Forum downtime May 27th

KasperVld

4 hours ago, KasperVld said:

I've decided to reschedule the forum update to tomorrow morning EU time. Expect a little downtime, but nothing critical.

Considering you'll already be in the admin CP, may I request that you add the page button to the editor toolbar?  It looks like this: OrptW0F.png and allows you to add a horizontal line like this:

TzXg0HY.png

15 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Considering you'll already be in the admin CP, may I request that you add the page button to the editor toolbar?  It looks like this: OrptW0F.png and allows you to add a horizontal line like this:

TzXg0HY.png

And if it's easy, adding a HR like this between auto-merged posts would be really nice.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Just checking... has it been completed,  or if not what's the next estimate as to when? 

According to this:

• Attention: Due to a forum update your activity streams and forum search will only contain old / outdated results. This will resolve itself over time.

It is.

Did you change something additional during the past few hours?

I just recognized that I can view pictures AND post/reply with the same Pale Moon settings (Firefox compatibility mode on).

If it stays like that AND works also with the Firefox compatibility mode off I will change my signature :lol:

Edit:

cheered too soon ...

It was a "hickup" (??)

I just disabled the Firefox compatibility mode, refreshed, yes pictures, no typin'

Re-enabled, yes typin', no pictures (as I'm used to).

Darn ;.;

Edited by Gordon Dry

8 hours ago, Dman979 said:

@KasperVld, is there any way you could give us a little more notice? I saw that it was posted on May 26, which isn't really that much lead time. However, I would like to say that I think you're doing an excellent job.

For the original announcement of the downtime being on the 27th, I'd have to agree, that was rather short notice for anything considered worthy of giving notice for.  However, for a pretty minor downtime like this was, does it really matter?  Surely you can find something else to do for an hour (like play KSP for instance :wink:).

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just disabled the Firefox compatibility mode, refreshed, yes pictures, no typin'

Given that Firefox itself works correctly on the forums, don't you think this would be better reported to the authors of your browser as a bug in their "firefox compatibility mode"?  There's a chance that the authors of the forum will be willing to make specific fixes for a minority browser but it wouldn't come very high up my priority list if I were developing it and I presume it won't come very high up theirs either.

6 hours ago, Sampa said:

so the forum downtime occurred this morning?  Is that why My browser was having issues this morning trying to get the forum up?

Yes, it started around noon GMT yesterday (22 and a bit hours ago) and was back (mostly) alive again in under an hour.  The re-indexing of the various activity stream and search stuff appears to be finished now as well...

Edited by Padishar
Forgot to account for GMT/BST...

Just now, Padishar said:

Yes, it started around noon GMT yesterday (23 and a bit hours ago) and was back (mostly) alive again in under an hour.  The re-indexing of the various activity stream and search stuff appears to be finished now as well...

Indeed, the forum downtime was quite limited (despite some troubles during the update process). The only planned long-term downtime was when we switched from vBulletin to IPS late last year. Naturaly, longer downtimes will be announced longer in advance. The indexing is almost complete now, so that officially completes the update :)

@KasperVld, I've been getting quite a number of these lately while either clicking links to forum threads, or trying to reply to a thread:

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S136/V

Contact Us

Is this a temporary after-effect of the forum downtime, or is there a more serious issue going on?

1 minute ago, swjr-swis said:

@KasperVld, I've been getting quite a number of these lately while either clicking links to forum threads, or trying to reply to a thread:

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S136/V

Contact Us

Is this a temporary after-effect of the forum downtime, or is there a more serious issue going on?

If you encounter this again, please send me a PM with the link to the thread you're trying to view.

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

Given that Firefox itself works correctly on the forums, don't you think this would be better reported to the authors of your browser as a bug in their "firefox compatibility mode"?  There's a chance that the authors of the forum will be willing to make specific fixes for a minority browser but it wouldn't come very high up my priority list if I were developing it and I presume it won't come very high up theirs either.

No. It's already done and the only difference between default native mode and compatibility mode is the user agent string transmitted:
default:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/20160507 PaleMoon/26.2.2
compatibility mode:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.2.2

So it's on the side of the web server settings.

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

So it's on the side of the web server settings.

Why does that follow?  If the agent string is the only difference, then the server is returning different data depending on the agent string and/or the javascript included in that data does different things depending on the agent string.  Most decent web applications these days avoid sniffing agent strings as much as possible and instead use feature based detection, though there are some things that can't be determined, so it is still sometimes necessary.  Your problem is that when the application thinks it's on Firefox, your browser does something different to Firefox and, when it doesn't think it's on Firefox, your browser does something else different to how other browsers do it.  Either way, unless there's a very good reason, it makes much more sense to fix the browser so it does work the same in at least one of the cases rather than the forum being fixed (in what could be quite a tricky issue to even diagnose, let alone fix) to work with a browser that can pretend to be, or not to be, Firefox while not working the same as either and, probably makes up <0.01% of users.  Far better for the forum developers to concentrate on other bugs/issues/features that will impact a much larger portion of their userbase.

It's a fork of Firefox, forked away before the Australis b - s- itt.

And it's known that many web sites "boycott" Pale Moon or just ignore it, using strict user agent tables that don't include Pale Moon and ¡Ya basta!

35 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

It's a fork of Firefox, forked away before the Australis b - s- itt.

And it's known that many web sites "boycott" Pale Moon or just ignore it, using strict user agent tables that don't include Pale Moon and ¡Ya basta!

I'm well aware of what it is and why it was created.  You appear to have missed the entire point of my post, you certainly haven't answered the question and you appear to believe that, despite it being your free choice to use a "minority browser that doesn't work the same as any other browser", other developers should drop what they're doing and fix their stuff to work with it... :rolleyes: