Contracts in 1.1

I foolishly started up a new career mode for 1.1 (I first started a sandbox, but then decided that career shouldn't be that much more tedious).  Remember that career mode + cheaty money & science should at least let you see how much recovery funds you get while sandbox refuses to tell you.

Anyway, I launch, launch into space, and launch into orbit (plus a pad test and a splashdown test).  Check my contracts and there is absolutely nothing for Mun.  Do I need specific techs (mainly solar panels), before these pop up, or is it trying to drag career mode out even longer to keep me from the planets?

I know there's a thread about "just how many KSP players get to the other planets", but Squad seems to be dragging career mode out even worse now.  Since Squad fixed the "bug" that let you turn on batteries after you unplug them (Kerbals lack the concept of "deep sleep"), I can see how they might have needed to change the contracts, but I thought they were based on actions in space (and reputation), not what tech you had.

Just go. You don't need contracts to go to Mun, and you'll get the First Kerbin funds anyway. You might miss out on the Explore xxx contract but in the grand scheme of things those aren't moneymakers anyway.

No, you don't need specific tech for Mun contracts. However, after only 5(?) completed contracts, your reputation is pitiful. And yes, there are more and different types of contracts now, so your list will often be full of other things. But until your rep goes seriously over 300, you aren't going to get anything other than part tests, tourist trips, and "gather readings at location X, altitude Y" contracts. Once you have a decent rep, then letting unwanted contracts expire will get you more of the ones you want.

Actually, the decision is even easier, since I like going to Minmus first.  I just have to make sure I unlock solar panels first.  I just really think that career mode ought to push "boldly going where no kerbal has gone before" and less part testing.

16 hours ago, bewing said:

It does, as soon as you've gained enough reputation.

Good.  I might need to go up again with some thermometers and other stuff to unlock solar panels.  I don't think I can get a probe to the Mun without panels and crewed missions on that type of edge are not for me (Squad nerfed the "turn off the batteries" trick, although I'll have to check it with a crew).

1 minute ago, wumpus said:

Good.  I might need to go up again with some thermometers and other stuff to unlock solar panels.  I don't think I can get a probe to the Mun without panels and crewed missions on that type of edge are not for me (Squad nerfed the "turn off the batteries" trick, although I'll have to check it with a crew).

It works with a krew. But I thought you said you were doing cheaty science & money?

Edited by bewing

1 hour ago, bewing said:

It works with a krew. But I thought you said you were doing cheaty science & money?

Cheaty science and money is the backup plan.  I'm tired of putting satellites in particular orbits, rescuing stranded kerbals and doing the science dance (especially the science dance).  If career tries to keep me doing that, I am not interested.

I also noticed the "leadership initiative" option now in the administration building (was that in 1.0?).  Adds to your milestones (and subtracts from your contracts).  Perfect for those trying to minimize grind.  Other notes:

I think I missed a few easy science options.  Solar panels unlocked.

So far I have three Duna missions backed up: Standard "go to Duna" contract.  "Go near Duna".  "Test part (fairing?) on Duna escape trajectory" (presumably tested, staged and ejected before capture).

Note that while a probe hasn't a chance of maintaining battery charge to the Mun (in a Hohmann transfer), you can blow right past it on an escape trajectory and lose power well past the Mun.  No idea what it takes to build such a craft with non-90 tech (I used a kicker as a first stage).

Have to look what a mobile processing lab takes to drop on Minmus.  That's what killed my last career game, but it might be one last full blown science dance (especially since I have to wait for the Duna window).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.