What screen capture/gameplay recorder do you use?

Kuansenhama

No point in making a bloated post: To those of you who have made KSP videos and uploaded them to youtube/twitch, I want to know, what program do you use to record your gameplay, is it free, and where can I download it?

~ I'm on windows.

~ Free software is preferable, Monthly subscription is a big no-no.

+1 for Open Broadcaster Software (OBS)

it's free, cross-platform and very easy to use (once you figure out how to configure it.)
also, don't use the spyware code-named "ten"

Edited by Xyphos

25 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

I use the free game recorder that comes with windows 10. It has absolutely no lag and no watermark.

What free game recorder?  i just got a windows 10 machine, but I'm not finding it!  

I did some experiments with using ffmpeg gdigrab, it worked but was a little slow and audio was unsynched a little.  I found the windows 10 screen recorder more reliable.  window-alt-R.

31 minutes ago, lukethecoder64 said:

OK, I found it, but it's not recording.  I keep getting a notice saying there's nothing to record, even after I verified it was a game.

Question: I see this is an Xbox app... do I need an Xbox account to get it to run right?

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK, I found it, but it's not recording.  I keep getting a notice saying there's nothing to record, even after I verified it was a game.

Question: I see this is an Xbox app... do I need an Xbox account to get it to run right?

No xbox required! That happens to me too sometimes with recording. Usually being persistent will get it to work properly, but one of the pluses is that it doesn't stop recording if KSP isn't responding. You'll have to look in the "Captures" folder to find the recording tho.

5 minutes ago, Andem said:

No xbox required! That happens to me too sometimes with recording. Usually being persistent will get it to work properly, but one of the pluses is that it doesn't stop recording if KSP isn't responding. You'll have to look in the "Captures" folder to find the recording tho.

OK, I'll try it again later.  I found the folder, and apparently I recorded a clip by accident just after I bought this computer (dated late April... lol), so I know it works.  

39 minutes ago, RandomUser said:

Fraps, though I find you need a external drive for it if you want it to not lag, a LOT.  Surprised nobody uses Fraps so far. 

I use Fraps too. It's not expensive to buy, and I like having it as a framerate monitor too. Works great. I've had pretty good luck saving to local disk, though it's even better now that I'm on SSD.

2 hours ago, Andem said:

I just tried shutting down and re-starting my computer.  And lo... it works!!!   Thanks everyone!!!

Looks like it's practically unanimous.

OBS. Open source, multiplatform (Windows, Linux, OSX), can record AND broadcast (to twitch, youtube, etc.), and is fairly lightweight. It's also quite customizable as long as you know what you're doing.

Highly recommended by me and, well, almost everyone else in this thread.

My rig is an aged dual core.. But runs OBS nicely.. Took a while to find the right settings to be not choppy but it does well once I did..

Trains arnt the easiest framerate friendly thing.  But this was 1.04, my rig then was a 2gb ram 3.0 core2duo.. Low but OBS did nicely

Slightly off topic, but whenever I try to use the Windows+G recorder, I get an error saying that "this PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements for recording clips". Is there a way around that without buying a new video card?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.