annoying to do fresh installs several times a week. But I can build rockets without to much hassle.

Tried to get back to KSP after the public prelease (which worked fine). Now I'm constantly crashing in VAB ;.;

I read somewhere that deleting parts with delete key instead of dropping them into the sidebar may help so I'll have to try that out.

Edit. Nope, didn't work

Edited by sormi

I have occasional crashes, but I blame half of them on the mods I installed, 1.1.2 ran relatively stable for me before I installed any mods. Even with the occasional VAB crashes it's still playable, as it runs stable outside of VAB. The stability of the game seems to vary quite a bit from player to player, probably because we run different sets of mods and/or have different computer setups. My PC runs Windows 7 with AMD CPU and GPU, maybe Unity and or KSP favor AMD based rigs? Probably a coincidence though.

Edited by Mjarf

I feel almost bad for saying so, but I've so far been unable to crash my game...

Sometimes I have the VAB open in the background for hours at a time while I'm chatting on IRC and working on MM configs, reloading them and verifying their effect ingame. I'll also build test vessels, launch and revert half a dozen times in two minutes, reuse the same save through constantly adding and removing various mods to test them, and other such tomfoolery.

Not a single crash for any reason since 1.1 launched. Not one. And I couldn't tell you why :(

Edited by Streetwind

20 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I feel almost bad for saying so, but I've so far been unable to crash my game...

Sometimes I have the VAB open in the background for hours at a time while I'm chatting on IRC and working on MM configs, reloading them and verifying their effect ingame. I'll also build test vessels, launch and revert half a dozen times in two minutes, reuse the same save through constantly adding and removing various mods to test them, and other such tomfoolery.

Not a single crash for any reason since 1.1 launched. Not one. And I couldn't tell you why :(

What O/S?

5 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Win 7 x64. On fairly beefy hardware.

Yeah...well something I learned is if I don't set my shortcut to windows 7 compatibility then its a total crashfest. But in compatibility mode its not as good if I were running 7. I run 10 fwiw. Anyway, I think Unity is 99% of the problem. They try to be a jack of all trades with their code and are essentially masters of none. I mean come on... how long has windows 8 been out and what version of Unity did  squad pick to build 1.1 on? 

Edited by Brian444444

12 hours ago, soulsource said:

Forget "patching" the crash bugs. If KSP crashes with the "has stopped working" message, it's quite a safe bet to say that it's caused by the Unity engine, not by KSP (of course also KSP could lead to such crashes, but those should be handled by the Mono runtime of Unity, not by Windows).

And that's where the problems start... Unity support will likely tell the KSP developers to update to the latest Unity version, especially since a known crash bug of Unity 5.2.x (and 5.1.x) has been fixed with Unity 5.3... The other option would be to get the fix for that bug backported to a previous Unity version, but having the Unity developers do this is somewhere between "quite costly" and "we don't do custom builds of earlier versions"...

Edit: There would of course be the tiny chance, that although it's very likely a Unity bug, it might eventually be worked around by not using the buggy functionality of Unity. But that depends on where exactly the bug is within Unity. If it's at an easy to find API maybe it can be avoided. If it's somewhere deep within Unity itself, then, well, see above.

No, because these extremely frequent crashes never happened in the prerelease, 1.1.0 and 1.1.1

the crashing is exclusive to 1.1.2

My V1.1.2 also crashes from time to time. But not necessarily in the VAB. It's random and I also blame my mods for it.
It doesn't crash too often, but it does occasionally, while 1.0.5 was completely stable. It's not so bad that I stop playing. It's just inconvenient atm.

For those who cant play game because of crashes, do you have all visual, vc redist etc. packages installed?

It seems very unrelated but i saw lot of people having crashes and errors on other games before installing them. Maybe it's worth to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Linux here.  Rock stable in 1.0.5.  I often remarked that KSP's linux build was one of the most stable pieces of software I've ever seen ... more stable than some standard office applications.  But now in 1.1.2 I'm getting ungraceful CDTs randomly.  Sometimes after only a minute or two in the VAB.  CTD is rare in space, but still happens.  It got frustrating and so I've shelved the game.   I only drop in here every couple days to see if there is any hope of Squad addressing the issues.  I fear not.  I'm not sure they know how.

I didn't have many crashes over the last couple of weeks until I started a new career save. Nothing is different in terms of mods.

maybe it'll get better if I manage to get a vessel on the launchPad but right now it's crashing to desktop every few minutes.

On 5/24/2016 at 8:57 PM, troyfawkes said:

If you're on windows (not sure how it works on other platforms):

1. Create a shortcut
  2. Right click -> properties
  3. In the Shortcut tab in the Target box, make sure the path is wrapped in quotations and add -popupwindow afterwards. Should look like this.

Hit apply and launch using the shortcut.

Actually I think Steam lets you add launch flags too.

By the gods thank you.  I was wondering why I couldn't get it to work.  Cursed quotations!  

And my crashes just like became suddenly very rare.  I don't know why.  I've only had one VAB crash in weeks of play when before they were semi-common with symmetry.  It seems the further I get into career the less frequent they become.

Also:  Built new rig and moved game over.  Fresh win 7 install, fresh drivers, fresh everything.  Went from crashes during staging, VAB, etc to increasingly rare.  Not sure why.  

Edited by autumnalequinox
spelling arrgh

On 25-5-2016 at 2:56 PM, Brian444444 said:

I think Unity is 99% of the problem.

There are other Unity games that do not have the problems with stability and stutters that KSP has, even though those games are still in alpha/beta.

Edited by rkman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.