[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That part about transformscale is pretty useful.  I'm making a note of it for future reference.  Thanks.

Yeah, I always use the preview in Kittopia to figure out what wavelength color (or lightcolor) I want to use.  I'd like to be able to take 256 color RGB and convert straight to wavelength, but I'm still looking for an equation to do that.

I haven't tried to get a specific color, but is it so difficult?

I mean, once you are in the ballpark it should be a case of tweaking it up here, down there and the final result should be pretty close to what you want

alternatively you could make a spreadsheet and note down for different values of wavelength the colors the sky has and try to reverse engineer the formula from there

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

If i want to use randomMainMenuBodies = ? what value do i use? True?

no, just add randomMainMenuBody = true to all the Body nodes you want to get considered

Hello, I've seen someone else mention this problem but no answers. Basically, the Sun in Scaledspace is huge, and rather large out of it too. I've added screenshots with just Kopernicus removed and Kopernicus with other mods. I will note that partly the large sun in Scaledspace is due to SVE configs, if I remove them the Scaledspace Sun matches the normal sun with Kopernicus, but still not the same as with Kopernicus removed.

KSP Version: 1.2.2

Kopernicus Version: "[BACKPORT] Kopernicus 1.2.2-7" as on github. Latest SVE.

Screenshots:

output_log.txt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1abdwctvn0wyxio/output_log.txt?dl=1

I didn't understand which cfgs were wanted, if you see the output log you can see there's only 4 files referenced for Kopernicus, the default config, 2 SVE configs and one for KSPRC.

1 hour ago, SleweD said:

Hello, I've seen someone else mention this problem but no answers. Basically, the Sun in Scaledspace is huge, and rather large out of it too. I've added screenshots with just Kopernicus removed and Kopernicus with other mods. I will note that partly the large sun in Scaledspace is due to SVE configs, if I remove them the Scaledspace Sun matches the normal sun with Kopernicus, but still not the same as with Kopernicus removed.

KSP Version: 1.2.2

Kopernicus Version: "[BACKPORT] Kopernicus 1.2.2-7" as on github. Latest SVE.

Screenshots:

output_log.txt:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1abdwctvn0wyxio/output_log.txt?dl=1

I didn't understand which cfgs were wanted, if you see the output log you can see there's only 4 files referenced for Kopernicus, the default config, 2 SVE configs and one for KSPRC.

did you report this to the mods that change the sun ?

because it's most likely them that can solve the issue since that is not the stock sun but a modified version

9 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

did you report this to the mods that change the sun ?

because it's most likely them that can solve the issue since that is not the stock sun but a modified version

How can you tell it's a modified sun, it appears to be the stock sun to me? It's from SVE, I'll ask over there. Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, SleweD said:

How can you tell it's a modified sun, it appears to be the stock sun to me? It's from SVE, I'll ask over there. Thanks for your help.

this is stock (no mods installed)

Screenshot%202017-06-01%2012.22.24.png?dl=1

and this is Stock + Kopernicus + ModularFlightIntegrator + ModuleManager

Screenshot%202017-06-01%2012.27.51.png?dl=1

I'd say they look pretty much identical

and this is what you want:

34vs4SH.jpg

it's probably a custom sun flare, maybe even with a custom brightness curve

Edited by Sigma88

Is there a way to adjust the temperature the a sun gives out. I've been trying to make a smaller version of Nemesis at 66 kilometers in Diameter and to have a planetary system within it's sphere of influence means instant death by overheating. I've been trying to figure it out for a while. Any help is appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Starcow19 said:

Is there a way to adjust the temperature the a sun gives out. I've been trying to make a smaller version of Nemesis at 66 kilometers in Diameter and to have a planetary system within it's sphere of influence means instant death by overheating. I've been trying to figure it out for a while. Any help is appreciated.

I think it's 

ScaledVersion/Light/luminosity

but I never checked if it actually affects heating as well (I usually edit it for Ec/s of solar panels)

Is it possible to take the light segment from stars and give that property to gas giants in an attempt to make them glow. I don't want to make them make solar energy or heat up parts. Also is there a way to lower the temperature around stars? Thanks.

I'm not finding any specific answers to this and maybe i'm overthinking, but can you use multiple planet packs? I've only used Outer Planets Mod so far, but I just found the planet packs page and am interested in some of them. I would think that you can't, because if 2 different bodies were to occupy the same space, I can see that as game breaking.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I'm not finding any specific answers to this and maybe i'm overthinking, but can you use multiple planet packs? I've only used Outer Planets Mod so far, but I just found the planet packs page and am interested in some of them. I would think that you can't, because if 2 different bodies were to occupy the same space, I can see that as game breaking.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Thanks

Yes, you can, but some packs have bodies that occupy the same SMA resulting in bodies missing from the game. 

Edit: ninja'd by a @TheRagingIrishman. Galactic neighborhood is also a good option

Edited by Galileo

43 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I'm not really understanding what this mod does...

It says it on the OP:

"Loading multiple planet packs in the same game"

just install Galactic Neighborhood and then install the planet packs you want from the supported planet pack list.

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

It says it on the OP:

"Loading multiple planet packs in the same game

Does that imply that the game breaks if you try to load multiple packs without it? And it doesn't support every pack, so is it keeping track of which mods have planets that don't occupy the same space? 

34 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Does that imply that the game breaks if you try to load multiple packs without it?

it's not assured that multiple packs breaks the game, but it's a possibility.

some planet packs provide a list of compatible planet packs, so that might be a place to start.

when adding / changing planets it's always a good idea to backup saves and start a brand new save for the new planet configuration

35 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

And it doesn't support every pack, so is it keeping track of which mods have planets that don't occupy the same space? 

my mod generates multiple stars and loads every planet pack you install in orbit around a different star.

GN is more a "interstellar exploration" pack, rather than a career pack. so if you are looking for a career game you are better off getting planet packs.

there are some compatible with OPM, TransKeptunian and NewHorizons come to mind, and I think @GregroxMun have one as well but I can't remember if it has been released already

23 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

my mod generates multiple stars and loads every planet pack you install in orbit around a different star.

GN is more a "interstellar exploration" pack, rather than a career pack. so if you are looking for a career game you are better off getting planet packs.

there are some compatible with OPM, TransKeptunian and NewHorizons come to mind, and I think @GregroxMun have one as well but I can't remember if it has been released already

I thought about that concept as I was looking it over. Can't have planets run into each other if you just put em on different stars.

I am, in fact, playing a career game, but I'm looking for more of a mid game solution; extra locations to set up a wider solar neighborhood. But, your mod actually sounds great for the late game, exploring and populating different systems and dare I say, a galactic neighborhood.

3 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I thought about that concept as I was looking it over. Can't have planets run into each other if you just put em on different stars.

I am, in fact, playing a career game, but I'm looking for more of a mid game solution; extra locations to set up a wider solar neighborhood. But, your mod actually sounds great for the late game, exploring and populating different systems and dare I say, a galactic neighborhood.

yup, that's the general aim of the mod, I didn't put much effort in managing the career part of the mod (mostly because there's not much career left to do when you can go interstellar)

changing the planet setup midgame is not the best idea, if TransKeptunian still works you might find that mod the best solution to add planets on a OPM install

Edited by Sigma88

46 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

and I think @GregroxMun have one as well

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered :P 

Jool takes Kerbin's orbit and Kerbin itself as a moon, Eeloo is moved, and Sun has different proportions. This is just the beginning but is enough to interfere with OPM and many things.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

28 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered :P 

Jool takes Kerbin's orbit and Kerbin itself as a moon, Eeloo is moved, and Sun has different proportions. This is just the beginning but is enough to interfere with OPM and many things.

I actually do have OPM compatibility, but only because I wrote it in. Moves Eeloo, puts Vall in a Sarnuscentric orbit. I should get around to forcing the Urlum texture to be darker since it's overexposed with the brighter sun.

Edited by GregroxMun

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, Sigma88 said:

I think it's 

ScaledVersion/Light/luminosity

but I never checked if it actually affects heating as well (I usually edit it for Ec/s of solar panels)

Yes, it does affect heating.  I've only done a small amount of testing, but what tests I did run showed that temperatures were lower around stars with lower luminosities.

@Thomas P.

Alright, it was a bit of a puzzle but I figured out why the KSP 1.3 update for Kopernicus cause solar panels to no longer function when KSPIE is installed. It seems that Kopernicus resets the field _distMult in ModuleDeployableSolarPanel. KSPIE  depends on this variable for calculating maximum potential power of a solar panel. Why is it set to 0 after the 1.3 update? perhaps it is an indication of another bug?

Edited by FreeThinker

48 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@Thomas P.

Alright, it was a bit of a puzzle but I figured out why the KSP 1.3 update for Kopernicus cause solar panels to no longer function when KSPIE is installed. It seems that Kopernicus resets the field _distMult in ModuleDeployableSolarPanel. KSPIE  depends on this variable for calculating maximum potential power of a solar panel. Why is it set to 0 after the 1.3 update? perhaps it is an indication of another bug?

I'm not sure if what you are seeing is a bug or a result of the new feature.

with 1.3.0 kopernicus now can calculate ec/s from multiple stars, which means that if you have 50% exposure from 2 stars you get 50%Ec/s from the first and 50%Ec/s from the second.

Ec/s also varies with distance and luminosity of the star, as always.

18 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm not sure if what you are seeing is a bug or a result of the new feature.

with 1.3.0 kopernicus now can calculate ec/s from multiple stars, which means that if you have 50% exposure from 2 stars you get 50%Ec/s from the first and 50%Ec/s from the second.

Ec/s also varies with distance and luminosity of the star, as always.

Alright, but please tell me, how to calculate maximum power of a solar panel at it current location?

Edited by FreeThinker

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, but please tell me, how to calculate maximum power of a solar panel at it current location?

this might help you understand the math we settled on

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/166

Thomas is the one who implemented the code so I'm not 100% sure I can help you with the coding part.

but I can try

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.