New ALT F12 option - Replace Vessel

Ok, this one would definitely fit into the 'cheating' category, but could go a long way towards addressing the 'new update causes my ship to no longer function as designed' type issues.

Basically an option to replace the active vessel, or one selected in the tracking station, with one from either the VAB or SPH.  Basically a limited function 'hyper edit' type feature. 

Eg1. .  A rover on the Mun, built in 1.0.5, now goes nuts because of the problems with the new wheel physics.  So, redesign  the rover in the SPH to correct the wheel clipping issues that cause the bad behavior, then use this feature to replace the faulty rover with the fixed one.

Eg2..  Underestimated your solar panel needs and don't find out until it's too late and in Jool orbit?  Just add them in the VAB and replace the original vessel.

Open to 'abuse' to replace a small satellite in Eeloo orbit with a 1500 part station? Yes, certainly,  but that's why I think it should be under the 'cheat menu' options.

I imagine this working either by opening the option (replace with vessel from SPH/VAB) while the vessel is in focus, or by opening the same option in the map view, which would allow you to safely replace vessels that explode on actvation.  Or maybe as an option in the editors, opening the 'replace vessel' option takes you to the map view where you select the one you want.

Edited by pandaman

You could place some limits on it like requiring identical mass. Although this would need at least some fuel tanks on the craft(s) to allow fuel to be raided (or added) to balance. Then at least the orbital mechanics are respected.

Still good for fixing stupid build mistakes.

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

You could place some limits on it like requiring identical mass. Although this would need at least some fuel tanks on the craft(s) to allow fuel to be raided (or added) to balance. Then at least the orbital mechanics are respected.

Still good for fixing stupid build mistakes.

I did wonder about that sort if thing, but figured it would just be an unnecessary complication.  Perhaps a better or alternative option would be to 'edit active vessel'.  When you select the option it loads it in the  VAB or SPH (gives you a choice), that way you can tweak it directly or, by using the normal editor (open, merge etc) features, replace it with an already constructed and tested version.

12 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

This wouldn't be useful. Mun and Minmus would fly away.

That could be useful in some situations. :wink:

I think what @CodeFantastic means is that it only effects crafts. It would be useful for testing things that are intended for low gravity environments like a Mun rover without having to fly it to the Mun. 

7 minutes ago, worir4 said:

That could be useful in some situations. :wink:

I think what @CodeFantastic means is that it only effects crafts. It would be useful for testing things that are intended for low gravity environments like a Mun rover without having to fly it to the Mun. 

Which sounds great, until you realise your GPS constellation, ScanSat arrays, refuelling platform, captured asteroids, ISRU refinery and science/research stations all drifted out of orbit too.

Just now, The_Rocketeer said:

Which sounds great, until you realise your GPS constellation, ScanSat arrays, refuelling platform, captured asteroids, ISRU refinery and science/research stations all drifted out of orbit too.

Focused vessels only?

On 2016-05-27 at 10:56 AM, The_Rocketeer said:

Now you're talking. :) But I don't know if/think the game engine works like that...

Uh, ever used Hack Gravity in the cheat menu? *cough*  It works exactly like that.

---

Also to the thread in general: I wouldn't worry about people "abusing" a cheat option.  That's exactly what they're there for.  If such a thing were implemented, I'd just go with no limits on it, and leave "acceptable use" up to the user (just like all the other options in that menu).

@pandaman Vessel Mover will be your saviour on planets. It can spawn any saved vessel under your cursor, it can't spawn vessels in orbit yet.

Ship Save Splicer can make a craft file out of any vessel you choose from the tracking station. Web version Craft Kitchen (by the creator of HyperEdit) can also extract crafts from save files, has less bugs.

Edited by Enceos

2 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Uh, ever used Hack Gravity in the cheat menu? *cough*  It works exactly like that.

---

Also to the thread in general: I wouldn't worry about people "abusing" a cheat option.  That's exactly what they're there for.  If such a thing were implemented, I'd just go with no limits on it, and leave "acceptable use" up to the user (just like all the other options in that menu).

Yes, I have, but not in a game where I'd notice whether things were out of position - I don't use hacks in serious games really ever.

In fact, the only evidence I have personally actually goes the other way - with grav hack on, my ship floated away while my kerb was EVAing to another plane on the runway. Active vessel I think not. Physics range maybe.

Anyway, if true I think Hack Gravity is probably not in fact, uh, hacking gravity. More like setting all part masses to 0 or something.

As for people abusing cheat options... well, I don't think them existing is an invitation to use them, it's probably just easier/funnier to leave them in than take them out post development. Rules are what make a game a game.

On 5/27/2016 at 4:02 AM, pandaman said:

Perhaps a better or alternative option would be to 'edit active vessel'.  When you select the option it loads it in the  VAB or SPH (gives you a choice), that way you can tweak it directly or, by using the normal editor (open, merge etc) features, replace it with an already constructed and tested version.

I would totally use this instead of KIS/KAS. :D

I think there are mods that allow all of these things, but none that wrap them up into one package.

On 1 June 2016 at 5:33 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I would totally use this instead of KIS/KAS. :D

I think there are mods that allow all of these things, but none that wrap them up into one package.

Thinking along similar lines. You could launch a craft in multiple parts Dock them then pull them into VAB to bolt them together.  Or instead of robotics us launch a craft folded up for low profile then switch to back to the virtual VAB to unfold in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would have used this already a few times. In the past I've edited the save file but it's a tricky thing to do. One problem I fixed this way was a backwards docking port before I learned which orientation was correct.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.